Police record and visiting Thailand

8 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

OP…. Your brother does not need to declare his criminal offence if he applies for a tourist visa.  In fact as an Australian citizen he is eligible for Visa Exempt – that is to say he does not need to obtain a visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Australia, he just arrives at the airport, gives his passport to that immigration officer, who will then allow him to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days (free of charge).

Regarding your comments about another post concerning the refusal to allow another person from the USA to enter the kingdom because he allegedly had a criminal record, I would ignore. 

A lot of paranoia and people jumping to all sorts of wrong conclusions.  There is no indication from the original poster as to what offence he was convicted of.  2 months in jail is very unlikely to be a sex offence. Law enforcement agencies around the world don’t routinely share information about people who have been convicted of not wearing a seatbelt or any other offence.

Hope your brother gets to the wedding.

PS... Tell your brother - if the immigration officer askes him do you have a criminal record - smile nicely and say Who me?

"There is no indication from the original poster as to what offence he was convicted of."

Not correct, maybe you missed the post? He was convicted of statutory rape.

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

yes but that's specifically targetting paedophiles travelling here like gary glitter and his lot. rightly so. the OP's brother would not be affected

Last statement by the lawyer. 

'Incidentally, other countries may not make the distinction between classes of sex offenders, and may, like Thailand, simply deny convicted sex offenders the right of entry.' 

"With the passage in 2016 of the International Megan's Law, sex offenders are prohibited from entering the country of Thailand. This articlediscusses the law and specifically notes that Thailand turned away over 160 sex offenders last year alone. Even before the passage of the law last year however, Thailand was very restrictive, given that it is known as a country popular with sex offenders"

Just now, PoorSucker said:

well done US. OP, it seems your brother may have a problem coming here

**or maybe not. that is specifically paedos

Edited by Happy enough

21 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

OP…. Your brother does not need to declare his criminal offence if he applies for a tourist visa.  In fact as an Australian citizen he is eligible for Visa Exempt – that is to say he does not need to obtain a visa from the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Australia, he just arrives at the airport, gives his passport to that immigration officer, who will then allow him to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days (free of charge).

Regarding your comments about another post concerning the refusal to allow another person from the USA to enter the kingdom because he allegedly had a criminal record, I would ignore. 

A lot of paranoia and people jumping to all sorts of wrong conclusions.  There is no indication from the original poster as to what offence he was convicted of.  2 months in jail is very unlikely to be a sex offence. Law enforcement agencies around the world don’t routinely share information about people who have been convicted of not wearing a seatbelt or any other offence.

Hope your brother gets to the wedding.

PS... Tell your brother - if the immigration officer askes him do you have a criminal record - smile nicely and say Who me?

Thank you. I in boxed you but since seen your replies here. Thank you for your time and info. And thank you for not abusing me because of my brothers past. He done the crime, he done the time and me and my 3 other brothers flogged the shit out of him for it and then moved on. :)

8 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

It was with his ex girlfriend who is an Adult.

Edited by dennis D

Just now, dennis D said:

Thank you. I in boxed you but since seen your replies here. Thank you for your time and info. And thank you for not abusing me because of my brothers past. He done the crime, he done the time and me and my 3 other brothers flogged the shit out of him for it and then moved on. :)

do you mind giving him a quick slap from me too : )

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If he is on a sex offender watch list he will not be allowed to enter.

This is NOT TRUE.  Many convicted foreign sex offenders visit Thailand and plenty go on to live in the country.  There are many cases of foreigners arrested for crimes in Thailand who it is later shown were convicted for crimes of a sexual nature in their own country.

I really wish what you said was true and there was some sort of watch list so those with sexual (or other serious) convictions could not enter Thailand.

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

do you mind giving him a quick slap from me too : )

Yes because we broke 3 of his ribs and jaw. He has paid his price. Now like us with him, time to move on. :)

I can't speak in every case, but I know Australia advises Thailand if a convicted sex offender (no matter how trivial the offence) is to visit their country. A friend was refused entry and sent back to Oz after the Aussie Federal police advised the Thai authorities.

