Outlet Mall, can someone explain it ?

Peterw42

There are Outlet Malls in Pattaya, Phuket, BKK etc. These Malls are incredibly expensive and they are not outlets for the factory down the road. If I compare the prices to say Australia, its the same price or more than Australia. There always appears to be people in there buying things, even Thai people,  2,000 baht for a Tshirt, 5,000 baht for a pair of slip on shoes. The russians go crazy, buying the stuff and extra suitcases to put it in, I was under the impression that they have Nike shoes etc nowadays.

Why is it so expensive, Who is buying, why?

Another aspect of Thailand that vexes me greatly.

"Outlet" is simply a coin phrase that once use to signify cheap bargains

of left over orders, much the same as  airport's 'Duty free' are now

days that are nothing but a joke and price gauging excursuses

on a captive customers with no other choices...

Like a fool I used to buy my clothes from Outlet Mall in Jomtien.

I was just on Holiday and didn't know my arse from my elbow, very expensive.

What I can say is most of the stuff I bought 10-15 years ago , still looks brand new today,

despite what must have been 100's of washes.

I now buy crap clothes from the Markets 100-150 bt. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

"Outlet" is simply a coin phrase that once use to signify cheap bargains

of left over orders, much the same as  airport's 'Duty free' are now

days that are nothing but a joke and price gauging excursuses

on a captive customers with no other choices...

Thailands duty free shops 40% more than the grocery store.

30 minutes ago, lou62 said:

What I can say is most of the stuff I bought 10-15 years ago , still looks brand new today,

I think you've hit the nail on the head.....the stuff in their is supposed to be the real thing.....no copies.

45 minutes ago, lou62 said:

I have 100 baht copy T shirts that have also stood up to hundreds of washes, and still look (almost) as good as new. I  have bought expensive genuine name brand like YSL in department stores in Australia that have only been suitable for car washing after a couple of washes. Note to self, only buy cheap.

Originally, outlet stores were conceived to be a mechanism for well-known brands to liquidate overstock, seconds and prior-season merchandise. This worked well, as the manufacturers/importers were able to unload their unwanted goods, and customers could purchase goods at bargain prices.

At some point, this model changed. The outlet operators realized that customers associated "outlet store" with "quality at bargain prices", and thus began to sell same-brand, lower-quality items at inflated prices in their outlets. Currently, most "factory outlet" stores sell lower-quality products made exclusively for their outlets, under the original well-known brands. Generally, these products are not available through the brand's normal retail channels. 

While many outlets continue to offer overstocks, "seconds" and outdated merchandise, the majority of products are actually "lower-tier" products sold exclusively in the outlets to customers who think they're getting name-brand quality at bargain prices. 

Funnily enough my tgf were in the middle of nowhere in Thailand, some Tescoe and outside was a woman selling clothes off a rack. 100B each. One of the dresses was the exact one she was wearing - labels and all from H&M. Can’t say I’ll be taking her to h&m again. Even she couldn’t believe it.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:36 PM, sammieuk1 said:

They are an outlet for 90% off signs that are still 50% more expensive thats why the one in CM is void of customers and the shops can't afford to put the lights on.

Are you talking about the one in Hang Dong, the farang market (Kad Farang?)?  I checked it out once a couple of years ago and yes, pretty darn expensive.  The quality looked to be good, but for the prices marked, not real good value.