Diesel pickup trucks only

Lagavulin

36 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

I would not have an LPG even if it was free, I see far too many burnt out

Yes, Thai's are masters at saving 5,000 baht on the initial conversion cost, use bad quality every day for 10 years and of course spend much more at the end of the day. But there are better quality options to choose from

A colleague requested quotation for their fleet of a hundred or so vehicles and were happy with the what they got for the price. Some Thai's laughed and commented - I can get one car converted 5,000 baht cheaper than that, others understood the point: Quality 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

It's probably more economical to walk, LPG more stopping for refuelling, if you run out of gas at the side of the road can you syphon gas from another vehicle. I have had many experiences with repairing burnt out gas engines, I will stick with diesel. BTW who is "the company"

American multi-national with a fleet of 400 cars. Sorry but not at privilege to be more detailed

39 minutes ago, Mattd said:

A certain German company (along with most others no doubt) proved that software can make diesels perfectly clean and green :smile:

There is no doubt that the days of diesel engines are numbered for personal vehicles, in fact all internal combustion engines on their own, however, in certain applications, it is going to take more advancements in technology to replace diesel engines, that day will come.

Interesting and fun article to read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

Also the new WLTP standard is unfortunately open for "test optimisation", to a lesser extent

Edited by MikeyIdea

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Nuff said!

No one with that name in the company any longer. There was before I started there in 1997 but he left because he didn't like the difficult and tough American company culture :)

It's not an easy company but it's a very good company to work for, as long as you perform only

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Diesel is an oil, oil will lubricate your engine. LPG is a gas which in turn is a dry fuel and will shorten the life of your engine, but 'up to you.'

Hogwash 2.0

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It's probably more economical to walk, LPG more stopping for refuelling, if you run out of gas at the side of the road can you syphon gas from another vehicle. I have had many experiences with repairing burnt out gas engines, I will stick with diesel. BTW who is "the company"

You do realize that LPG conversions are dual fuel do you not ?

3 hours ago, vogie said:

one will shorten it's life

Hogwash 3.0

Tell that to taxi operators who travel over 300K, or 400K, or 500K, on original engine. Never had the valve cover off. In stop and go traffic, which is the most damaging type of driving to do to an engine. Sit and idle 50% of the time. Which is why it is called extreme service.

Your lack of knowledge becomes more and more apparent the more you post this drivel.

17 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Hogwash 3.0

Tell that to taxi operators who travel over 300K, or 400K, or 500K, on original engine. Never had the valve cover off. In stop and go traffic, which is the most damaging type of driving to do to an engine. Sit and idle 50% of the time. Which is why it is called extreme service.

Your lack of knowledge becomes more and more apparent the more you post this drivel.

Are you saying you can convert a diesel to LPG. What qualifications have you got btw. I have answered you without being rude, if you cannot do the same please refrain from answering my post as I can see where this is going.

27 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Hogwash 3.0

Think that is rather a broad statement...:stoner:

I like old diesels. Before the EGR, DPF, DEF and SCR additions.

Sure it helps to keep the exhaust gasses cleaner but the dirt will just go elsewhere. With EGR the exhaust gasses are just sucked up together with fresh air to give it a 'second burn'. This lowers the power output as you now introduce soot into the airflow. This soot ends up in your oil and because the soot is abrasive it does its part to lower the life expectancy of your engine. It can even plug the holes preventing bearings to get enough oil.

All those additions are detrimental to the workings of a diesel engine, but they are better for the environment.

As there seem to be no good solutions to get diesel less dirty it will be phased out. Probably with electric as that also offers lots of torque, especially at low speeds.

13 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

clearly you do not watch Thai TV, nearly every day my wife tells me another gas car/van burnt out

Clearly you do not watch TV either if you believe how many "gas car/van burnt out" your wife claims she sees on the telly.

But maybe that's just you.

Edited by NanLaew

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Clearly you do not watch TV either if you believe what your wife tells you about what she sees on the telly.

But maybe that's just you.

