Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

On 30/01/2018 at 3:45 PM, Paul Catton said:

Having spent almost 6 years in Saudi Arabia as a teenager/ young adult, circa 1977-1983, found it to be a great place in my formative years.

There was no shortage of Pork (US Army commissary privilege through extension).

Neither was alcohol ever in short supply.

Other recreational chemicals were also readily available if one was inclined.

The ex-pat community of the day were a resourceful and friendly contingent who looked after each other's back in what others might perceive as "hostile territory".

The springboard from Saudi Arabia to meeting a pretty "girlfriend" to spend some R&R time with for a twice annual 3 week holiday had to be destination Thailand.

Bringing the thread back to topic.

It is more recently that I have come into contact with Malaysia 3.5 decades later.

I find it to be a little confusing Oriental expectation-wise but admit do enjoy staying there.

Street Food is crap.

Xmas decorations of shopping malls would put most Western venues to shame.

Driverless trains on the urban network.

Free of charge inner city bus routes.

Quality hotel accommodation cheaper than Thailand.

My experience is based solely on Kuala Lumpur.

Kind of a hard act to follow when Northern neighbour is Thailand, and Southern neighbour is Singapore, or yet again perhaps a good base between.

Hotel rooms are cheaper in Thailand. Where does Malaysia have 4 star rooms for $40 a night?

1 hour ago, Redcurry said:

Not all Muslim people are bad. The terrorists have made others think Muslim a violent religion, but this religion originally embraces peace, share love and encourage everybody to live together in harmony.  

Muslims are people. The religion is Islam which is based on violence. Have you not researched it? Half the text is peaceful and half violence. The founder turned into a warlord and married a 6yo.

18 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Hotel rooms are cheaper in Thailand. Where does Malaysia have 4 star rooms for $40 a night?

All subjective as to what or whom classes the establishment as 4*.

Our choice has been The Chorus for KLCC directly under the Petronis towers when flat on your back with a beer at hand in the pool.

2 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

All subjective as to what or whom classes the establishment as 4*.

Our choice has been The Chorus for KLCC directly under the Petronis towers when flat on your back with a beer at hand in the pool.

Booking sites. Paid $60 for old 3 star in KL. Looked at the islands and never seen a quality beachside bungalow for $35 like you get on Lanta/Chang. Malay islands are expensive. 

1 hour ago, Redcurry said:

Not all Muslim people are bad. The terrorists have made others think Muslim a violent religion, but this religion originally embraces peace, share love and encourage everybody to live together in harmony.  

It wasn't about them being bad. It's just depressing being in a tropical setting and seeing the women covered in sheets and only men going into the bars (presumably because their women must stay at home at nights).

Like I've said, this is just what I saw in Batu Ferringhi in Penang. I'm sure there are plenty of other Muslim parts of the world where it's much more fun...

32 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It wasn't about them being bad. It's just depressing being in a tropical setting and seeing the women covered in sheets and only men going into the bars (presumably because their women must stay at home at nights).

Like I've said, this is just what I saw in Batu Ferringhi in Penang. I'm sure there are plenty of other Muslim parts of the world where it's much more fun...

Yes the sheets. Lots of harmony there. Dogs have more rights.

13 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Yes the sheets. Lots of harmony there. Dogs have more rights.

Those would have probably been tourists.  Malay women generally wear western dress or kaftans (plain or coloured) and a separate head scarf (again, plain or coloured).  Penang is as popular as Bangkok with tourists from the Middle East.

Edit: My colleague's wife wears figure-hugging full length lycra when she joins us cycling.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

9 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Those would have probably been tourists.  Malay women generally wear western dress or kaftans (plain or coloured) and a separate head scarf (again, plain or coloured).  Penang is as popular as Bangkok with tourists from the Middle East.

Edit: My colleague's wife wears figure-hugging full length lycra when she joins us cycling.

SC

The head rag might come in handy when changing a tyre.

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

The head rag might come in handy when changing a tyre.

Scarf.  The garment that ladies wear to cover their head is called a scarf, or headscarf, to distinguish it from a neck scarf.  My dear old late grandmother, before she died, would often wear a headscarf, although covering her hair was not a religious requirement of the Church of Scotland.

SC

27 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Malay women generally wear western dress or kaftans

Good to know, and so they should. That's called progression. Why most Muslims feel it necessary to follow fashions from several hundred years ago baffles me. As far as I know there is no dress code written in the holy book.

You don't see English folk walking around in Anglo-Saxon robes.

Perhaps those I saw in Batu Ferringhi were mostly tourists then, as you say.

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

Good to know, and so they should. That's called progression. Why most Muslims feel it necessary to follow fashions from several hundred years ago baffles me. As far as I know there is no dress code written in the holy book.

Malay fashion is moving backwards, I think.

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Dress came from men bringing in mistresses. That's where it started.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:34 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I worked a couple of year in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome. There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian-Malay everywhere you go.

