Phuket: Child locked in car by auto-locking system

webfact

Child locked in car by auto-locking system

By The Nation

Rescuers had to break a car’s window after its doors automatically locked with both a toddler and the car key inside in Phuket’s Mueang district on Thursday morning.

The mother, 36, whose name was withheld, sought help from the people nearby after she was unable to open her car door, and police and rescuers were alerted at 8.40am.

The mother said she took her one-year-old son with her while shopping, and did not leave him in the car. When she returned to the car, she opened the back door and put her son in the baby seat but made the mistake of placing her keys near the console. She opened the back door and walked to the driver side to open the door but the automatic locking system had already locked the doors.

Officials from a local foundation tried various means but were unable to unlock the doors. The mother eventually agreed to allow a window to be smashed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30337143

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-25

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

The woman eventually agreed to allow the window to be smashed.

Her first thought when they couldnt open the door, should have been smash it, my baby is important, replacing a window isnt.

Maybe she was hoping there would be another solution.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Nonsense , baby important nothing else matters.

Babies have died in hot cars.

Nonsense, you don't know the timeframe. She was there the whole time.

Child safety is paramount, but your presumption the child was endangered seems incorrect.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Child safety is paramount, but your presumption the child was endangered seems incorrect.

Exactly correct. Mother was fussing about getting the 2 kids strapped in  and then the auto lock kicked in. Easy easy to happen.  Done it myself in error (no kids involved). Keep spare key handy. 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You never appear happy when somebody disagrees with you, do you?

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You never appear happy when somebody disagrees with you, do you?

This is about you accusing her of endangering her child, which reading the story is simply not true.

And called out on that you try to make it about me?

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

This is about you accusing her of endangering her child, which reading the story is simply not true.

And called out on that you try to make it about me?

The most precious thing on this earth is human life, the most precious to a mother is her baby.

Also stop posting nonsense about me accusing the woman of anything, go take a chill pill.

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The most precious thing on this earth is human life, the most precious to a mother is her baby.

Also stop posting nonsense about me accusing the woman of anything, go take a chill pill.

That is what happens when you talk about children dying due to heat in a story about a mother who locked her kid in a car. On top of that, you're blaming her for incorrect handling the situation.

29 minutes ago, schlog said:

BTW the key guy at ground level Big C is great. He would open the car under 1 min and prepare 2 spare key in 5 additional minutes.

That would be great assuming that he has a spare remote with the correct keys.

It happened to me once in BKK and I has left the engine running and as I closed the rear door I caught the lock and shut the door. The front door was closed so I was locked out, engine running. Fortunately I still had my mobile and called my wife to come with her remote so I was lucky.

The other time was when the locking system developed a mind of its own and it would unlock the doors ONLY if I held the button down. As soon as I got the door unlocked and open the alarm went off. When I got inside the only way to stop it was to start the engine and the fix was to change the remote batteries while making sure that the window was open so that I could pull the door lock lever to regain entry.

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

Nonsense , baby important nothing else matters.

Babies have died in hot cars.

In general you may be right, but in this specific case it seems the child was not in

any immediate danger. From what I can surmise from the article, I probably would have acted like the mother.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

put her son in the baby seat

This one little part of the article makes me happy.

Seems like a responsible parent which made a tiny error.

Everybody with kids knows that these things happen as kids have little patience and everything you do becomes a whole process with kids around (you can't leave them unattended for a second).

1 hour ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Would be interested to know what kind of car locks automatically when its not moving.

My car not even let me lock the door from the outside if my smartkey is still in the car.

Many cars. Open with remote and after 30 seconds or so it automatically locks again.

You cannot unlock the doors on Toyota Revo from outside the vehicle with the remote when the car is running. If fact you also cannot lock them with the remote when the vehicle is running. Of course there is no key slot on the door. Our dog stepped on the door lock from inside the vehicle and we had to break the window to get inside even though we had the remote in hand. Thanks Toyota! 

20 minutes ago, fullcave said:

You cannot unlock the doors on Toyota Revo from outside the vehicle with the remote when the car is running. If fact you also cannot lock them with the remote when the vehicle is running. Of course there is no key slot on the door. Our dog stepped on the door lock from inside the vehicle and we had to break the window to get inside even though we had the remote in hand. Thanks Toyota! 

Seems unlikely the car was running.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, stevenl said:

That is what happens when you talk about children dying due to heat in a story about a mother who locked her kid in a car. On top of that, you're blaming her for incorrect handling the situation.

Or- 'this is what happens at the other end of the country and has no bearing on me but I'll stick my nose into a Phuket thread because I KNOW BETTER'. :post-4641-1156694572: 

People upcountry seem to have far too much time on their hands- I didn't feel it necessary to rush off to their bit of the forum and comment on the Airport fire!

Edited by Psimbo