Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Easy. Australia. 

I don't think Australia has quite the same large proportion of people of such diverse culture.  

From wikipedia

"

Until the Second World War, the vast majority of settlers and immigrants came from the British Isles, and a majority of Australians have some British or Irish ancestry. These Australians form an ethnic group known as Anglo-Celtic Australians. In the 2016 Australian census, the most commonly nominated ancestries were:[37]

"

"

According to the 2016 census, English is the only language spoken in the home for close to 72.7% of the population. The next most common languages spoken at home are:[48]

"

My understanding is that Australia is still predominantly 'anglo-celtic', and that Aborigines don't make up a large or influential part of the population.  Of the non 'anglo-celtic', a large fraction are European in extraction and culture.

Like Malaysia, Australia has inherited from its Commonwealth origins stable and sound civil institutions that have served it well in the years since independence.  India might have been a better example.

SC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't think Australia has quite the same large proportion of people of such diverse culture.  

From wikipedia

"

Until the Second World War, the vast majority of settlers and immigrants came from the British Isles, and a majority of Australians have some British or Irish ancestry. These Australians form an ethnic group known as Anglo-Celtic Australians. In the 2016 Australian census, the most commonly nominated ancestries were:[37]

"

"

According to the 2016 census, English is the only language spoken in the home for close to 72.7% of the population. The next most common languages spoken at home are:[48]

"

My understanding is that Australia is still predominantly 'anglo-celtic', and that Aborigines don't make up a large or influential part of the population.  Of the non 'anglo-celtic', a large fraction are European in extraction and culture.

Like Malaysia, Australia has inherited from its Commonwealth origins stable and sound civil institutions that have served it well in the years since independence.  India might have been a better example.

SC

Similar to Malaysia, Australia has a racist approach in his official policy. Aborigenes are treaded as 3rd class citizens, non-white immigrants are discriminated. Refugees are persecuted and resent to the open sea.

6 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Similar to Malaysia, Australia has a racist approach in his official policy. Aborigenes are treaded as 3rd class citizens, non-white immigrants are discriminated. Refugees are persecuted and resent to the open sea.

False. Aboriginals get more than anyone else. Non white? Just a nonsense. Non English speakers get free language lessons and translations.

Illegal entrants get treated as illegal entrants.

Don't spread lies.

Edited by Justfine
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Which monorail stops are little used?  The trains are busy from KL Sentral to Tittiwangsa.  The line runs down the main Jalan Sultan Ismail - there’s not room for it through Chinatown, which is served by Pasar Seni and Masjid Jamel stations on the LRT.  The monorail does serve the Indian Brickfields district with KL Sentral and Tun Sambathan stations, the latter also heavily used by the blind community.

You're right "StreetCowboy". The LRT(light rail transits) & Monorail trains are always packed and the paper published that they are making lots of money. Monorail even invited by India to built one there. Mind you Monorail Malaysia is a home grown technology, not dependent on outside help that is a big plus for Malaysia.

So Mr tonray you see your mistakes?

7 hours ago, Justfine said:

False. Aboriginals get more than anyone else. Non white? Just a nonsense. Non English speakers get free language lessons and translations.

Illegal entrants get treated as illegal entrants.

Don't spread lies.

You are spreading lies, not me. You seem to have not the lightest idea about Australia.

Good to know, and so they should. That's called progression. Why most Muslims feel it necessary to follow fashions from several hundred years ago baffles me. As far as I know there is no dress code written in the holy book.
You don't see English folk walking around in Anglo-Saxon robes.

Perhaps those I saw in Batu Ferringhi were mostly tourists then, as you say.

What you see a lot of BF is what many call (not my word) ... Ninjas ... if all in black .. with face covered ... walking with a man wearing a Manchester United top ... They are Saudi tourists...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 2:49 PM, CG1 Blue said:

5 years ago I spent a week in KL and Penang.

In KL the process of going to a bar and getting a drink was way too complicated (I seem to recall you purchase a ticket on entry, then use it towards buying a bottle for your table). In that respect I prefer the more relaxed boozing in Thailand.

In Penang it was a little saddening seeing the majority of women walking around covered head to toe, and in the local bars (Batu Ferringhi) it was almost exclusively men.

I see people have remarked that you can find bacon and beer easily enough if you do some research, but personally I prefer being in a country where those things are not an issue in the first place.

Admittedly 1 week isn't long enough to get to know a whole country, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts with the OP.

I went there on a visa run once,got a five star hotel for sixty quid per night,went into a bar in the city centre sat down and ordered a pint of Stella whiuch came in those special tulip glasses they do.A bit expensive at ten quid a pint so I got a taxi to take me into the sticks,had a great chat with him in perfect English went into the bar he took me to and ordered a pint of Guinness for 5-6 quid.
It was like ordering a beer anywhere else in Asia but actually felt almost like being in a warmer version of the UK also,locals very friendly didn't have a single problem with anyone at all!
Then again the first place I ever lived in South-East Asia was Bali,Indonesia just before the bombings,plus I've lived inJakarta and guess what?No problems whatsoever strange that!

• Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 10:24 AM, poanoi said:

ok, same as cambodia then, i've been here 3 years waiting to get 50,

and i cant stand the zero quality here, specially the fkn foam mattresses

& miserable lack of food

If you pay for a foam matress you get one,who's fault is that certainly not Cambodia's?

• Haha 1

On 07/02/2018 at 5:42 AM, simple1 said:

No prostitution in Malaysia? - you've got to be joking

I went to KL for a visa run and to the local clubs I found on Trip Advisor I think?As soon as I walked in girls were just coming up to me and quoting a price for the night in Ringgit from Vietnam,China,Phils and every other part of SEA it was mind boggling!
Then again I am a very 'Hansum Man' as all the Thai girls regularly tell me so!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ai Hia said:

If you pay for a foam matress you get one,who's fault is that certainly not Cambodia's?

its fashion here, every hotel got them,

everyone is cheap here,

when ordering food likewise, they are just cheap with the meat, thais are cheap too, but not as cheap as khmers

Edited by poanoi

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

Better than the coconut husk mattresses in Thailand. It feels like sleeping on bricks.

no, i have never suffered so much unbearable pain as in cambodia,

every_second 3 years straight, this place has no quality at all, but thailand do

12 hours ago, Ai Hia said:
  On 2/7/2018 at 5:24 PM, poanoi said:

ok, same as cambodia then, i've been here 3 years waiting to get 50,

and i cant stand the zero quality here, specially the fkn foam mattresses

& miserable lack of food

why not buy your own futon or go serve the remainder of your 3 years in Vietnam or somewhere else without da foam

I just had a great day out cycling.  Through the villages beyond the suburbs, into a neighbouring township to a friend's workshop, back to a Chinese coffee shop for a few beers in the afternoon, back home for a bit of recovery cider in one of the pubs across the road, and pork sausage, beans and mash for dinner.

There were a lot of Thai-style "tom yum" restaurants out in the villages, but we didn't stop.

What's not to like?

SC

On 10/02/2018 at 10:58 PM, Ai Hia said:

A traveler came to the gates of a new city and asked the gatekeeper, "What kind of people live here?"
The gatekeeper answered with a question of his own, "What kind of people lived in the city you just came from?"
The traveler replied, "They were mostly a cantankerous lot, greedy and self-centered."
The gatekeeper answered, "I expect you will find the people here just the same."
Soon after, another traveler met the gatekeeper and asked the same question.  Again the gatekeeper asked, "How did you find the residents of the city you visited last?"
The traveler answered enthusiastically, "They were warm and hospitable; truly a fine group of people."
The gatekeeper responded, "I expect you will find these folk just the same."

That it is.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 3:52 AM, StreetCowboy said:

From wikipedia

"

"

"

"

SC

Over 1/3 of Australians are Asian or of Asian background.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:01 AM, AloisAmrein said:

Aboriginal Australians, who comprise 3% of the population, have had $130 BILLION ($130,000,000,000) spent on aid and programs for them in the last 8 years, hardly "3rd class citizen" treatment. "Non white immigrants are discriminated" is a pretty big blanket call, I enjoyed a few beers at the local club yesterday with the Chinese cook and his Vietnamese wife, I don't recall much discriminating going on. The "refugees" are actually economic migrants who falsely claim to be fleeing persecution, after having paid illegal people smugglers to transit them through several safe countries. When entering Australia's waters, they then destroy their documents making it very difficult to establish exactly who and what they are. Australia is under no obligation to accept them, Australia advertises this fact widely, yet they still choose to attempt the journey, at their own peril.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Aboriginal Australians, who comprise 3% of the population, have had $130 BILLION ($130,000,000,000) spent on aid and programs for them in the last 8 years, hardly "3rd class citizen" treatment. "Non white immigrants are discriminated" is a pretty big blanket call, I enjoyed a few beers at the local club yesterday with the Chinese cook and his Vietnamese wife, I don't recall much discriminating going on. The "refugees" are actually economic migrants who falsely claim to be fleeing persecution, after having paid illegal people smugglers to transit them through several safe countries. When entering Australia's waters, they then destroy their documents making it very difficult to establish exactly who and what they are. Australia is under no obligation to accept them, Australia advertises this fact widely, yet they still choose to attempt the journey, at their own peril.

Under 3% and the most popular restaurants are asian.

Here are the countries that resettled the most refugees through the UNHCR in 2015:

1. United States (66,500)
  2. Canada (20,000)
  3. Australia (9,400)
  4. Norway (2,400)

All the terrible "racist" ones 555

• Like 1