Thailand feel more like home to me. 

Funny why people talk like that.  "There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian Malay everywhere you go".

You mean in USA, the black are very much accepted into the white society, I doubt it. In Europe and Britain , you mean all other brown or black are also accepted? To a small extent yes. Without the Race Relation Boards I think a lot more problems will crop up in Britain regarding racial problems that much I can promise you.

The truth in Malaysia is the Chinese or the Malays or Indians don't want to integrate, they want to stick to their own race and they don't want their culture to be assimilated by other races . They just want to be their own race, language and culture whatever may happen.

The government in Malaysia will make it seems everybody is happy , well, to some extent yes they are happy because they don't have to be assimilated by other races, they still speak their own dialects and eat their own foods. What's wrong with that?

How could they truly welcome you into their Asian society? Very seldom happen, I know it happens to very few people because these people go native, they speak the local lingo with the accent of the region, they eat the same foods, they locals truly welcome and accepted them, but they are the 0.05 percent of the farangs. Only a handful of them.

So you work for a couple of years in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome? The Malay, Chinese or Indian working in Britain or Australia or USA probably say the same thing. It's human nature to not trust other races too much. Good day to you.

12 minutes ago, madusa said:

The government in Malaysia will make it seems everybody is happy , well, to some extent yes they are happy because they don't have to be assimilated by other races, they still speak their own dialects and eat their own foods. What's wrong with that?

The problem is the government preference system that gives advantages to Muslim citizens over the rest. Ask any Chinese business owner in KL why the vast majority of Monorail stations are not easily accessible to their neighborhoods ? They will give you an earful about how their requests are ignored and stops were added in Muslim majority areas where they are little used. Just a thought...maybe when the government stops discriminating against other races in actual laws then perhaps we can say nothing is wrong with living apart.

1 minute ago, tonray said:

The problem is the government preference system that gives advantages to Muslim citizens over the rest. Ask any Chinese business owner in KL why the vast majority of Monorail stations are not easily accessible to their neighborhoods ? They will give you an earful about how their requests are ignored and stops were added in Muslim majority areas where they are little used. Just a thought...maybe when the government stops discriminating against other races in actual laws then perhaps we can say nothing is wrong with living apart.

Which monorail stops are little used?  The trains are busy from KL Sentral to Tittiwangsa.  The line runs down the main Jalan Sultan Ismail - there’s not room for it through Chinatown, which is served by Pasar Seni and Masjid Jamel stations on the LRT.  The monorail does serve the Indian Brickfields district with KL Sentral and Tun Sambathan stations, the latter also heavily used by the blind community.

27 minutes ago, madusa said:

Funny why people talk like that.  "There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian Malay everywhere you go".

You mean in USA, the black are very much accepted into the white society, I doubt it. In Europe and Britain , you mean all other brown or black are also accepted? To a small extent yes. Without the Race Relation Boards I think a lot more problems will crop up in Britain regarding racial problems that much I can promise you.

The truth in Malaysia is the Chinese or the Malays or Indians don't want to integrate, they want to stick to their own race and they don't want their culture to be assimilated by other races . They just want to be their own race, language and culture whatever may happen.

How could they truly welcome you into their Asian society? Very seldom happen, I know it happens to very few people because these people go native, they speak the local lingo with the accent of the region, they eat the same foods, they locals truly welcome and accepted them, but they are the 0.05 percent of the farangs. Only a handful of them.

So you work for a couple of years in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome? The Malay, Chinese or Indian working in Britain or Australia or USA probably say the same thing. It's human nature to not trust other races too much. Good day to you.

False. Foreigners are given freebies, language lessons and openly welcomed into the west with laws preventing discrimination. If anything they get more than the locals. That doesn't happen in Asia. Asian nations are the most racist in the world and muslims are the biggest bigots.

15 minutes ago, tonray said:

You are absolutely right. Without the Chinese the Malaysian economy would be about the same like in Indonesia, on a poor level. The racial discrimination of Chinese and Indians is a fact since the independence. The Malay "Bumiputera" (sons of the soil) control the whole government system. In a certain extense, the Malaysian political government system is clearly racist.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AloisAmrein said:

You are absolutely right. Without the Chinese the Malaysian economy would be about the same like in Indonesia, on a poor level. The racial discrimination of Chinese and Indians is a fact since the independence. The Malay "Bumiputera" (sons of the soil) control the whole government system. In a certain extense, the Malaysian political government system is clearly racist.

Which muslim nations are not bigoted? The text they follow promotes bigotry. Islam is a cult.

Crime rates in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Level of crime 67 High
Problem people using or dealing drugs 61.12 High
Problem property crimes such as vandalism and theft 72.37 High
Problem violent crimes such as assault and armed robbery 71.66 High
Problem corruption and bribery 84.20 Very High
Edited by Justfine