Marriage Extension Requirements list

digital

57 minutes ago, andreww said:

Thanks that's a (long) helpful list.

Do you still need rental contract if you have the residence notification certificate in the passport. Mine goes back to 2016 (so will probably need redoing anyway), we don't have a rent contract but we gave landlady id card & tabien baan with the residence notification last time and that was ok.

If using embassy letter for overseas income, you also need to show... (overseas) bank statement OR bank book OR ATM card. Just one of the documents not all 3?

Edited by digital

On 27/01/2018 at 10:56 PM, digital said:

Thanks that's a (long) helpful list.

Do you still need rental contract if you have the residence notification certificate in the passport. Mine goes back to 2016 (so will probably need redoing anyway), we don't have a rent contract but we gave landlady id card & tabien baan with the residence notification last time and that was ok.

If using embassy letter for overseas income, you also need to show... (overseas) bank statement OR bank book OR ATM card. Just one of the documents not all 3?

from my experience, if you're missing anything from the list, the officer will try to use it as a leverage to squeeze extra under-the-table 1000thb from you (so you don't have to "come back again"). So my strategy become to bring there everything possible, but to produce only necessary minimum, and then provide them extra documents whenever officers request (and they surely do). After 2-3 failed attempts of such bribe extortion, they just accept whatever's on the desk and comedy is over. 

To answer your question, just prep a simple rental contract and sign it by all parties, takes 10 minutes and you can re-use it later. 

For overseas income I show overseas bank statement, but they also ask for a local ATM card OR a bank book (w/o any income on them), so just go and make one, it takes half an hour in SCB bank, no work permit required. 

Edited by andreww

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So that list is worst case scenario, having more documents than are officially needed to avoid any extra fees. This is probably why I have avoided this for a long using Multi entry visas instead, which I may will continue to do. It should be a fixed non negotiable list of requirements that is the same everywhere, know where you stand then.

Ok 1000baht is not so bad, (although should not be encouraged) if it got the application through quickly and hassle free with just basic papers.

I just have done my first extension based on marriage on Chaeng Wattana, and the officer was very nice. I only had exactly what was needed. Even with the bank account I had a deposit, which was not updated in the last 2 months, as deposit accounts can't be updated that easy. But with the bank letter together was accepted without any problems.

I arrived shortly after 8 with a big queue.. but was finished just before lunchtime... now waiting the 4 weeks till can pickup my extension.

I guess it also maybe some sort of luck. .but maybe also how you behave while you were on the desk. I was a little bit scared before, because of so many horror stories to read before I have done it myself.

But as mostly it's then easier than it sounds. Also the documentation I was reading about sounded first like:

I really want to go this way? copy so many documents?

But after I have done all the required documents I have to say it's not that horrible. Of course I still ask myself of some documents why they even want them?

Pictures of me in front of the Condo to see the number? What is the benefit? I already have to go with my wife.. so if this is a non regular marriage.. and she is willing to go to Immigration, then she is of course willing as well to do 4 pictures. I not see any advantages in this pictures.

Also this scary stories, where people have to go out again to show an updated bank book? why is an update of 2-3 days ago not enough?

But this is another story....

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

I just have done my first extension based on marriage on Chaeng Wattana, and the officer was very nice. I only had exactly what was needed. Even with the bank account I had a deposit, which was not updated in the last 2 months, as deposit accounts can't be updated that easy. But with the bank letter together was accepted without any problems.

I arrived shortly after 8 with a big queue.. but was finished just before lunchtime... now waiting the 4 weeks till can pickup my extension.

I guess it also maybe some sort of luck. .but maybe also how you behave while you were on the desk. I was a little bit scared before, because of so many horror stories to read before I have done it myself.

But as mostly it's then easier than it sounds. Also the documentation I was reading about sounded first like:

I really want to go this way? copy so many documents?

But after I have done all the required documents I have to say it's not that horrible. Of course I still ask myself of some documents why they even want them?

Pictures of me in front of the Condo to see the number? What is the benefit? I already have to go with my wife.. so if this is a non regular marriage.. and she is willing to go to Immigration, then she is of course willing as well to do 4 pictures. I not see any advantages in this pictures.

Also this scary stories, where people have to go out again to show an updated bank book? why is an update of 2-3 days ago not enough?

But this is another story....

Thanks, maybe Chaeng Wattana is a better experience than Phuket ? Always presentable and with a good attitude when visiting and although Ive not had any problems its not really a good experience (it was more a problem between 2 officers last time).

Although I will not be applying for the extension for a while I want to at least know what I am going to do in the next few weeks, so I can make my bookings if I decide to travel for an new ME visa. 

Is there somewhere where I can see a list of what the real official documents & legal requirements are? the minimum without all the extras Phuket may ask for. That would at least be a starting point so I could maybe go to immigration to try to get them to check the documents before making the application. Thanks.

Phuket is notorious for bribe-baiting for sure, and I remember my first visa extension  5 years ago -- had to run copy & print something else, then run home to get a witness, then come back next day etc etc. 

After that torture I created my own extensive list of requirements and just follow it each year -- it's not hard really, as most documents can be re-used. Now I spend maybe 1 hour at home preparing papers and another hour in the immi office presenting them. Each time they try to ask for something else that's not on the official list, but as I said above -- all their silly requirements are on my list already and pre-satisfied ;) So whatever they ask is produced on the spot and my application is accepted on the first attempt.

"Official list" of requirements is usually provided by farang volunteers assistants (in your local immi office), but at least in Phuket their list is very incomplete, and often you can hear phrase "sometimes they ask for something else". Crazily inefficient approach, but hey, just learn to play their game and win in it. 

p.s. I always say -- try applying for marriage-based visa in Australia or other "civilized" country, and you'll see that even Phuket is super simple and efficient comparing to that. 

On 2/1/2018 at 6:38 AM, andreww said:

Phuket is notorious for bribe-baiting for sure, and I remember my first visa extension  5 years ago -- had to run copy & print something else, then run home to get a witness, then come back next day etc etc. 

After that torture I created my own extensive list of requirements and just follow it each year -- it's not hard really, as most documents can be re-used. Now I spend maybe 1 hour at home preparing papers and another hour in the immi office presenting them. Each time they try to ask for something else that's not on the official list, but as I said above -- all their silly requirements are on my list already and pre-satisfied ;) So whatever they ask is produced on the spot and my application is accepted on the first attempt.

"Official list" of requirements is usually provided by farang volunteers assistants (in your local immi office), but at least in Phuket their list is very incomplete, and often you can hear phrase "sometimes they ask for something else". Crazily inefficient approach, but hey, just learn to play their game and win in it. 

p.s. I always say -- try applying for marriage-based visa in Australia or other "civilized" country, and you'll see that even Phuket is super simple and efficient comparing to that. 

If you have all the required papers there is no problem and it will not a bribe baiting situation.

The list from the volunteers is complete and is updated as soon there is a change.

But you will need to ask for a updated list before you prepare your paperwork as the requirements change often.

And the comment from them that the IO can ask for extra paperwork is correct as the IO are in their right to ask for extra paperwork if they think it is necessary.

I do my own extensions for over 28 years and never had a request for extra money, but i have all papers they wanted or i could get them in case they needed some other papers.