Congratulations!

Sunbelt Asia

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

website www.sunrisetacos.com should be up by tonight.

I assume this is only temporary? Seems very sparse for now. Is a fully operational, functional site in the pipeline?

Oh Yes! LoL. This is too funny. I told the Web Designer on Friday to get the menu up. He took it to extreme. The site that he’s been working on for us, has music and flash pictures, etc . Ah Thailand!

Another quick question, can't remember if it's been covered already or not, are you thinking of starting a delivery service at any stage?

Yes delivery should be up and going in a week. The # will be 02-229-4851

Greg

Stopped by last night and had 3 tacos, one each chicken, carnitas, and carne asada.

The meat was pretty good, except for the carnitas, which bore no resemblance to any carnitas I've ever eaten. I am from San Diego, CA, however, and realize that this might be a tough act to follow.

However, the real surprise was that 'soft' tacos were served on flour tortillas!! Ludicrous! Flour tortillas get soggy quickly, and are brittle, causing the taco to fall apart. I have spent a good bit of time in Mexico, both at the border, and in the interior, and unless otherwise requested specifically, soft tacos are ALWAYS served in smallish CORN tortillas, usually two per taco.

On the positive, the salsas were quite good, and the toppings were varied and fresh.

The manager there said she would gladly make tacos in corn tortillas, however, so more "inspection" trips are in order.

Really, a great effort, and good value. Look forward to trying some other menu items.

S

The meat was pretty good, except for the carnitas, which bore no resemblance to any carnitas I've ever eaten. I am from San Diego, CA, however, and realize that this might be a tough act to follow.
Are the carnitas you had in San Diego the sweet type? This as I predicted before will happen. It just depends on where you were raised on what you expect a meat or taco to be.
However, the real surprise was that 'soft' tacos were served on flour tortillas!! Ludicrous! Flour tortillas get soggy quickly, and are brittle, causing the taco to fall apart. I have spent a good bit of time in Mexico, both at the border, and in the interior, and unless otherwise requested specifically, soft tacos are ALWAYS served in smallish CORN tortillas, usually two per taco.

Here again it just depends where you are from. Some parts of northern Mexico and the USA serve flour instead of corn tortillas. Others use corn. We have no problem giving corn or flour tacos. We sincerely want to make you happy with whatever, you like your taco to be. By the way we make the corn tacos ourselves from 100% ground corn.

The manager there said she would gladly make tacos in corn tortillas
Very true. 99% of the customers want the soft flour tacos so that’s what they'll be reaching for to make your soft taco. If that happens, please just ask for the corn, till they get to remember you.
Really, a great effort, and good value. Look forward to trying some other menu items.

Good to hear. Thank you very much for the comments and stopping by.

Greg

Greg,

Well done with the new place, it sounds excellent and i will make it down there one day this week.

You could do worse than opening a branch around Khao San - many people ask for Mexican and there is nothing around here.

Best Wishes.

Chris

Sunbelt,

A lot of kudos to you, your wife and your staff, that keeps starting businesses and is not afraid to try new concepts.

In my book, you and OMC (and a few others) stands out on the "farang F & B scene". You have done your home work, stick to the plan, and believe in your self and your concept. Add a lot of hard work, and some money and you can create successful business in Bangkok and Thailand.

Seen to many businesses that thinks "as long as I am open the doors, the business will boom". The infamous location on Sukhumvit Soi 23 (Highlanders pub etc etc) comes to mind, among many others.

Are the carnitas you had in San Diego the sweet type? This as I predicted before will happen. It just depends on where you were raised on what you expect a meat or taco to be.
Here again it just depends where you are from. Some parts of northern Mexico and the USA serve flour instead of corn tortillas. Others use corn. We have no problem giving corn or flour tacos. We sincerely want to make you happy with whatever, you like your taco to be. By the way we make the corn tacos ourselves from 100% ground corn.
The manager there said she would gladly make tacos in corn tortillas
Very true. 99% of the customers want the soft flour tacos so that's what they'll be reaching for to make your soft taco. If that happens, please just ask for the corn, till they get to remember you.
Good to hear. Thank you very much for the comments and stopping by.

