Name

Address/map/directions

Website

Telephone

Hours

Menu

Thanks for asking.

Sunrise Tacos

Located between Soi 12 and Soi 14 on Sukhumvit Rd. ( near the Price Leader, next to the Times Square Building)

02- 229-4851 Fax 02- 229- 4984

Hours now are 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. After May 5th, 2007; Sunrise Tacos will be open everyday 24 hours.

Menu ...

post-2725-1176891689_thumb.jpg

post-2725-1176891642_thumb.jpg

post-2725-1176894664_thumb.jpg

website www.sunrisetacos.com should be up by tonight.

Greg

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, at the risk of seeming stupid here, what exactly is the difference between a burrito and a taco?

Taco: Small tortilla, folded in half. It can be a crispy corn tortilla or a soft flour tortilla.

Burrito: Large flour tortilla, wrapped completely around the fillings.

A taco does not in most cases have rice or beans while a burrito for most folks will have beans and rice.

A taco in most cases will have lettuce while a burrito does not. Just depends on who is making them in the World.

Greg

That menu sounds very promising!

My only question is the price on the guacamole "extra" at 69 baht. Thats over half the price of the burrito itself. Is that only a portion on your burrito or a real side dish? Price seems really high for a burrito portion. Yes, I know avacados are quite expensive, but don't you get a wholesale price?

BTW, assuming your food is as great as it sounds, when can we expect a branch to open in Pattaya/Jomtien? I think this menu would be a huge hit here. Congrats on your grand opening!

Edited by Jingthing

Just stopped by last night.

I can honestly say that it is the most authentic tasting mex Ive had in Thailand, not to mention the cheapest.

The girlfriend didn't think too highly, then again I wasn't expecting her to.

Will definitely be a return customer!

Yes, I know avacados are quite expensive, but don't you get a wholesale price?
Avocados are just expensive. Right now we are using Haas avocados. Wholesale or retail is the almost the same price because of the customs duties.
BTW, assuming your food is as great as it sounds, when can we expect a branch to open in Pattaya/Jomtien? I think this menu would be a huge hit here. Congrats on your grand opening!

Thanks. We may franchise but it will be at leat a year before we expand.

Just stopped by last night.

I can honestly say that it is the most authentic tasting mex Ive had in Thailand, not to mention the cheapest.

The girlfriend didn't think too highly, then again I wasn't expecting her to.

Will definitely be a return customer!

Thank you. Glad to hear you liked the food. Hope to see you again.

Greg

Had this the other day, it was excellent, as authentic as any I've seen outside the US. My only recommendation would be to expand the menu, although it is great considering it just opened. Combo meals, for example 2 tacos plus beans and rice, that could be placed in a box and taken away, would be fantastic. It'd also be great if you could get the burrito 'enchilada style,' covered in sauce, melted cheese, and sour cream. My main request though, would be quesadillas. The carne asada tacos I had were excellent, but now I want to have it stuffed in a tortilla and dripping with melted cheese. This is all minor though, the food is excellent right now. I'm looking forward to the business hours expanding so I can get burritos at 3am.

Had this the other day, it was excellent, as authentic as any I've seen outside the US. My only recommendation would be to expand the menu, although it is great considering it just opened. Combo meals, for example 2 tacos plus beans and rice, that could be placed in a box and taken away, would be fantastic. It'd also be great if you could get the burrito 'enchilada style,' covered in sauce, melted cheese, and sour cream. My main request though, would be quesadillas. The carne asada tacos I had were excellent, but now I want to have it stuffed in a tortilla and dripping with melted cheese. This is all minor though, the food is excellent right now. I'm looking forward to the business hours expanding so I can get burritos at 3am.

Thank you for your comments.

We are now open from 12"00 noon till 11 p.m. In another week, we'll be open 24 hours.

