Lagavulin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, transam said:

Toyota do a petrol pickup for those who want a ride with no grunt...

Absolute rubbish comment from you as per. Op, go test drive one, they are plenty quick enough for here. Plus they don't sound like a 5 yo Kubota on start up, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Why would anyone want to buy a petrol pickup over a diesel. Diesels are mostly more economic to run, they will last double the life of a petrol engine and in the case of a crash diesels are far safer than the highly volatile petrol. And as for diesels being noisy on start up, things have changed in the last 50 years.

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

Absolute rubbish comment from you as per. Op, go test drive one, they are plenty quick enough for here. Plus they don't sound like a 5 yo Kubota on start up, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

To paraphrase Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore,

You hear that son?... I love the sound of misguided opinion in the morning... It sounds like... ignorance.

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

No, Transam is correct in this. The diesel pickups are simply much stronger, and the more loaded the more the diesel advantage.

2 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

So your input is "They are plenty quick enough for here"...What great tech advice...

I prefer to look at the "grunt" numbers myself. Plus, do I recall the petrol Vigo had a low rear end ratio to help it along, not sure but think l read it somewhere. As for modern diesels being noisy l suggest you drive one...:smile:

A friend has had a 2.7 petrol with Energy Reform LPG fitted for several years now and driven it 150,000 km by now, he has only good to say about it, especially that it's much cheaper to run than his old diesel was.

That is not feedback from one fitted with the lowest end possible cheapo LPG to save 5,000 baht on the installation cost though :)

They are diesel for the torque, simple as that, at the end of the day, a pick up is designed as a commercial vehicle, load a petrol version up to its max. payload and then try going up a steep hill.

I drove a petrol version of the Fortuner once, I could have walked faster!

I had a top of the range 3.5 lt V6 Pajero back home in Oz, towing a heavily laden boat I was only getting between 3-5 kms per litre, a friend had exactly the same vehicle but with a diesel engine and was getting 15km per litre towing a huge dual axle caravan, I was never a fan of diesels in the past, but I am now, I have had both diesel Mazda's and Mitsubishi's here in Thailand

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Why would anyone want to buy a petrol pickup over a diesel. Diesels are mostly more economic to run, they will last double the life of a petrol engine and in the case of a crash diesels are far safer than the highly volatile petrol. And as for diesels being noisy on start up, things have changed in the last 50 years.

No, not here. Diesel powered cars and pick-ups still have that death rattle. You also have only elected to trumpet the advantages and none of the disadvantages not the least of which is greater pollution. Also, with all the vehicle collisions that occur in Thailand how many result in fuel fires?

5 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

No, not here. Diesel powered cars and pick-ups still have that death rattle. You also have only elected to trumpet the advantages and none of the disadvantages not the least of which is greater pollution. Also, with all the vehicle collisions that occur in Thailand how many result in fuel fires?

What is the "death rattle"...?

32 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I don't know the statistics as to deaths relating to "fuel fires", do you know? But whichever way you want to look at it, diesels are safer, try putting a match to diesel and then to gas and petrol, I'm pretty sure you will not be here to give me the result from the last two experiments.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I would question that...

So would I, my vehicle is a 2 Litre T/C diesel with an aftermarket performance box attached and it will beat any petrol version of the same size / class off the mark and by some margin as well, get both on a motorway and see how the petrol stands up from say a 60 - 100 km/hr acceleration test.

Modern day diesel engines perform very well, all down to common rail systems and engine management, mine is reasonably quiet to boot, agreed a diesel engine will never be as quiet as petrol, but that is the mechanics of how the fuel ignites, i.e. higher compression.

To answer the original question, probably because the cost of diesel is quite a bit cheaper than petrol, diesels are taxed less and when it floods, a diesel is far more likely to get through the flooding than a petrol...

7 hours ago, vogie said:

Yes, a lot of diesels are actually as quiet, or even quieter at highway speeds than the petrol version of the same car, as measured in db. However, a petrol engine just has a much nicer sound to it, and for some people that's an important criteria, it can be either a nuisance or music in your ears. Plus, no diesel engine is as responsive to throttle input as a petrol engine. But most drivers don't care about these things, I'm aware, and if you're towing or hauling big payloads, the diesel is much better due to its torque and fuel efficiency.

But something else has also changed in the last 50 years: Diesel are at least as complicated and expensive to maintain as petrol engines nowadays, and unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money (new injectors and pump can cost thousands on some engines), they don't necessarily live longer either.

Then there's the anti-diesel craze in Europe, where diesels won't be allowed in the big cities in a few years (or something like that). It's not a problem today, but it would certainly affect the residual value down the line, if Thailand does something similar later.

9 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

Yes, a lot of diesels are actually as quiet, or even quieter at highway speeds than the petrol version of the same car, as measured in db. However, a petrol engine just has a much nicer sound to it, and for some people that's an important criteria, it can be either a nuisance or music in your ears. Plus, no diesel engine is as responsive to throttle input as a petrol engine. But most drivers don't care about these things, I'm aware, and if you're towing or hauling big payloads, the diesel is much better due to its torque and fuel efficiency.

But something else has also changed in the last 50 years: Diesel are at least as complicated and expensive to maintain as petrol engines nowadays, and unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money (new injectors and pump can cost thousands on some engines), they don't necessarily live longer either.

Then there's the anti-diesel craze in Europe, where diesels won't be allowed in the big cities in a few years (or something like that). It's not a problem today, but it would certainly affect the residual value down the line, if Thailand does something similar later.

I would question a lot of that stuff...:stoner:

39 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

Then there's the anti-diesel craze in Europe, where diesels won't be allowed in the big cities in a few years (or something like that). It's not a problem today, but it would certainly affect the residual value down the line, if Thailand does something similar later

That will come here too, it will take quite some time before it takes off here but it will be implemented faster than we expect when they start.

I am 54 and I will one day drive around in Bangkok and see what difference a diesel free Bangkok did.

It made a big difference when 2 strokes more or less disappeared. There was a blue tint around the busy intersections in the early 90's, the blue is gone now :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Each to his own. Petrol usually gives better acceleration cc vs cc; however, way behind on torque and fuel economy.

Torque is what you want for hauling heavy loads.

Yes I have to admit I have never seen a diesel in a formula 1 car, other than that diesels are very responsive these days.