Government School Teaching

Eastender

I've taught in young adult private schools, but never government ( but may need to do so in the future).

So I'm wondering, what sort of hours most people put in. How many are actual teaching, how many planning, how many are you required to be on the school grounds?

I know salaries may vary but any general guidelines?

Thanks

General specs:

Hours around 20 contact hours/week, mostly TEFL conversation stuff, taught to classes of over FIFTY students! Not much homework or other grading. You usually have to stay at school all day and go on special activities and trips. Salary anywhere from 25-35K, but if you respect yourself you won't accept less than 30K. High chance that you won't get the real work permit, visa, etc., and you'll have to pay for your visa trips (if they're still even possible) yourself. Also a high chance that your "contract" will really be a 10-11 month one and they'll try not to pay you during the end-of-term holidays. Good luck.

"Steven"

I agree with Ijustwannateach, also government school's IMHO is the best way to go, cause it seems like the private language schools tend to take advantage of you in terms of hours and class time, and at least you have weekends off^-^

As I work at a Government school I would just like to add a few words. Not all G. schools will treat you so bad. Where I am working the staff, and some of my fellow teachers, have all been very helpful and legal in their dealings with me. They sorted out the work permit, my tax, and all my paper work needed for the relative offices that I had to visit on the road to employment; they even came with me the first year to make sure it all went smoothly.

The hours are as stated, 20 teaching hours per week. I personally do a fair bit of marking and grading work, which takes time, plus prep. work which I do at home, as there really is little in the way of materials and facilities at the school. Having said that, this week I am on 2 days as the school is closed while the M-1, M-2 and M-3 students go camping. I was told I had to go but due to being an old git with back probs, I declined this fine opportunity to sleep in a tent with 1000 screaming kids on holiday. Last week was 4 days due to Teachers day, the week before that was 4 days due to English day at the school so no classes for me. The week before that was 3 days for some Gov. holiday etc. Summer holiday I worked or no pay.

I love January! (I did work Christmas day).

A lot depends on the school you choose, I hear so many scary stories about schools and working conditions, I think I got lucky with mine. It is not all good, but that is more down to the students than the staff and their dealings with me. I have several very enjoyable classes, with students that stay awake long enough to learn with me, other classes.... well banging head against brick wall is more pleasant and appreciated.

A little research on the school can help a lot. I am the only foreign teacher at my school so when applying for the job there was no feedback available from other workers. Local info consisted of, 'oh bad boys there', turns out that was true, but I get on with them pretty well, as long as I don't do anything stupid like expect them to think.

Pro's Lots

Con's Lots

Research the school a little, ask both locals and foreigners about schools in the area you wish to teach. The locals will know a lot about the reputation the kids from that school have, and it is them that you will be spending your time trying to help.

Edited by Boatabike

Yeah it is the same for me I work at a government school in the south and I get better salary than most other teachers at private schools in the area, I get paid 12 months of the year my visa work permit and all cost are taken care of, my salary is always on time if not early. Ok sometimes the teaching is harder as there are bigger classes and the standard is as great as the richer schools but the majority of the students want to learn and give all the teachers the utmost respect.

Mike (Trang, Thailand)

As said, all depends on the school.

I have been working at the same govt. school for five years. We teach a single subject, in my case science, to a single grade (M2 for me). 16 - 50 minute periods a week. Max 28 to a class, four classes per level (Outstanding students who are eager to learn and well behaved). This means only one set of prep work per week. The first year can be tough, lots of planning but after that its mostly plain sailling. We must be there at 7:50 in the morning but they are leniant on when we leave, as long as you don't take the piss!Starting salary is 30K with yearly increases all taxes paid by the school. I have always been treated with respect by the management and they have been very helpfull and accomodating when I or any other teacher has needed help, including financialy. All teachers have their own desk with new computers and fast internet access (had up to 50 mps on the weekend!). Anything we want as regards resources is supplied, I asked for a newly equiped science room with a new computer, lcd projector, sound system, special tables, lectern, sinks and equipment as well as being painted to my choice of colour, no problems, done over the summer holiday! This is probably why so many teachers have been at the place for five or more years. Maybe its an exceptional school but they are out there. I know of one other govt. school in town that is much the same. From looking at the private schools I think your better at a govt. school, just have to look around for the good ones.

Sean