I must say, of all our restaurants the daily sales are the lowest at Sunrise Tacos. Most everybody loves the food and we have had a good # of repeats and some referrals. (very rare to find anything left on peoples plates after eating)

However with our low prices we need lots of high volume. It’s not a slam dunk success right now financially after 6 days. Time will tell if it will be.

Greg

i was just thinking, this would be much better if it was located on the other side of the street. i dont think there is as much walking customers between soi 14 and soi 4 after 10 pm. actually, it seems kind of dead in this area and i cross the street so i can walk on the other side of sukhumwit.

Edited by sunshine13

Guess its the definition of an awful lot General.

I think euro and uk expats far outweigh US expats/Tourists.

Do we like Mexican....not really.

I only say that because you dont see many mexican restaraunts surviving anywhere outside of the US.

I doubt even Trumps best Apprentices couldnt make a mexican food business sustainable in Bangkok.

Why?

An awful lot of us miss Mexican food desperately and Mike in Chiang Mai can make the real thing and he can't be the only one.

you need more combo meals.

I strongly disagree. This is a classic taqueria menu. No combo meals. You don't get it. I do agree with the comment about asparagus. That is over the top in a veggie burrito, even in California.

I don't live in Bangkok but when I am in town I will be sure to visit, but this place really sounds like the real thing that American expats have been waiting for. Please support this place, alot, or it might go away. Eat!

And Euros, you really ought to try it. Maybe you haven't experienced this kind of Mexican food yet. And the price is right too.

Edited by Jingthing

Guess its the definition of an awful lot General.

I think euro and uk expats far outweigh US expats/Tourists.

Do we like Mexican....not really.

I only say that because you dont see many mexican restaraunts surviving anywhere outside of the US.

I doubt even Trumps best Apprentices couldnt make a mexican food business sustainable in Bangkok.

Why?

An awful lot of us miss Mexican food desperately and Mike in Chiang Mai can make the real thing and he can't be the only one.

I would counter that by saying that there are few decent Mexican restaraunts outside of Mexico and the US. It is because they are not good that they fail, not because people don't like Mexican food.

There sure are a lot of places that put it on the menu!

Agreed, Uly. It wasn't so many years ago that you really couldn't get decent Mexican food even on the US east coast. Because of that, my first experience with "Mexican" food was at Taco Bell. Good thing I was drunk.

No restaurant can be all things to all people.

In an expat environment, a good ethnic food restaurant usually needs a good sized base of the people who know the cuisine. As there aren't so many Mexicans in Thailand, Americans will have to be this base. And many of us Yanquis do indeed know what good Mexican food is supposed to be.

Way premature, but a few suggestions for some new menu items: Baja fish tacos and shredded chicken with black spicy chocolate mole sauce as a meat option.

Edited by Jingthing

It is said that southern California has the best Mexican food in the world. For fast Mexican food my Thai wife and and now grown-up daughters have always preferred Taco Cabana here in Texas. The look of the Mexican style architecture of the place, lush exterior tropical plants. banana, etc. and outside patio make it a fun place to eat at. The margaritas are a definite and unusual plus for a fast food restaurant here and is something my wife and I always enjoy. The grilled fajitas, chicken quesadillas, Taco plate and the Super Tex-Mex combo plate are our favorites. Here is a picture of the place http://www.tacocabana.com/company/history.asp. I have your website bookmarked and hope a map will be added so we can visit next time we are in Thailand. Hope your venture is a success.

As a chef, who grew up in California, worked in Texas, along with two other states and three other countries, I can safely say..... Mexican food served in America along with Cali and Texas is not mexican food. It is American fast food with cheese and a tortilla.

Mexico is a big country, look at the seafood places around baja, go to the colder places where they have stews (mole, etc).

While I grew up on Taco Bell, Del Taco, Las Casuelas (palm springs, anyone), that is about as Mexican as George Bush.

So, comparing 'Sunrise Tacos' to a traditional Mexican restaurant, ain't going to work. I am sure it beats Chipoltle though!

When you say people don't like Mexican food, that is because they have never eaten it.....

Oh ya, how about the perfect copy of Taco Bell in Shanghai, anyone been there?

Hot, splitting hairs here. California style burritos are most definitely American food and not Mexican food, but they are still labelled Mexican food, and they can be damnn good too! And the southwest US, the origin of this American style Mexican used to be Mexico. On the other hand traditional taqueria fare (except for American style burritos) is indeed authentically Mexican (though a different style in Mexico). I have eaten at many traditional Mexican taquerias in the US that are almost identical to places in Mexico, try the large immigrant communities of US big cities. The mass volume demand potential in a country like Thailand, just as in the US, is in this more California style Mexican food. Nothing at all wrong with it. To do super authentic gourmet Mexican food like in the movie Like Water for Chocolate would have to be a fine dining option.

Edited by Jingthing

I visited Sunrise Tacos Friday evening. I had the three crispy Tacos Carnitas (129 baht), which were excellent. As good as any I've had in the U.S. (Lots of Mexican immigrants in my home city, so plenty of Taquireas.) I'd say that this is Mexican-American style, rather than true Mexican. (I say the same about Pizza, in that my favorite is Italian-American style.)

Space is nice, could use a few Royal pictures I think, and maybe napkins/plasticware available in the customer area. Cups and ice for soft-drinks should be offered. Staff seem enthusiastic, and eager to please by pesenting all the options with explanations where required, and some sound very nearly native English speakers. Maybe a bit too pushy soliciting feedback?

The quality of the food is evident on first bite. Everything tastes fresh. Well done. I'll be back fairly often, at least once a week.

Interesting....asparagus in a burrito? Can I get mine without asparagus? I don't like it when pee smells.

Sure. It’s only an option. Some like asparagus, others like onions and bell peppers. We like to give customers choices.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Much appreciated.

Greg

Went to your place this afternoon: here are my thoughts.

Was served by a very pleasant guy who was friendly, polite, spoke excellent English, and had very good knowledge of the food. I don't know if you've been in the shop this evening but he's the only one wearing a white shirt today (didn't catch his name).

I ordered an extra large burrito with ground beef, sour cream and Joe's Hot sauce (whatever it's called, the most spicy one anyway). It was excellent. Actually, I don't think I've ever had Mexican food served in this way before - but anyway, certainly I'm now converted! Everything tasted fresh, wholesome and healthy. Very, very good.

The portion was big enough without being too big, as they are in Coyote for example, and a nice touch that the waiter weighed it for me to show how much I was getting for my Baht - was 550 grams or so. I felt very satisfied after I'd finished it.

A different member of staff took my payment and she was also very nice, with good English too.

Nice shop as well, although if it gets busy I could see all the seats may get filled pretty quickly, but then I guess most of your custom is take-away, right? Anyway, it was a pleasant place to sit and enjoy my meal.

Any criticisms? Nothing major. I wouldn't quite say it was amazingly cheap - a 200 Baht meal, while far from breaking the bank, is still out of the "quick lunch stop" category in which the likes of Subway & Au Bon Pain do well. Also I must admit I was expecting Joes Hot Sauce to be a bit spicier than it was - but I guess that's up to me to ask for more sauce next time! But, still, it would be good if there was one really, really spicy sauce added to your menu, like the "super hot shit" sauce they have in Coyote.

Anyway, if I'm in the area and I'm hungry I'll definitely be back. It's the best low(ish) cost eatery I've found in that area. Well done, and I hope you have continued success!!!

