declare cash at customs or not

bit of a grey area here.

im carrying £8000 pounds home 

its under the allowed 10,000 euro 

1.  do i walk through the nothing to declare zone ?   

2.  if asked by an officer if i have anything to declare then since i have under the allowed amount must i answer him and say yes i have cash ? 

cash taken from my thai bank from sale of condo last year,   all fully legal. 

I agree with the previous advice, you don’t need to go through the red channel and declare it as you’re under the threshold for declaring by about £850.
As said if you’re stopped then mention it, and be prepared to prove the source of the funds even though you’re under the declaration threshold.
They use sometimes use dogs on the way out to sniff out money, they can smell the ink, but I’ve never seen them on entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 1/26/2018 at 2:58 PM, theoldgit said:

As said if you’re stopped then mention it, and be prepared to prove the source of the funds even though you’re under the declaration threshold.

Sound advice, make sure that you have some way of proving that the funds legally belong to you, just in case of a random stop.

25 minutes ago, keithpa said:

How do you prove that the funds legally belong to you,

Many ways, in the OP's case, then he should have proof of the sale of his condo, bank statements, currency exchange slips etc.

There have been several cases where people have had cash seized by UK customs, as they have not been able to show proof of where it came from, they can seize cash for up to 48 hours without a court order and longer with.

Edited by Mattd

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Many ways, in the OP's case, then he should have proof of the sale of his condo, bank statements, currency exchange slips etc.

There have been several cases where people have had cash seized by UK customs, as they have not been able to show proof of where it came from, they can seize cash for up to 48 hours without a court order and longer with.

Bank statements, he put illegally gotten gains into the bank, then drew it out. Currency exchange, he exchanged illegally gotten gain in US $ and cashed them for Thai baht. These methods are common and well known by the authorities. Condo sale, if he can show the money coming into Thailand, that will do.

2 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Bank statements, he put illegally gotten gains into the bank, then drew it out. Currency exchange, he exchanged illegally gotten gain in US $ and cashed them for Thai baht. These methods are common and well known by the authorities. Condo sale, if he can show the money coming into Thailand, that will do.

Since 9/11, there are restrictions in place for largish deposits or withdrawals in to a financial institution, so the safeguards are, at least according to the establishment, already in place in that regard, there are a lot of ways of proving where the cash came from, i.e. salary, proceeds of a sale, inheritance, pension payout, winnings of some sort, dividend payments, the list is endless.

You would probably be asked questions if you tried to exchange a large amount of cash, so would likely have to do this several times to avoid suspicion if it was ill gotten gains, which would raise eyebrows the other end.

In the case of the OP, yes the sale of his condo should be fine, especially as it is below the limit allowed.

Where it goes wrong is when there is no explanation or it is obviously fabricated with no trail.