Diesel pickup trucks only

Lagavulin

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Yes I have to admit I have never seen a diesel in a formula 1 car, other than that diesels are very responsive these days.

Not used in F1, but Audi have been using diesel engines (with Hybrid technology) in their LMP1 (Le Mans) cars for years, they won this class in 2012 & 13.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not used in F1, but Audi have been using diesel engines (with Hybrid technology) in their LMP1 (Le Mans) cars for years, they won this class in 2012 & 13.

I'll take your word for that, but some people seem to think that diesels are like the Perkins they used to fit in the old Tranny van.

1 hour ago, Sapporillo said:

Yes, a lot of diesels are actually as quiet, or even quieter at highway speeds than the petrol version of the same car, as measured in db. However, a petrol engine just has a much nicer sound to it, and for some people that's an important criteria, it can be either a nuisance or music in your ears. Plus, no diesel engine is as responsive to throttle input as a petrol engine. But most drivers don't care about these things, I'm aware, and if you're towing or hauling big payloads, the diesel is much better due to its torque and fuel efficiency.

But something else has also changed in the last 50 years: Diesel are at least as complicated and expensive to maintain as petrol engines nowadays, and unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money (new injectors and pump can cost thousands on some engines), they don't necessarily live longer either.

Then there's the anti-diesel craze in Europe, where diesels won't be allowed in the big cities in a few years (or something like that). It's not a problem today, but it would certainly affect the residual value down the line, if Thailand does something similar later.

Just for interest sake, I have had diesels in most of the vehicles I have owned and never once have I had to change pump or injectors.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I'll take your word for that, but some people seem to think that diesels are like the Perkins they used to fit in the old Tranny van.

From Wikipedia:

In 1931, Dave Evans drove his Cummins Diesel Special to a non-stop finish in the Indianapolis 500, the first time a car completed a race without a pit stop

In the late 1970s, Mercedes-Benz drove a C111-III with a five-cylinder diesel engine to several new records at the Nardò Ring, including driving at an average of 314 km/h (195 mph) for 12 hours and hitting a top speed of 325 km/h (201 mph).

BMW won the 24 Hours Nürburgring in 1998 with a 320d.

There are many more examples of diesel power

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

From Wikipedia:

In 1931, Dave Evans drove his Cummins Diesel Special to a non-stop finish in the Indianapolis 500, the first time a car completed a race without a pit stop

In the late 1970s, Mercedes-Benz drove a C111-III with a five-cylinder diesel engine to several new records at the Nardò Ring, including driving at an average of 314 km/h (195 mph) for 12 hours and hitting a top speed of 325 km/h (201 mph).

BMW won the 24 Hours Nürburgring in 1998 with a 320d.

There are many more examples of diesel power

I believe everything you say, I love diesels.

A diesel motor will last longer than a petrol motor because it revs at a lot lower speed and thus there is less wear in the engine. It is a fact that there are diesel trucks that have done in excess of 1 million kilometres without the engine being rebuilt. As for the pollution a lot of that is caused by the oil companies wanting to make more profit so they mix diesel with fuel oil which burns the tips of the injectors plus it is the same as a petrol vehicle they will give out pollutants if you do not keep them tuned properly.

I personally don’t think the answer is a s clear cut as many have stated. One factor is what sort of miles you do yearly and another is properly taking care of the particulate filter. There’s so many variables

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-advice/diesel-engine-pros-and-cons 

‘’Australia related but there’s is plenty of global info regarding what is the best choice based on what you use the vehicle for.

On the subject of 'noisy' diesel engines, I has to lift the bonnet and check the donger on the diesel-powered Benz panzerkampfwagen I rented in the UK it was so quiet. No vibration in the cabin either. There's a whole science (and additional expense) in making diesel dongers quiet in premium vehicles which isn't required in regular pickup trucks.

Back when we had both the 3.0 Prerunner and the Vios (1.8?) it was cheaper to drive long distances in the diesel than the petrol car despite having nearly twice the displacement and a lot less aerodynamics. 

Was quieter also. From my old failing memory they cost about the same as well.

14 hours ago, bheard said:

At odds with all the diesel enthusiasts here, the rest of the world is progressively dropping diesels . . .

