When Farangs Go Native

webfact

21 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

They were obviously no good. Did they get you reading? BTW, a good Thai teacher is one that doesn't speak English when teaching. Did yours?

I'm amazed at how many Westerners look for a Thai teacher that speaks English well. Even English teachers, who know about language acquisition, and wouldn't dream of using Thai in their English classroom.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm amazed at how many Westerners look for a Thai teacher that speaks English well. Even English teachers, who know about language acquisition, and wouldn't dream of using Thai in their English classroom.

Maybe they are looking for a Thai teacher who teaches the Thai language ?

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

I would not be threatened by any person speaking Thai to my wife, I understand how proud you guys must be, and no problem with you putting your Thai language skills on display.

However my wife would probably be embarrassed by the fact that I may not understand what was being said, and, prefer to conduct a conversation in English. Preferably also not directly to her.

That's your lack of people skills showing, I mentioned earlier.

Interesting.

How about when the wife's poor English skills lock her out of participating in a conversation between two native English speakers? Isn't it poor manners to just keep jabbering away in English, leaving her to slouch in her seat and fiddle with her smart phone? Isn't it more polite to bring her into the conversation by speaking a little Thai to her? I'm asking because you seem to think your people skills are more advanced than mine. By the way, your comment about "preferably also not directed at her" makes it sound like you see your wife as your appendage, and that all communication with her should go through you, which seems to be rather medieval thinking in my book.

Presuming you're in Thailand, your wife must speak Thai in front of you all the time, sometimes because the other person can't speak English, but often because it's just more expedient. You've given your wife permission to switch between English and Thai as she sees fit, and I'm sure plenty of Thais converse with her in Thai in front of you, but a fellow foreigner is rude for speaking Thai with your wife? Who made that rule up, and more to my earlier point, why was that rule made up? Again, because of jealousy?

And what about when there is a group of non-English speaking Thais present and everyone (except you) can understand Thai. Are you saying I ought to get your permission before speaking Thai to them, or that I should speak English to your wife and let her be the designated translator? All in order to defer to you, who, after all, is the most important person in the room, right?

And what if I want to speak Thai with a Thai simply for the joy of speaking the language, or because I want that Thai person to know that I've bothered to learn their language? Shouldn't you be the one graciously and happily deferring to such efforts at building cultural goodwill, not the other way around?

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

They were obviously no good. Did they get you reading? BTW, a good Thai teacher is one that doesn't speak English when teaching. Did yours?

So now you are an expert on all Thai teachers in Thailand going back over 20 years.

How can a Thai teacher respond to an English pupil who does not understand the Thai that was just spoken, if not in English?

She must have been good as many foreign companies employed the company that she worked for and still employ her now that she is independent.

Please understand that I have NO MORE interest in your comments.

In fact do NOT even bother to reply to this, as IMHO you are one of the most boring, arrogant, ignorant and annoying posters that I have come across on TVF since I joined TVF back in 2003.

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had checked and posted it
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So now you are an expert on all Thai teachers in Thailand going back over 20 years.

How can a Thai teacher respond to an Eglish pupil who does not understand the Thai that was just spoken if not in English?

She must have been good as many foreign companies employed the company that she worked for and still employ her now that she is independent.

Please understand that I have NO MORE interest in your comments.

In fact do NOT even bother to reply to this, as IMHO you are one of the most boring, arrogant, ignorant and annoying posters that I have come across on TVF since I joined TVF back in 2003.

You should know that flaming is against the forum rules then.

How did you learn English? Ever heard of immersion?

In fact, I find you the typical rural pensioner to bee most annoying, trying to justify your bad choices of choosing where to build a house. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your parents/teachers meeting.

Don't you realize that you're teaching your son that half of his being is not worthy? I'm sure he get enough of that from his mother!

Edited by MrPatrickThai

47 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Interesting.

How about when the wife's poor English skills lock her out of participating in a conversation between two native English speakers? Isn't it poor manners to just keep jabbering away in English, leaving her to slouch in her seat and fiddle with her smart phone? Isn't it more polite to bring her into the conversation by speaking a little Thai to her? I'm asking because you seem to think your people skills are more advanced than mine.

Maybe our wife's language skills are above your wife's language skills.

My family all speak English, none of us speak Central Thai as a first language.

Not to mention I don't bring foreigners home with me, and I don't take my wife anywhere with foreigners.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

here we go again. some of those who went native (or are going to) are writing dissertations or making snide remarks about others who live happily surrounded by the Land of Smiles and its natives but are unable to discuss quantum mechanics or thermo physics in Thai with their gardener or the barber who cuts their hair.

:cheesy:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Maybe our wife's language skills are above your wife's language skills.

Is this the same wife that you said was in a drug gang when you met her? Left school at 12? Was sold when she was 14 by her parents? 

Please share to Walter how she can learn a language so well :cheesy:

21 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Is this the same wife that you said was in a drug gang when you met her? Left school at 12? Was sold when she was 14 by her parents? 

Please share to Walter how she can learn a language so well :cheesy:

She's half way through University now ..............

Seems to me you're a bit of a racist, thinking Thais are stupid.

I believe the problem is in the culture, not the race.

It wasn't her problem she was born to a poor family.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Gecko123 said:

Interesting.

How about when the wife's poor English skills lock her out of participating in a conversation between two native English speakers?

how about a wife who after 38 years of marriage still corrects my English grammar or mocks my Tcherman ack-TSent? :ermm: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I am amazed how much Thai speakers care about other people's lives. You live in a country with 68 million other people that you can apparently communicate with at a very high standard. Why are you stuck here criticising complete strangers and their families in English? I thought the standard of conversation that could be had with everyday locals was out of this world...I guess not. 

:clap2:

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

but a fellow foreigner is rude for speaking Thai with your wife? Who made that rule up, and more to my earlier point, why was that rule made up? Again, because of jealousy?

not jealousy but because my wife doesn't speak Thai. :cowboy:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

This may also help explain why some Thai speaking TVF members might come across as hungry for recognition of their language skills. It's because they rarely receive due recognition from their fellow ex-pats for something which oftentimes is a major life accomplishment.

Edited 18 hours ago by Gecko123

That about sums it up..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

That about sums it up..

Sure does! I've lived in 10 countries around the world, worked as a nuclear physicist have lots of qualification and money but choose to make no effort to speak to the locals in Thailand as they're below me, to build my house in the sex capital of the world(Walter)  for the nice beach or the middle of rice files to give my kids a good education(Bill).

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You should know that flaming is against the forum rules then.

How did you learn English? Ever heard of immersion?

In fact, I find you the typical rural pensioner to bee most annoying, trying to justify your bad choices of choosing where to build a house. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your parents/teachers meeting.

Don't you realize that you're teaching your son that half of his being is not worthy? I'm sure he get enough of that from his mother!

Ignorance, arrogance and now insults.

How many rural pensioners do you REALLY know personally?

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Ignorance, arrogance and now insults.

How many rural pensioners do you REALLY know personally?

You started the insults, i.e arrogant, ignorant etc a few posts back. 

What a nerve. 

Did it ever cross your mind to learn the alphabet when your 3 year old kid was doing it? Or maybe you were away working abroad to pay his 2000 baht a year school fees. Your wife doesn't want you to learn Thai, admit it. I don't actually blame her.