Six illegal hostels owned by foreigners on Koh Pha Ngan closed

webfact

3 hours ago, James3225 said:

Again, you’re assuming. We own a hostel, my Thai wife and I, we pay taxes, we register all of our guests with imagration as required by law, we have a guest house licenses, we didn’t get shut down, and yet somehow we are incorrectly listed in the above article.

its irresponsible and inaccurate reporting. 

call them, if no reaction, file a case for defamation, cost you almost nothing and brings a lot of positive adverts (if it is correct)

Edited by blubb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, scratchy said:

Over a decade now koh phangan was absolutely full of tourists, you could easily find a basic wooden backpacker bungalow on the beach with a bed and a hammock on the porch for 150-250 baht and people could stay for the long term. It was all you needed to see out the European winter.

Somewhere along the time line greedy locals saw many resorts in samui and phuket and thought they could make more money if they thought they could attract a higher status tourist, cutting down the natural surroundings we come here for and building concrete monstrosities 10 times the price of a wooden bungalow, trashing what we came here for. was it any surprise no one could afford to stay there for the winter?

Haad rin is now a ghost town, a shadow of its former self destroyed by greed, granted 3-4 days around full moon time it's busy again but quickly goes dead.

Smart operators set up backpacker hostels further inland than the beaches we would stay on prior so no one status for the long term but they are a lot of fun for young backpackers and it's laughable that the locals are livid.

I recommend they should go back to basic wooden bungalows with a mattress and a fan inside with a hammock on the porch and charge a realistic price then the island could be busy all year, air conditioning and lcd tv's in concrete bungalows in the beach are a curse for local tourism.

Spot on.
I know this island for 25 years and the development is sad.
Haadrin, with one of the nicest beaches has got lost 15 years ago, when many owners have started to built concrete row houses on the beach properties. Today Haadrin looks more like a slum then a Holiday Destination.
The same has happened years ago with Mae Hat, prior has national park Level in front from Koh Ma. Now there are spread ugly concrete resorts which have bolted the beach accesses with high walls and barbed wire.
Now the same happens with Chaloklam, formerly the last nice and natural fishing village of three islands Samui, Phangan and Tao. Now with a illegal high built Hotel construction, which looks like a toilet.
The last development are concrete houses near the beach with 4-metre-high concrete walls around.
At Tong Nai Pan Noi is the same.
Nature shaved away and concrete in poured.
Soon also Koh Phangan will be destroyed by corruption, greed and money laundering.
And often the big Investors coming from the mainland and give a s..t for the Island born natives.
In Thailand it is all about money.

Edited by tomacht8

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Illegal hotels are more than just jealousy issues, when you operate

an illegal business, you don't pay taxes, you don't adhere to hygiene and

safety regulations and no one knows who's checked in or out because

the authorities doesn't know you're exist and thus no come to check,

is that the kind of place you'll like to spend the night?...

no worries, authorities know those places darn well, it is their guarantee of income...!

3 hours ago, James3225 said:

This article is completely inaccurate. None of the Hostels mentioned have been closed and several of them are owned by Thai / Foreign married couples. Lastly and most importantly there is no “hostel license” currently in existence in the Thai system. They’ve proposed one, but it has been agreed on and put in place by the government as of now. 

Irresponsible reporting. 

There is no hostel license. It follows under the hotel license which is impossible to get. They're making a big stink about the Koh phangan hostels but what about the hundreds of hostels throughout the country that also continue to work without license. It's the mafia on the island who are trying to run these people out.

1 hour ago, Ninni said:

James 3225

You have a hostel with a guesthouse

license because it's nothing called

hostel license. Hope I got that right!

What is the big diffrent with hostel and guesthouse? I have lived in guesthouses with both dorms and privat rooms so mayby your guesthouse license cover it all?