It is said that southern California has the best Mexican food in the world. For fast Mexican food my Thai wife and and now grown-up daughters have always preferred Taco Cabana here in Texas. The look of the Mexican style architecture of the place, lush exterior tropical plants. banana, etc. and outside patio make it a fun place to eat at. The margaritas are a definite and unusual plus for a fast food restaurant here and is something my wife and I always enjoy. The grilled fajitas, chicken quesadillas, Taco plate and the Super Tex-Mex combo plate are our favorites. Here is a picture of the place http://www.tacocabana.com/company/history.asp. I have your website bookmarked and hope a map will be added so we can visit next time we are in Thailand. Hope your venture is a success.
It's a pleasant surprise to hear Taco Cabana mentioned, while I'm in Thailand! My daughter lives down the street from #1, which is just a shack for orders to go. In Houston, I would just go in and get nachos sometimes, or a crisp beef taco. Yes, Tex-Mex food is not interior Mexico style. And the beef enchiladas at the Blanco Cafe, in San Antonio - carramba!

Greg, congratulations on your opening. I'll try to drop by next time I'm nearby.

Went to your place this afternoon: here are my thoughts.

Was served by a very pleasant guy who was friendly, polite, spoke excellent English, and had very good knowledge of the food. I don't know if you've been in the shop this evening but he's the only one wearing a white shirt today (didn't catch his name).

I ordered an extra large burrito with ground beef, sour cream and Joe's Hot sauce (whatever it's called, the most spicy one anyway). It was excellent. Actually, I don't think I've ever had Mexican food served in this way before - but anyway, certainly I'm now converted! Everything tasted fresh, wholesome and healthy. Very, very good.

The portion was big enough without being too big, as they are in Coyote for example, and a nice touch that the waiter weighed it for me to show how much I was getting for my Baht - was 550 grams or so. I felt very satisfied after I'd finished it.

A different member of staff took my payment and she was also very nice, with good English too.

Nice shop as well, although if it gets busy I could see all the seats may get filled pretty quickly, but then I guess most of your custom is take-away, right? Anyway, it was a pleasant place to sit and enjoy my meal.

Any criticisms? Nothing major. I wouldn't quite say it was amazingly cheap - a 200 Baht meal, while far from breaking the bank, is still out of the "quick lunch stop" category in which the likes of Subway & Au Bon Pain do well. Also I must admit I was expecting Joes Hot Sauce to be a bit spicier than it was - but I guess that's up to me to ask for more sauce next time! But, still, it would be good if there was one really, really spicy sauce added to your menu, like the "super hot shit" sauce they have in Coyote.

Anyway, if I'm in the area and I'm hungry I'll definitely be back. It's the best low(ish) cost eatery I've found in that area. Well done, and I hope you have continued success!!!

We started yesterday putting Haberno chiles in John's Hot Sauce, as some want it real hot. Guess we'll need to put some more in. ( The supplier is a farm in Chiang Mai. I was shocked to find that they grow Habernos here!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero

Seating will be a problem. Wife wants me to take the house in back of the Price Leader but the rent will be 200,000 Baht a month. Not sure if the demand is there for Mexican. We pay up to 200K a month rent for our Subway outlets but as we all know this is a different mkt.

Thanks again for stopping by and giving your comments.

Greg

Greg, congratulations on your opening. I'll try to drop by next time I'm nearby.
Thank you. Hope I'm at the store. Been looking forward to meeting you. Please PM me when you will be in town.

Greg

Which subway outlets do you pay 200,000K a month for in rent?

Suk soi 7/1

Nana ( Between Soi 4 and Soi 6)

Almost that amt of rent at Suk Soi 33 ( 180K)

Siam Paragon

Now you know why we have to be open 24 hours at most all of our restaurants. We work for the Landlord. :o

Greg

We started yesterday putting Haberno chiles in John's Hot Sauce, as some want it real hot. Guess we'll need to put some more in. ( The supplier is a farm in Chiang Mai. I was shocked to find that they grow Habernos here!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero

Seating will be a problem. Wife wants me to take the house in back of the Price Leader but the rent will be 200,000 Baht a month. Not sure if the demand is there for Mexican. We pay up to 200K a month rent for our Subway outlets but as we all know this is a different mkt.

Thanks again for stopping by and giving your comments.

Greg

And thanks for your reply also! Another quick question, can't remember if it's been covered already or not, are you thinking of starting a delivery service at any stage?