Greg

Greg,

Well done with the new place, it sounds excellent and i will make it down there one day this week.

You could do worse than opening a branch around Khao San - many people ask for Mexican and there is nothing around here.

Best Wishes.

Chris

Oh My Cod ! - British Cafe

Thanks Chris.

I know you have done well with your restaurant in Khao San Rd. Your food is well spoken of.

We did put down a rent deposit 18 months ago on a 7-11 location, right on Khao San Rd for a new Subway location. (The 7-11's lease is up July 2007.) However after the New Years Bombing, sales are not the same at our other Subway location near Khao San Rd.. As a result our decision is to transferred the deposit of the 7-11 lease to a Coffee Franchise. I could have taken this location over for Sunrise Tacos but the rent of 180K per month makes me cautious. If I can find a place near yours for around 60K per month, it could be a good risk reward.

Sunbelt,

A lot of kudos to you, your wife and your staff, that keeps starting businesses and is not afraid to try new concepts.

In my book, you and OMC (and a few others) stands out on the "farang F & B scene". You have done your home work, stick to the plan, and believe in your self and your concept. Add a lot of hard work, and some money and you can create successful business in Bangkok and Thailand.

Thank you. My wife is a Godsend. Yesterday, she was working in a hot kitchen all day and night (till after midnight!) training staff with a mobile phone ringing every 5 minutes with questions being asked by staff at other business ventures. A true sight to behold. Really, I would be much less successful if she wasn’t such a great business and life partner. I've been truly blessed in life.

Customers at the end of the day is what make our businesses. We'll continue to do our best to make them happy. Thanks for all your guys comments.

Greg

is your wife thai or farang?
Thai but has traveled around the World so knows and loves Mexican as well.
why not deliever to the soi sala daeng bts area? you can get there by turning left off of rama IX... or do you want me to call you from lumpini park and wait for you in the parking lot.

Good point. Soi Sala Daeng BTS is ok to deliver. Wouldn't want anyone having ideas why you are hanging out at Lumpini Park late at night. "Officer,I'm just waiting for my Taco "

Greg

Walked by this place at least a dozen times and did not realize it was a restaurant – the big "Margaritas by the yard" sign made me think it was just another BKK bar.

Stopped in after work the other day and grabbed a few tacos to take home. I am no Mexican food coinsure by any stretch of the imagination but I liked what I had and I will be providing this place with plenty of future business.

I am a simpleton when it comes to Mexican food mostly Tacos and burritos, and I prefer ground beef to anything else for the filling. This place fits the bill on all counts. The tacos/burritos are less expensive than other options in BKK, taste better IMHO, and they actually have ground beef and not shredded (this is an option as well) beef.

Are some of the staff from the Philippines?

How about that delivery service? Was told by the staff in the restaurant that it has not started yet?

Great, wish you luck.

I am aware of the difficults of farangs setting up business in here, so wish you have many customer support from this forum.

Personally I do not like mexican food, but I will get there for some tacos anyway....

Greg, I assume you don't deliver to Lumlukka so will pay a visit next time I am in the area.

Now I am going to make a suggestion. I like Laab Moo. One day I finished my sticky rice, and still had some Laab left. A lightbulb went off in my head, and I asked my wife to heat up some taco shells. I stuffed the laab in those, and ###### if they weren't delicious. Don't take my word for it, try it. You might find that you can attract more Thai customers with a few Thai-Mex items like that.

Walked by this place at least a dozen times and did not realize it was a restaurant – the big "Margaritas by the yard" sign made me think it was just another BKK bar.
Sorry. This was my mistake and I will have to change some of the signs. It needs to be more clear.
Stopped in after work the other day and grabbed a few tacos to take home. I am no Mexican food coinsure by any stretch of the imagination but I liked what I had and I will be providing this place with plenty of future business.

Thank you. Looking forward to meeting you.

