Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

8 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I used to travel to Penang a lot and was considering buying property there. One day I was reading the paper and the headline was “fatwa issued against yoga”. That’s right, they thought by practicing yoga, you were going to convert religions. Not that I could care less about yoga, but that’s the mentality of people running the place. Didn’t buy property there and never looked back. 

Traditional yoga did have a strong spiritual/religious aspect to it before it was hijacked by oversized western feminists in spandex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

There's a yoga place in my street, as well as more than half a dozen pubs, a church, and a couple of private Islamic educational establishments and a Chinese coffee shop.  There's also a car tyre place, a cleaning and waxing place and three banks.

That’s not really the point.

12 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I used to travel to Penang a lot and was considering buying property there. One day I was reading the paper and the headline was “fatwa issued against yoga”. That’s right, they thought by practicing yoga, you were going to convert religions. Not that I could care less about yoga, but that’s the mentality of people running the place. Didn’t buy property there and never looked back. 

That would have only applied to Muslims, but I get your drift. However, Malaysia backs down from yoga ban.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-malaysia-islam-yoga/malaysia-backs-down-from-yoga-ban-amid-backlash-idUSTRE4AP2CA20081126

Thailand has its own issues that are not culturally aligned with Western norms such as restricted freedom of speech and other issues we are not permitted to discuss on a Thai based social media platform, for which Westerners have been jailed.

One time during a visit to Malaysia my wife had her bag snatched. I have to say the police were very courteous and helpful.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 1:18 PM, soomak said:

Yes

(lived there 2+ years)

ok, same as cambodia then, i've been here 3 years waiting to get 50,

and i cant stand the zero quality here, specially the <deleted> foam mattresses

& miserable lack of food

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

LOL. In the US the usual mob are saying Yoga is racist because it is mainly practiced by white women.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. In the US the usual mob are saying Yoga is racist because it is mainly practiced by white women.

Thought you were joking - the academic blah blah below

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-yoga-american-white-supremacy-michigan-state-university-shreena-gandhi-racism-professor-a8185206.html

On 2/2/2018 at 11:45 PM, AloisAmrein said:

Malaysian and specially Indonesian food is much more varied then the everyday Thai kitchen. After one week in Thailand, eating becomes a boring duty. Chicken and rice, rice and pork, tom yam kung, tom yam gai and that's it. Absolutely boring.

You will need to be open-minded and do more research on Thai food then. There are so many side dishes, noodles, desserts, etc that you cannot find somewhere else. Try new things, try everything. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ironically I was told by a surgeon that there’s a reason yoga was developed in the sub continent and that’s because Asians are better suited to it physiologically. Caucasian’s are better suited to Pilates. Just what he told me, haven’t verified it. Though most of his surgeries are on Falang with screwed up hips due to yoga.

7 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Ironically I was told by a surgeon that there’s a reason yoga was developed in the sub continent and that’s because Asians are better suited to it physiologically. Caucasian’s are better suited to Pilates. Just what he told me, haven’t verified it. Though most of his surgeries are on Falang with screwed up hips due to yoga.

Sounds like utter <deleted>, especially the part in bold.

5 years ago I spent a week in KL and Penang.

In KL the process of going to a bar and getting a drink was way too complicated (I seem to recall you purchase a ticket on entry, then use it towards buying a bottle for your table). In that respect I prefer the more relaxed boozing in Thailand.

In Penang it was a little saddening seeing the majority of women walking around covered head to toe, and in the local bars (Batu Ferringhi) it was almost exclusively men.

I see people have remarked that you can find bacon and beer easily enough if you do some research, but personally I prefer being in a country where those things are not an issue in the first place.

Admittedly 1 week isn't long enough to get to know a whole country, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts with the OP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

In KL the process of going to a bar and getting a drink was way too complicated (I seem to recall you purchase a ticket on entry, then use it towards buying a bottle for your table). In that respect I prefer the more relaxed boozing in Thailand.

In Penang it was a little saddening seeing the majority of women walking around covered head to toe, and in the local bars (Batu Ferringhi) it was almost exclusively men.

I see people have remarked that you can find bacon and beer easily enough if you do some research, but personally I prefer being in a country where those things are not an issue in the first place.

Admittedly 1 week isn't long enough to get to know a whole country, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts with the OP.

I don't know which bars you've been going into, but the  ones in my suburb, and in the adjacent suburbs, and in Bukit Bintang, you go in, sometimes a waiter or waitress will show you to a seat, sometimes you seat yourself, attract the attention of one one of the serving staff, and order a drink.  If you want a bottle kept for you behind the bar I understand its more complex, but if you are ordering shorts or beer or wine by the glass then you order, drink, pay on presentation of the bill.  Some places present the bill round by round, some at the end of the evening,  At the Home and Away chain, you sign for your drinks round by round, then pay at the end of the evening. 

The bars on Jalan P Ramlee generally have a cover charge which entitles you to a 'free' drink on presentation of the coupon at the bar.  I think that's to make sure the bar gets some money from the hookers, and the blokes that are just there to pick up a hooker and go, and the people that want t just sit all night listening to the band.

I don't think its any more complicated than drinking in Fife on a Sunday (although that might have changed in the last 30 years).

SC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

This is nonsense.  Have you ever been to a bar in Bangsar?  You seem like a "I spent a week there one afternoon" type of guy.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, norrska said:

This is nonsense.  Have you ever been to a bar in Bangsar?  You seem like a "I spent a week there one afternoon" type of guy.

He never said he lived there and visited all the bar areas. 

He gave his experience so it's not nonsense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258139500_Are_Asian_hands_more_flexible_than_their_Caucasian_counterparts

Edited by Justfine
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Justfine said:

He never said he lived there and visited all the bar areas. 

He gave his experience so it's not nonsense.

He didn't say he went to all bar areas.  He said he went to a 'local bar' in Batu Ferringhi, and at least one bar in KL.

It sounds like a bar on Jalan P Ramlee, where the cover charge gives you a free drink, or somewhere where you buy a bottle and the staff put your name on it for future use.  As he says, way too complicated, so I don't drink in bars like that in Malaysia, or in Thailand.

I prefer the relaxed drinking in the pubs in Bangsar, or dozens of other suburbs, or the Chinese coffee shops.  Its nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy a beer without worrying about restrictions on drinking in the afternoon, or near schools, or on religious holidays. 

But I can see that some people would choose where they chose to live based on whether all butchers sold pork, or only a subset of butchers.  It's probably also worth pointing out that I have never found anywhere to buy haggis in Malaysia, so if that's a deal breaker, Malaysia is not for you

SC 

• Haha 1