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Diesel enthusiasts will not listen to that until have to park outside the bigger cities :)

I think Thailand again is doing a good job to be honest, BMTA in Bangkok has converted almost every single one of their buses, TRUE has stopped using diesel pickups and use mainly LPG, quite a few of the really big companies have or are in the process of doing the same

15 hours ago, rasg said:

To answer the original question, probably because the cost of diesel is quite a bit cheaper than petrol, diesels are taxed less and when it floods, a diesel is far more likely to get through the flooding than a petrol...

Diesel enthusiasts in this thread keep on comparing Diesel with Petrol. We're in Thailand gentlemen. You should compare with LPG

TRUE and quite a few very big private Thai companies are changing their work vehicle pickups from diesel to LPG, and they are listed on the SET stock exchange of Thailand => they'd sell their mother to get share prices to raise :)

They do not do this for the environment, it's money, money, money and they are not stupid, calculations show the same everywhere including the company I work for; LPG is cheaper than diesel in the long run also if you cater for that a diesel lasts perhaps 800,000 km and a converted petrol 400,000 km

42 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Diesel enthusiasts in this thread keep on comparing Diesel with Petrol. We're in Thailand gentlemen. You should compare with LPG

TRUE and quite a few very big private Thai companies are changing their work vehicle pickups from diesel to LPG, and they are listed on the SET stock exchange of Thailand => they'd sell their mother to get share prices to raise :)

They do not do this for the environment, it's money, money, money and they are not stupid, calculations show the same everywhere including the company I work for; LPG is cheaper than diesel in the long run also if you cater for that a diesel lasts perhaps 800,000 km and a converted petrol 400,000 km

No heavy loads or long distances for the True pickups.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No heavy loads or long distances for the True pickups.

Sure, but I would be surprised if the posters in this thread were driving diesel heavy-duty vehicles  

Long distances in diesel light-duty vehicles just emphasize the economical gains with LPG

2 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Sure, but I would be surprised if the posters in this thread were driving diesel heavy-duty vehicles  

Long distances in diesel light-duty vehicles just emphasize the economical gains with LPG

It's all about requirements,running costs and an engines design to deal with LPG I suppose..

19 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

No, not here. Diesel powered cars and pick-ups still have that death rattle. You also have only elected to trumpet the advantages and none of the disadvantages not the least of which is greater pollution. Also, with all the vehicle collisions that occur in Thailand how many result in fuel fires?

All the ones with gas conversions.

1 hour ago, transam said:

The last car I had in the UK was a 2001 diesel, it was as quiet as a petrol with no vibrations, fab car. Diesel engines can be designed to cater for any use or requirement at a cost..

merc.jpg.abb9e7ce74383831fc7b50d8237562f5.jpg

Yes same here mine was the estate version, awsome car

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

I would not have an LPG even if it was free, I see far too many burnt out

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

Diesel is an oil, oil will lubricate your engine. LPG is a gas which in turn is a dry fuel and will shorten the life of your engine, but 'up to you.'

The company calculates with double life span for diesel engines vs LPG converted petrol so already catered for and LPG conversion still comes up as more economical 

Converting diesel engines to run on LPG is extremely problematic and if it is not done correctly then the engine will become less fuel efficient and the emissions will increase.

Remembering that the base diesel engine has a far higher compression ratio than LPG needs or likes and no spark to ignite the LPG.

A pure LPG engine can never compete with diesel for pure grunt, you see this daily on the roads, the trucks running gas tend to be sluggish when a hill gets in the way.

A certain German company (along with most others no doubt) proved that software can make diesels perfectly clean and green :smile:

There is no doubt that the days of diesel engines are numbered for personal vehicles, in fact all internal combustion engines on their own, however, in certain applications, it is going to take more advancements in technology to replace diesel engines, that day will come.

7 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

The company calculates with double life span for diesel engines vs LPG converted petrol so already catered for and LPG conversion still comes up as more economical 

It's probably more economical to walk, LPG more stopping for refuelling, if you run out of gas at the side of the road can you syphon gas from another vehicle. I have had many experiences with repairing burnt out gas engines, I will stick with diesel. BTW who is "the company"