Great, wish you luck.

I am aware of the difficults of farangs setting up business in here, so wish you have many customer support from this forum.

Personally I do not like mexican food, but I will get there for some tacos anyway....

Thank you. Hope to see you. Please say "Hi"
Greg, I assume you don't deliver to Lumlukka so will pay a visit next time I am in the area.

Thank you for thinking of us.

Now I am going to make a suggestion. I like Laab Moo. One day I finished my sticky rice, and still had some Laab left. A lightbulb went off in my head, and I asked my wife to heat up some taco shells. I stuffed the laab in those, and ###### if they weren't delicious. Don't take my word for it, try it. You might find that you can attract more Thai customers with a few Thai-Mex items like that.

I will try it. By the way,Thai chicken is very popular at one Taco Shop in the States. Some use lemongrass and coconut milk in the marinade for carnitas as well.

Greg

I will try it. By the way,Thai chicken is very popular at one Taco Shop in the States. Some use lemongrass and coconut milk in the marinade for carnitas as well.

Greg

That was actually my thought when I read your first post. Most of the successful 'western' food chains I've seen here to date seem to incorporate a good deal of Thai aspected food items (although the supersaturated advertising doesn't hurt either) to help their popularity. Possibly a slightly discounted set with a 'larb taco' or a 'tom yum taco' (I have no idea what that might be, just an idea) with some regular mexican tacos would help otherwise reluctant Thais to try out your wares. I suppose there's the downside that they may want to order the 'fusion tacos' from there on out, but it still amounts to customers! Hope to be down there soon, btw.

Edited by fivevenoms

I recently tried out your place and have some comments. You need to do something better with your menu presentation and layout. I suppose in just opening you've got to tweak things some and so probably your menu isn't fixed yet. But when it is you'll obviously want to do a nice menu with a better layout and one that's a little easier to understand quickly.

I ordered a burrito and a side of guacamole and chips. The guy ended up putting guacamole in my burrito and charging extra for it even though that wasn't what I ordered. Problems with orders can happen anywhere and especially in Thailand where the language barrier is sometimes a problem. Probably just a one-off deal but thought you should know about it.

The burrito I'd just classify as average. There seemed to be way to much rice in it. Of course if I'm a repeat customer I can get them to adjust it more to my tastes.

The guacamole also was just average. I'd have to say that Senor Pico's has your guacamole beat by quite a bit. The chips were way too thick/hard for my liking. I much prefer thinner chips. Of course you have to take everyone's comments and average them out as everyone has different taste buds.

Your method of charging for sides that cost extra seems to need some rework. For instance I'd label the actual containers with what they are and what they cost so that people don't get surprised when they order a burrito and end up paying much more because they didn't realize guacamole and sour cream are each extra. Either that or make sure your workers inform the customer that the filling is extra, though even with this the language barrier will mean some customers don't understand. Being charged more than you are expecting for something creates a lot of ill-will and greatly reduces the chance of a repeat customer even if they do like the food. Having the customer well-informed about the price is the best way to prevent them from getting sticker shock at the cash register. Also how about making an option for a half-serving of guacamole together with a half-serving of sour cream? Being able to mix and match fractional portions of the extras without having to pay a lot extra just because the only option is a full portion is a bit of a turnoff. Or how about having a menu item for getting your burrito (or taco) with "the works"?

You had no customers when I went in there not long after lunchtime, which I guess means you're off to a slow start in meeting your target. I think your best bet at success will be trying to get repeat customers, and to get those you have to find out what people like and don't like about your food/restaurant. You're looking for feedback from people here in this forum, but probably the people here represent only a small fraction of your customer base. You need some way of getting real-time feedback from the customers in the restaurant as they complete their meal. Maybe ask them if they'd like to complete a survey in exchange for a coupon for some free or discounted food, or something like that. If your business is a tried-and-true commodity, such as Subway, the customer feedback while still important isn't so critical, but for a new pioneering business it is critical.

I was in the other day and can give you specific comments.

Seeing how I am from the industry and only spent about 10 minutes in the restaurant, I can give you my honest opinion, if you want it, but I won't sugar coat it and will give you easy solutions.....

Just PM me your email, and ask specific things, it would be no problem.....

You need to do something better with your menu presentation and layout. I suppose in just opening you've got to tweak things some and so probably your menu isn't fixed yet. But when it is you'll obviously want to do a nice menu with a better layout and one that's a little easier to understand quickly.
The graphic designer just finished the menu boards and the pictures will be up Sat morning. You are right, I was waiting as I was tweaking the menu.
I ordered a burrito and a side of guacamole and chips. The guy ended up putting guacamole in my burrito and charging extra for it even though that wasn't what I ordered. Problems with orders can happen anywhere and especially in Thailand where the language barrier is sometimes a problem. Probably just a one-off deal but thought you should know about it.

Very sorry to hear that. I will send you a p.m. to make it right for you. Thanks for telling me.

The burrito I'd just classify as average. There seemed to be way to much rice in it. Of course if I'm a repeat customer I can get them to adjust it more to my tastes.
Hmm. It should be the same amt as rice as beans as your gourmet filling. I’m going to send you a p.m. and see if I can figure out who was making your burrito. Seems he needs more training.
The guacamole also was just average. I'd have to say that Senor Pico's has your guacamole beat by quite a bit. The chips were way too thick/hard for my liking. I much prefer thinner chips. Of course you have to take everyone's comments and average them out as everyone has different taste buds.

The guacamole is made with Hass Imported avocadoes and that’s the key to good guacamole is the avocado. We don't use sour cream or soybean as filler. Not sure why it’s just average. Maybe it was just a one off. But a comment like yours is what drives me to be sure it’s the best.

The corn tortilla chips will always be extra crispy and thicker than store bought ones as the machines can make the tortilla thinner than a person hand rolling the tortilla for chips. Pros and cons with a machine in a tortilla factory and shipping versus a human making tortilla fresh. I’m toying with the idea of having a machine inside the store for the corn tortillas using our fresh masa.

Your method of charging for sides that cost extra seems to need some rework. For instance I'd label the actual containers with what they are and what they cost so that people don't get surprised when they order a burrito and end up paying much more because they didn't realize guacamole and sour cream are each extra. Either that or make sure your workers inform the customer that the filling is extra, though even with this the language barrier will mean some customers don't understand. Being charged more than you are expecting for something creates a lot of ill-will and greatly reduces the chance of a repeat customer even if they do like the food. Having the customer well-informed about the price is the best way to prevent them from getting sticker shock at the cash register. Also how about making an option for a half-serving of guacamole together with a half-serving of sour cream? Being able to mix and match fractional portions of the extras without having to pay a lot extra just because the only option is a full portion is a bit of a turnoff. Or how about having a menu item for getting your burrito (or taco) with "the works"?
The extra charge is on the menu at the front counter. It appears you did not see this but think this will help having the menu board up so it’s even more clear. By the way we do give a free choice between sour cream and cheese with no charge. If the customer wants both, then this is when we have an extra charge. The staff is trained to say.” That will be an extra 29 Baht for a burrito ( 10 baht for a taco), is this Ok?” Sorry to say you were not asked or asked clear. That is unfortunate and will look into this. I will also put up a sign in front of the two choices to make it even clearer. Thanks for helping with this idea.
You had no customers when I went in there not long after lunchtime, which I guess means you're off to a slow start in meeting your target.

Zero advertising until last night. So far, 60% of the customers are expats from Sukhumvit Soi 12 and Soi 10. They saw the sign and came in. The other 40% are word of mouth from friends or Thai visa. Not break even yet but feel we'll be hitting our number consistently in 5 days.

By the way, most of our customers eat after 4 p.m. ( 80%) as most are expats that live in the area after work. We don't get a big lunch trade at all. Will be marketing to the office trade next week.

One other thing, we get very few tourist clients as we are not a brand name yet.