1 minute ago, dennis D said:

You mentioned in your original post that your brother does not have to notify anyone (law enforcement, I assume) when he changes address.  If that is the case, he is not an the sex offenders register and will not have to notify anyone when he leaves the country.  So highly unlikely that his history will be disclosed by the Australian Authorities.

As I said - Good luck and hope the wedding goes well.

3 minutes ago, mstevens said:

This is NOT TRUE.  Many convicted foreign sex offenders visit Thailand and plenty go on to live in the country.  There are many cases of foreigners arrested for crimes in Thailand who it is later shown were convicted for crimes of a sexual nature in their own country.

I really wish what you said was true and there was some sort of watch list so those with sexual (or other serious) convictions could not enter Thailand.

Apparently that information is included in US passports. Other countries I really don't know.

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

that's for child sex offences which the OP's brother didn't do so should be fine

Op's brother is Australian, so it is not applicable anyway.

But the remark was made in reference to another thread.

1 hour ago, dennis D said:

My brother did time in prison in 2005 for sexual assault as his ex-girlfriend (adult) made a complaint.

With respects your brother is a convicted sex attacker. It's not like a complaint was made, and nothing was found out and it went away. He was not a child - he was an adult, with the responsibilities of adulthood. He chose to make the sexual assault. Describing it merely as a 'complaint' is insulting and derogatory to the 'adult victim' he attacked.  I'm sure her relatives would not describe it as just a complaint !! People don't go to prison for 'mild' sexual assault. 

That said, I am a believer in people moving on after stupid mistakes, so assuming he is not on - or has now been removed off - some sex register that prevents travel he is welcome here. I know people who have similar convictions and they have had no problems entering Thailand.

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

Op's brother is Australian, so it is not applicable anyway.

But the remark was made in reference to another thread.

getting too complicated now. so to cut a long story short . . he should be fine to go to the wedding on a visa exempt?

1 hour ago, toughlove said:

Not sure what visas are available these days but if you want to be absolutely sure then go to the thai consulate. It will cost more but no way they can refuse him when he arrives
Peace of mind I guess

Sorry, but all because you have a visa does not give you a guarantee or the right to enter a country, it is up to the IO at your entry point on whether you can enter or not. This has happened a couple of times  has been on a couple of threads on here recently and this applies to all countries even Australia.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

If he is on a sex offender watch list he will not be allowed to enter.

We are in Australia. But when he moved address or gets a new car rego he does not have to report it like others have to, so we are not sure of his status.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

With respects your brother is a convicted sex attacker. It's not like a complaint was made, and nothing was found out and it went away. He was not a child - he was an adult, with the responsibilities of adulthood. He chose to make the sexual assault. Describing it merely as a 'complaint' is insulting and derogatory to the 'adult victim' he attacked.  I'm sure her relatives would not describe it as just a complaint !! People don't go to prison for 'mild' sexual assault. 

That said, I am a believer in people moving on after stupid mistakes, so assuming he is not on - or has now been removed off - some sex register that prevents travel he is welcome here. I know people who have similar convictions and they have had no problems entering Thailand.

Complaint was made meaning who made the complaint. Given my brothers and I broke 3 of his ribs and jaw for this, you now think I'm insulting his ex-girlfriend just because of how I worded my OP.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Apparently that information is included in US passports. Other countries I really don't know.

It would appear that registered child sex offender's in the USA are now having to apply for a new passport if they wish to travel outside the US.  Apparently the last page of the passport contains a notation (they call it an identifier) to the effect  “The bearer was convicted of a sex offence against a minor, and is a covered sex offender pursuant to US law.”

This follows the recent adoption of the so called Megan's Law in the US in 2016.

A first for the US.  How long before other countries follow this example?

Edited by 007 RED