He can't have more than 20 guests with homestay license.... Wich I assume he has. No such thing as a guest house license it's called Homestay limited to 20 guests. James can we know the name of your hostel so we can see how many beds you're renting since you're so honest and do business on the up-and-up

There is no hostel license. It follows under the hotel license which is impossible to get. They're making a big stink about the Koh phangan hostels but what about the hundreds of hostels throughout the country that also continue to work without license. It's the mafia on the island who are trying to run these people out.
If they do nothing it's the ridiculously boring "brown envelope"

If they do anything it's "mafia"

1 minute ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I agree. Dot the ‘I’ and cross the ‘T’ pay the Tax and get the License. I think that’s how it works EVERYWHERE. Good riddance to the cheaters!

But what about all the rest I know for a fact that there are at least 70 more hostels that do not have a license why were they not shut down? The six that were shut down maybe they didn't have enough money in the envelope?

6 hours ago, scratchy said:

Over a decade now koh phangan was absolutely full of tourists, you could easily find a basic wooden backpacker bungalow on the beach with a bed and a hammock on the porch for 150-250 baht and people could stay for the long term. It was all you needed to see out the European winter.

Somewhere along the time line greedy locals saw many resorts in samui and phuket and thought they could make more money if they thought they could attract a higher status tourist, cutting down the natural surroundings we come here for and building concrete monstrosities 10 times the price of a wooden bungalow, trashing what we came here for. was it any surprise no one could afford to stay there for the winter?

Haad rin is now a ghost town, a shadow of its former self destroyed by greed, granted 3-4 days around full moon time it's busy again but quickly goes dead.

Smart operators set up backpacker hostels further inland than the beaches we would stay on prior so no one status for the long term but they are a lot of fun for young backpackers and it's laughable that the locals are livid.

I recommend they should go back to basic wooden bungalows with a mattress and a fan inside with a hammock on the porch and charge a realistic price then the island could be busy all year, air conditioning and lcd tv's in concrete bungalows in the beach are a curse for local tourism.

In skipping Thailand these days, will begin staying at a place in the Philippines like what you said...native hut room with fan near the beach, huge covered deck with inexpensive bar, food and motorbikes for rent...party resort, about as nice and cheap as they get.  

so the Thais were jealous about the good business plan of the foreigners. How long they ran this business already?

Anyway I hope they saved the money somewhere or they should have given to me as a loan.....very popular business at present......see watches/Prawit

I do not know who James is, but saw him posting his opinions and it would appear now that he has been deleted or banned from the page, so don't think we will be hearing from him.

However, I live on the Island, also have a hostel here (not mentioned), and just did a drive up and down the street and all of these hostels appear to be open and operating. 

It is a shame to see all of these guys have their names tarnished for no reason.

4 hours ago, metisdead said:

The ThaiVisa News Team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and International sources, and republishes them in the News Forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our News Team works hard to bring quality content to the News Forums, and should be respected for their efforts.
Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are neither respectful nor welcome on the forum, and will be considered as troll comments and removed and the offending poster warned and/or suspended accordingly.
Except as otherwise indicated in the byline, news bulletins are reprinted verbatim from a mass media source which has given TV permission to use its feed. 
Original articles, especially in the Thai press, often have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ThaiVisa is not responsible for these nor does ThaiVisa have the rights to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ThaiVisa is not responsible for any opinions reflected  or quoted in reprinted news stories.

As it was The Nation that reported this, perhaps you can contact them here:

If I repeat a slander or libel someone else has disseminated to me, I would have thought I would be equally guilty of defamation in the eyes of the law.

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

So, if you were the owner of one of the legal hotels that was being undercut by illegal foreigners....I know you wouldn't be jealous, ...so how would you handle it.....go over to them and clap them on the back for being such great entrepanures and ask them to build a few more of their hostels so they can really put you out of business much faster than they are doing now.

No around here i thought they just ran over them in a truck, drowned them or planted drugs on them, normal local tricks

As far I understand they shut down the bars on this hostels for the night. 

The hotel license is 10.000 baht below 50 rooms. 

They also had bars, so should have paid 20.000 baht licence.

This is the licence fee for operating hotel with restaurant. 

Owners will get a fine for operating without correct licence  (40.000 baht) 

Some might got caught not renewal of licence, all licences expired on new year. 

People are to busy to go and renew licences. 

Off course they are open next day, they just went and paid the fine and correct licence. 