I think your best bet at success will be trying to get repeat customers, and to get those you have to find out what people like and don't like about your food/restaurant. You're looking for feedback from people here in this forum, but probably the people here represent only a small fraction of your customer base. You need some way of getting real-time feedback from the customers in the restaurant as they complete their meal. Maybe ask them if they'd like to complete a survey in exchange for a coupon for some free or discounted food, or something like that. If your business is a tried-and-true commodity, such as Subway, the customer feedback while still important isn't so critical, but for a new pioneering business it is critical.
I like the idea of comment cards and they are at the printer. I ask every customer their feedback when I'm in the store. I have spoken to 87 customers in the past week personally. Only two said the food was “ok.” The other 85 said excellent to comments the best taco in Bangkok, to one woman having a Harry meets Sally orgasm. The best proof is what is left on their plate. I'm very encouraged by the repeat customers and the feedback we have gotten.

Thank you for taking the time to write and sharing how we can improve. I appreciate it very much.

Regards

Greg

I was in the other day and can give you specific comments.

Seeing how I am from the industry and only spent about 10 minutes in the restaurant, I can give you my honest opinion, if you want it, but I won't sugar coat it and will give you easy solutions.....

Thanks. Hope its not too easy like leave the gas on, when you closed at night. :o

Greg

please get a buy 10 get 1 free program.

Was thinking the same thing actually. Good idea.

PS - good to meet you and your wife in the shop the other day Greg. The burrito I had was excellent, again, thank you.

To get the thais eating tacos try adding som tam or doing side orders ,, sure to be a winner unsure.gif

Fuse it with Somtam or Barbecue Chicken lol or perhaps Green curry flavour sauce

To get the thais eating tacos try adding som tam or doing side orders ,, sure to be a winner unsure.gif

Fuse it with Somtam or Barbecue Chicken lol or perhaps Green curry flavour sauce

Tytus, I'll tell the staff to give you a green curry burrito tonight instead of the seasoned ground beef burrito you've been getting. :o
please get a buy 10 get 1 free program.

Ok. will do By the way, you get two burritos at Sunrise for the price of one burrito, at most of all Mexican restaurants in Thailand. ( At one Mexican restaurant, it would be three burritos at Sunrise Tacos compared to one burrito there) Still I like the idea of saying " Thanks"

PS - good to meet you and your wife in the shop the other day Greg. The burrito I had was excellent, again, thank you.

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to hear it was excellent.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I don’t normally go for Mexican food. But that’s just me.

However I found myself on the Suk with some time to kill between jobs the other night, but I just did not fancy any more “local food, or KFC, Pizza etc, etc…”

As we were right outside Sunrise my associate persuaded me to go in and check it out.

Reluctantly I did so, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised… :o

I only had Tacos with some black beans but they were very nice, very tasty.

I will make a point of visiting there again to try the other food stuffs on offer.

It certainly made a welcome change to what is normally on offer for the same price out there in that area…

Maybe they have made me a convert!

TPE II

I don’t normally go for Mexican food. But that’s just me.

However I found myself on the Suk with some time to kill between jobs the other night, but I just did not fancy any more “local food, or KFC, Pizza etc, etc…”

As we were right outside Sunrise my associate persuaded me to go in and check it out.

Reluctantly I did so, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised… :o

I only had Tacos with some black beans but they were very nice, very tasty.

I will make a point of visiting there again to try the other food stuffs on offer.

It certainly made a welcome change to what is normally on offer for the same price out there in that area…

Maybe they have made me a convert!

TPE II

Thank you for stopping by.

I've been hearing the same comments from a few people. They are just tired of the same food and want something new. I have not seen one of these people not put thumbs up. It certainly tastes different than most other food.

Very few Thais yet in our place. We however, are getting Indians who want to know why all these foreigners are flocking to our restaurant. They always seem to take the vegetarian or chicken tacos. This has been a big hit.

