Police record and visiting Thailand

My family have been invited to a wedding in Thailand. My brother did time in prison in 2005 for sexual assault as his ex-girlfriend (adult) made a complaint.

Will he be allowed to visit Thailand.

He has never had a passport but is applying for one. He has no other record and has not been charged with any crimes since then.

Will he need to declare this information or will they already have it in their system. Will he be refused entry when he turns up.

It seems pointless flying there just to be turned around.

Should he contact the Thai Embassy in Australia before going to make sure he can visit.

NO NEED FOR ABUSIVE COMMENTS THANK YOU.

5 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Yes we have searched but yet to find any about this sort of crime. Plus a post on this site said someone was refused last year for a lesser crime over 25 years ago and this guy had visited before. Thank you for this new link, I will check it out.

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Is he listed as a 'sex offender" ? Is he is...he may be on a list shared by the US and Thailand

Australia so I think it is the same as the US. As for what they class him as, I have no idea but he does not need to notify police when he changes his address or car ego details like some do.

6 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

I can't see why the US would share an Australian list with Thailand ?
Don't they have enough of their own to worry about ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

My bad....I missed Aussie....thought US

4 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Not sure what visas are available these days but if you want to be absolutely sure then go to the thai consulate. It will cost more but no way they can refuse him when he arrives
Peace of mind I guess

Thank you. Should I get him to visit the Australian Embassy first to make sure?

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

your nonsy brother doesn't need to worry. he doesn't need a criminal record check to enter thailand (unfortunately) 555

Whatever <deleted>. Sad world when family get judged because of other family members but I'm use to it now. Just shows how low some people really are, needing to make yourself feel better do you be attacking others.

• Like 2

Just now, dennis D said:

Whatever <deleted>. Sad world when family get judged because of other family members but I'm use to it now. Just shows how low some people really are, needing to make yourself feel better do you be attacking others.

i was only joking. couldn't resist it. he doesnt need to go to the embassy. as i said in between my piss taking, they don't check criminal records to enter thailand

for what exactly? he doesn;t need a criminal record check as said already

I meant the Thai Embassy. Someone else has posted in the site that they got refused entry for a crime from 25 years ago and much lesser crime. They visited Thailand before then when they went back they got refused entry.

Just now, dennis D said:

I meant the Thai Embassy. Someone else has posted in the site that they got refused entry for a crime from 25 years ago and much lesser crime. They visited Thailand before then when they went back they got refused entry.

point me to the thread. doesn't add up unless they were prosecuted in thailand?

i was only joking. couldn't resist it. he doesnt need to go to the embassy. as i said in between my piss taking, they don't check criminal records to enter thailand

Thank you. But 13 years of piss taking does get to me given I did not do the crime. he did the crime and he did the time and he got a good flogging from me and my other brothers for it. Now we have moved on. :)

• Like 1

Just now, dennis D said:

Thank you. But 13 years of piss taking does get to me given I did not do the crime. he did the crime and he did the time and he got a good flogging from me and my other brothers for it. Now we have moved on. :)

ok. understand. he can come in on visa exempt. he won't need a visa if he's just coming for a wedding for a few weeks. no need to go to any embassy

Just now, Will27 said:

I don't know where you get your information from.

Of course he can be refused by an Immigration Officer.

Whether he has a visa or not is irrelevant.

that's true but they would have no reason to refuse him so highly unlikely they would if he's just coming for a wedding and has no visa history 

19 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Not sure what visas are available these days but if you want to be absolutely sure then go to the thai consulate. It will cost more but no way they can refuse him when he arrives
Peace of mind I guess

Getting a visa be travel does not guarantee that immigration will let you enter. 

Thai Consulates are under the ministry of foreign affairs, immigration is part of Royal Thai police. 

They don't share any data with each other. 

Getting a visa be travel does not guarantee that immigration will let you enter. 

Thai Consulates are under the ministry of foreign affairs, immigration is part of Royal Thai police. 
They don't share any data with each other. 
There you go learnt something new
  • Like 1

OP…. Your brother does not need to declare his criminal offence if he applies for a tourist visa.  In fact as an Australian citizen he is eligible for Visa Exempt – that is to say he does not need to obtain a visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Australia, he just arrives at the airport, gives his passport to that immigration officer, who will then allow him to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days (free of charge).

Regarding your comments about another post concerning the refusal to allow another person from the USA to enter the kingdom because he allegedly had a criminal record, I would ignore. 

A lot of paranoia and people jumping to all sorts of wrong conclusions.  There is no indication from the original poster as to what offence he was convicted of.  2 months in jail is very unlikely to be a sex offence. Law enforcement agencies around the world don’t routinely share information about people who have been convicted of not wearing a seatbelt or any other offence.

Hope your brother gets to the wedding.

PS... Tell your brother - if the immigration officer askes him do you have a criminal record - smile nicely and say Who me?

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

yes but that's specifically targetting paedophiles travelling here like gary glitter and his lot. rightly so. the OP's brother would not be affected