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

So, if you were the owner of one of the legal hotels that was being undercut by illegal foreigners....I know you wouldn't be jealous, ...so how would you handle it.....go over to them and clap them on the back for being such great entrepanures and ask them to build a few more of their hostels so they can really put you out of business much faster than they are doing now.

... look Woody idiots, idiots everywhere. 

68ADD0BE-97C8-41FC-9E74-F98AD2990CD9.jpeg

... not long now until the locals run  this once beautiful country into the garbage heap.

Greed, greed, greed, the days of the gentle nature have gone, many now are hell bent on ‘me, me, me’ and wow to anyone who gets in their way. 

You only have to see the standard of driving to understand the logic !!! 

Edited by mindfulness
... grammar error

6 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

As far as I know there is nothing called guesthouse license, only hotel license.

There are four different types of hotel licenses:

1. Hotel business only, for up to 50 rooms: application fee at 10,000 THB
  2. Hotel and restaurant business: application fee of 20,000 THB
  3. Hotel, restaurant and seminar rooms: application fee of 30,000 THB
  4. Hotel, restaurant, seminar rooms, entertainment business: application fee of 40,000 THB

An additional fee of 80 THB per room per year is due.

hotel-license.png

http://www.interactivethailand.com/corporate/business-licenses/hotel-license/

There is a designation for a quest house and it is different than a hotel. Afriend here in Chiang Mai runs a quest House they wanted to change to a hotel last year. He got his lawyer involved end of story, still a quest house

45 minutes ago, moe666 said:

There is a designation for a quest house and it is different than a hotel. Afriend here in Chiang Mai runs a quest House they wanted to change to a hotel last year. He got his lawyer involved end of story, still a quest house

So how does that license look like?

Post removed.

Google ad rules.

sexually suggestive and/or intended to cause sexual arousal.
Examples of content that may be considered sexually gratifying include, but are not limited to:

close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches
    sheer or see-through clothing or lingerie
    strategically covered nudity (includes situations in which genitals are blurred out by camera)
    images of men or women posing and/or undressing in a seductive manner

4 hours ago, Hostel KP said:

It is a shame to see all of these guys have their names tarnished for no reason.

Ohh, but there was a reason, apparently. And that being that the targeted places were/are at least partly owned/operated by non-Thais. And that wasn't sitting well with the locals running similar businesses in the area.

2 hours ago, mindfulness said:

... not long now until the locals run  this once beautiful country into the garbage heap.

Greed, greed, greed, the days of the gentle nature have gone, many now are hell bent on ‘me, me, me’ and wow to anyone who gets in their way. 

You only have to see the standard of driving to understand the logic !!! 

It's already there I'm afraid, and it is only going to get worse. Sad really, Your second sentence says it all. 

12 hours ago, scratchy said:

"...air conditioning and lcd tv's in concrete bungalows in the beach are a curse for local tourism".

No, you're getting mixed up, it's penniless backpackers that are a curse for local tourism

16 hours ago, James3225 said:

Again, you’re assuming. We own a hostel, my Thai wife and I, we pay taxes, we register all of our guests with imagration as required by law, we have a guest house licenses, we didn’t get shut down, and yet somehow we are incorrectly listed in the above article.

its irresponsible and inaccurate reporting. 

so whats new TIT

13 hours ago, johnefallis said:

In skipping Thailand these days, will begin staying at a place in the Philippines like what you said...native hut room with fan near the beach, huge covered deck with inexpensive bar, food and motorbikes for rent...party resort, about as nice and cheap as they get.  

Ya but you can get killed just for smokin some herb with that idiot Deterte

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

As far I understand they shut down the bars on this hostels for the night. 

The hotel license is 10.000 baht below 50 rooms. 

They also had bars, so should have paid 20.000 baht licence.

This is the licence fee for operating hotel with restaurant. 

Owners will get a fine for operating without correct licence  (40.000 baht) 

Some might got caught not renewal of licence, all licences expired on new year. 

People are to busy to go and renew licences. 

Off course they are open next day, they just went and paid the fine and correct licence.