I believe what my wife tells me about what she sees on telly. What reason does your wife have to lie to you about a news item, in the past have you given her reason to lie to you?

But maybe that is most of us and not just you.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I believe what my wife tells me about what she sees on telly. What reason does your wife have to lie to you about a news item, in the past have you given her reason to lie to you?

TBH, Mrs NL doesn't tell me what she sees on telly, that's her business. However, most weekday mornings, we watch the national, Thai language news on the telly together. I can say without fear of contradiction that "gas car/van burnt out" are NOT a daily staple of the national news.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

TBH, Mrs NL doesn't tell me what she sees on telly, that's her business. However, most weekday mornings, we watch the national, Thai language news on the telly together. I can say without fear of contradiction that "gas car/van burnt out" are NOT a daily staple of the national news.

Maybe you watch different channels to MINIMIG. I for one have no reason to doubt him knowing what I know about gas engines. But each to his own, as Trans said and I agree I would not be happy knowing I have a bomb in the back of my car disguised as a fuel tank.

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not a F1 but definitely a diesel racing car and a winner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI

1024px-Neckarsulm-AudiForum-Audi-R10-TDI

The point I was trying to make Crossy is that some people still think of diesel engines as same as the Perkins they used to fit into old Ford Transit. We have a 2.2 diesel Mazda BT50 and it goes like sh☆t off a shovel, truly amazing.

Way back when many UK rides had the fuel tank in the boot, the ones l recall were bolted to the back seat bulkhead well away from a rear end shunt, but these were not pressurised tanks.

On my fun ride I had a tank fabricated to fit in the boot together with a 1000psi N2O bottle.

But, I installed a sheet metal bulkhead behind the rear seat to make me feel better...:stoner:

I have never been a fan of diesel engines but you cannot argue the economy and engine life figures. Thailand is one of the countries that puts alcohol in the petrol(Gasohol), this keeps the engine clean by wearing it away, the higher the E number the greater the wear.

People should also remember that the Thai government capped the price of diesel, not sure if that is still in play, but during the period of high oil prices there was a very significant saving with diesel.

Personally I wouldn't touch LPG with a barge pole.

A few years back a LPG lorry crashed into a gold shop just off the Chonburi bypass. A couple of opportunists passing by rushed into the shop to see what they could grab. The lorry exploded killing the shop owner, the driver and one of the looters, the other looter and the shop assistant were badly injured.

Bad enough having to drive among them far less behind the wheel.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, vogie said:

Are you saying you can convert a diesel to LPG. What qualifications have you got btw. I have answered you without being rude, if you cannot do the same please refrain from answering my post as I can see where this is going.

The above is your answer to the taxi discussion:

There are 106,000 taxis registered in Bangkok as of 2012 and fortunately for the environment, almost none or all of them are diesel. No one in this thread is talking about converting diesel to LPG so why do you mention converting diesel to LPG?

Edited by MikeyIdea

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, transam said:

Way back when many UK rides had the fuel tank in the boot, the ones l recall were bolted to the back seat bulkhead well away from a rear end shunt, but these were not pressurised tanks.

On my fun ride I had a tank fabricated to fit in the boot together with a 1000psi N2O bottle.

But, I installed a sheet metal bulkhead behind the rear seat to make me feel better...:stoner:

Thailand is creating new Ford Pinto's every day :) There are regulations for how far pressurised tanks must be from the rear end of a car also in Thailand but many just bribe the car past that 

Edited by MikeyIdea

14 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

The above is your answer to the taxi discussion:

There are 106,000 taxis registered in Bangkok as of 2012 and fortunately for the environment, almost none or all of them are diesel. No one in this thread is talking about converting diesel to LPG so why do you mention converting diesel to LPG?

You do know that this is the 'Diesel and Pickup Forum' don't you?

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, NanLaew said:
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, vogie said:

No one is lying I suppose, there are lots of free Thai channels showing "edutainment" and "news" containing what the uneducated want which of course is news about soap opera stars and as greasy as possible accidents. They are hugely subjective and anyone who believe what they say or show is certainly not a critical thinker :laugh: