Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

On 2/7/2018 at 8:54 AM, norrska said:

how does the bumiputra concept fit into your definitions....

Bumiputera litteraly means "son of soil"

Term reserved for natives such as Malays from Peninsula, Kadazan, Dusun, Murut and other ethnic groups in Sabah and Sarawak, some of them Christian.

8 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't know which bars you've been going into, but the  ones in my suburb, and in the adjacent suburbs, and in Bukit Bintang, you go in, sometimes a waiter or waitress will show you to a seat, sometimes you seat yourself, attract the attention of one one of the serving staff, and order a drink.  If you want a bottle kept for you behind the bar I understand its more complex, but if you are ordering shorts or beer or wine by the glass then you order, drink, pay on presentation of the bill.  Some places present the bill round by round, some at the end of the evening,  At the Home and Away chain, you sign for your drinks round by round, then pay at the end of the evening. 

The bars on Jalan P Ramlee generally have a cover charge which entitles you to a 'free' drink on presentation of the coupon at the bar.  I think that's to make sure the bar gets some money from the hookers, and the blokes that are just there to pick up a hooker and go, and the people that want t just sit all night listening to the band.

I don't think its any more complicated than drinking in Fife on a Sunday (although that might have changed in the last 30 years).

SC

Seems like we picked the wrong bars then.  The process you describe on Jalan P Ramlee sounds like what me and my mate experienced. Good to know!

8 hours ago, norrska said:

This is nonsense.  Have you ever been to a bar in Bangsar?  You seem like a "I spent a week there one afternoon" type of guy.

Did you not read my last sentence?

"Admittedly 1 week isn't long enough to get to know a whole country, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts with the OP."

14 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Seems like we picked the wrong bars then.  The process you describe on Jalan P Ramlee sounds like what me and my mate experienced. Good to know!

Or maybe it was one of the fancy Chinese karaoke brandy-swilling places.

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Nah, I think I would have remembered that.  Are they worth a try?

Don’t know - so based on my apparent prejudice, no.  I think the only karaoke bars I have been back to, barring works nights out, have been in Thailand, and one in Taiwan. And years ago, a pretty rough karaoke bar in Bangsar, which was a walk-up, no cover charge, pay as you go place

On 2/7/2018 at 9:49 PM, CG1 Blue said:

5 years ago I spent a week in KL and Penang.

In KL the process of going to a bar and getting a drink was way too complicated (I seem to recall you purchase a ticket on entry, then use it towards buying a bottle for your table). In that respect I prefer the more relaxed boozing in Thailand.

In Penang it was a little saddening seeing the majority of women walking around covered head to toe, and in the local bars (Batu Ferringhi) it was almost exclusively men.

I see people have remarked that you can find bacon and beer easily enough if you do some research, but personally I prefer being in a country where those things are not an issue in the first place.

Admittedly 1 week isn't long enough to get to know a whole country, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts with the OP.

Actually I read the entirety of your post, which contained many inaccurate generalizations.  You compare one place in KL to all of Thailand?  Then you say Penang has women covered head to toe? Looking at the demographics from wiki, more than 50% of the population are of Chinese, Indian, or other descent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penang#Demographics

Ethnic composition of Penang (2017)[3]
Ethnicities / Nationality     Percentage  
Bumiputera
41.73%
Chinese
39.75%
Indians
9.51%
Others
0.29%
Non-Malaysians
8.72%

3 hours ago, norrska said:

Actually I read the entirety of your post, which contained many inaccurate generalizations.  You compare one place in KL to all of Thailand?  Then you say Penang has women covered head to toe? Looking at the demographics from wiki, more than 50% of the population are of Chinese, Indian, or other descent.

Bumiputera
41.73%
Chinese
39.75%
Indians
9.51%
Others
0.29%
Non-Malaysians
8.72%

He went to 2 places. 555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

He went to 2 places. 555

Best consult your abacus, as he stated that in KL he went to a bar.....most people would agree that means one.  Obviously he also went to Penang which was also referenced in my post.  Better luck next time with the trolling.

1 minute ago, norrska said:

Best consult your abacus, as he stated that in KL he went to a bar.....most people would agree that means one.  Obviously he also went to Penang which was also referenced in my post.  Better luck next time with the trolling.

Yes 1+1=1. My mistake.

On 03/02/2018 at 11:26 AM, tgeezer said:

Islam cannot be ignored nowadays because Islam is the road to mohammedinism by which means they mean to kill all of us who resist them.  

I've no idea what you're trying to say here but if you mean Mohammedanism, that is nothing more nor less than an obsolete term for the Muslim religion.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, norrska said:

Bumiputera
41.73%
Chinese
39.75%
Indians
9.51%
Others
0.29%
Non-Malaysians
8.72%

I didn't say 1 place in KL.  I said "the process of going to a bar".

And as far as Batu Feringhi is concerned, I prefer to believe what I saw rather than your Google searches. Plus you have used a table of ethnic composition, not religion.

Besides, I qualified it all by saying "Admittedly 1 week isn't long enough to get to know a whole country, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts with the OP."