Regards

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg FYI --

Food -- Three things, thousands of ways

A focused menu. We make it right in front of you. You choose exactly what you want. That may mean a little more salsa, a little less sour cream, whatever you'd like. Build your version of the perfect burrito (or taco or salad). Tacos Three soft flour or crispy corn tortillas, choice of meat, chiouce of salsa, cheese or sour cream, and romaine lettuce

...We use high-quality raw ingredients, classic cooking methods...

We try to do a few things really well. We elevate basic raw ingredients into food that's richer and more sophisticated through our recipes and cooking techniques...

Our focus has always been on using the kinds of higher-quality ingredients and cooking techniques used in high-end restaurants to make great food accessible at reasonable prices. But our vision has evolved. While using a variety of fresh ingredients remains the foundation of our menu, we believe that "fresh is not enough, anymore...."

A few things, thousands of ways. We only serve a few things: burritos, burrito salad (a burrito without the tortilla), tacos and salads. We plan to keep a simple menu, but we'll always consider sensible additions...

MENU:

BURRITO

Flour tortilla. cilantro-lime rice, choice of pinto or vegetarian black beans, Meat, salsa, cheese or sour cream. and romaine lettuce. The vegetarian burrito includes guacamole.

FAJITA BURRITO

Just like a burrito but with sautéed peppers and onions instead of beans.The vegetarian ... has both sautéed veggies and vegetarian black beans instead of meat. arid includes guacamole.

BURRITO salad

Burrito or fajita in a bowl, no tortilla.

TACOS

Three soft flour or four crispy corn tortillas, choice of meat, salsa, cheese or sour cream, and romaine lettuce.

SALAD

Romaine lettuce with choice of beans, meat, salsa 8 cheese, with freshly made chipotle-honey vinaigrette,

WITH

CHICKEN

Marinated for hour in our chipotle adobo. then grilled.

STEAK

Marinated for hours, in Our chipotle adobo, then grilled.

CARNITAS

Naturally raised pork, seasoned With thyme, bay leaves. juniper berries and freshly cracked black poppet - seated, thenbraised for hours.

BARBACOA

Shredded beef braised with our own chipotle adobo, cumin, doves, garlic and oregano.

VEGETARIAN

Includes our fresh-made guacamole and vegetarian black beans. Add sauteed peppers and onions for a vegetarian fajita.

SALSAS

Fresh Tomato mild

Roasted Chili-Corn medium

Tomatillo-Green Chili medium

Tomatillo- Red Chili hot

EXTRAS

Chips & Guacamole Chips & Salsa

Guacamole

Chips

DRINKS

Margarita

Specialty Beer Domestic Beer Bottled Drinks, Soda

See the fajita burrito on the Sunrise Taco website: "...Same as burrito except you get sautéed peppers and grilled onions instead of beans" -- even sautéed is spelled the same.

I think you should contact a good IP lawyer ...

See the fajita burrito on the Sunrise Taco website: "...Same as burrito except you get sautéed peppers and grilled onions instead of beans" -- even sautéed is spelled the same.

Thanks. We've had quite a number of people writing and rewriting this. Will ask the lead business writer who wrote this. When I was giving the info to my team, I explained that my concept is very similar to a number of chains in the USA. They may have possibly used this when trying to understand what the heck is a fajita? If he did, I then would be responsible and change it.

By the way, as for IP. We've had the same problem here 1,000% times worse. One of our websites was copied word for word by four different times by different parties. Yes four different companies did it. Not one sentence, over 1,000 paragraphs. The funny thing is every time they left in our phone # in a number of the articles. Most of the time it was the web designer taking the easy way out.

A fajita burrito is, no beans in the burrito but you get sautéed peppers and grilled onions. As for the spelling, that’s how you spell “sautéed”.

I’m sure somehow we can still rephrase the wording of this sentence. Thanks again for spotting a possible problem.

Regards

Greg

Tytus, I'll tell the staff to give you a green curry burrito tonight instead of the seasoned ground beef burrito you've been getting. biggrin.gif

Thanks Boss !!! i wonder how will it tasted with a Green Curry Burrito :o