Me No Ingrish: Travel blogger’s offensive post generalizing Thais sparks conversation

snoop1130

Me No Ingrish: Travel blogger’s offensive post generalizing Thais sparks conversation

By Laurel Tuohy

hfgjhg.JPG

A selection of previously published photos from Coconuts stories plus one from drburtoni/Flickr, right.

A blog post from 2014, called “7 Reasons Why We Won’t be Returning to Thailand,” has been recently updated and sparked a new round of comments and a discussion on Reddit’s Thailand forum over the last two days.

The scathing post called British blogger Jack Bolshaw’s three week trip to Thailand “horrendously stressful and generally unpleasant.”

“A holiday we were immensely looking forward to was spoilt by, I regret to say so bluntly, the majority of the Thai people we came across,” who he called “openly passive-aggressive and deceitful.”

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/no-ingrish-travel-bloggers-offensive-post-generalizing-thais-sparks-conversation/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-2-1

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the not speaking english part....taxidrivers, staff in the big malls around Siam, the police in that area, the security...nobody can speak english while there are loads of foreigners around from all continents.

The rest of BKK also can't speak english but those tourists rarely go there....

Last week we went to a restaurant which is very highly mentioned at tripadvisor..

My wife told the taxi the name, he dropped us at a pier but there was no restaurant..we could see it over the water though, 10 meters away. So my wife asked some Thai how to get there....we followed the directions and couldn't find it....she asked again, we ended up in scary alleys which were under construction, totally dark and looked like a scary place you never wanted to be, we even had to walk over elevated planks without railing....

We just kept on walking since we got lost totally and after some more directions from locals we finally got there.....

I had to laugh so much about it, it's a famous restaurant and nobody in that whole neighbourhood can give directions how to walk to it, even when we are very close cause we see it....

Yes, that's thailand...nothing more nothing less.

Edited by Thian

16 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

“If you run into <deleted> once in a while that’s normal. If you run into them everywhere you go, you’re probably an <deleted>.”

that's a great comment. the guy is obviously a knob. good he won't be back

Well this guy is obviously not used to Asian standards...he thinks everyhing here is the same as back in Europe which is sure not the case.

And even when 2 thai tell eachother the route it goes wrong all the time..if he stayed in the Lebua he probably is too hi-so for BKK and better goes to Singapore where they all speak english and know the roadmap...

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I agree about the not speaking english part....taxidrivers, staff in the big malls around Siam, the police in that area, the security...nobody can speak english while there are loads of foreigners around from all continents.

The rest of BKK also can't speak english but those tourists rarely go there....

Last week we went to a restaurant which is very highly mentioned at tripadvisor..

My wife told the taxi the name, he dropped us at a pier but there was no restaurant..we could see it over the water though, 10 meters away. So my wife asked some Thai how to get there....we followed the directions and couldn't find it....she asked again, we ended up in scary alleys which were under construction, totally dark and looked like a scary place you never wanted to be, we even had to walk over elevated planks without railing....

We just kept on walking since we got lost totally and after some more directions from locals we finally got there.....

I had to laugh so much about it, it's a famous restaurant and nobody in that whole neighbourhood can give directions how to walk to it, even when we are very close cause we see it....

Yes, that's thailand...nothing more nothing less.

Deserves you right if you believe in Trip Advisor

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/restaurants-bars/jaw-dropping-secret-behind-londons-top-rated-restaurant-on-trip-advisor/news-story/d8b0412c2e85da308bdbf7c0141d0932

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

“If you run into <deleted> once in a while that’s normal. If you run into them everywhere you go, you’re probably an <deleted>.”

that's a great comment. the guy is obviously a knob. good he won't be back

Happy you are a bit touchy today mate. Why is he a knob? He has the right to say how he feels does he not, well he does where he is but you do not here. For godsake do not talk about bags or your land up in the slammer. So if you criticize this country you are a Knob, some might think if you put up with it you are a (you finish it)

It's becoming like Magaluf, but less 'high-brow', and with more humidity. If you are a little bit refined, rather sensitive, and are not thick-skinned regarding blatant attempts to rip you off every two and half seconds, you are better off going somewhere else. Where? Well......, just about anywhere really.

I'm not impressed at all with entitled westerners who expect every country's inhabitants to speak English. I'm glad that they speak it as well as they do, since I speak no Thai and have no plans to learn. Some of his other observations were spot-on but his overall attitude seems unsuited for much travel outside English-speaking countries.

33 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I can totally understand him...nothing wrong with his story....think i'm getting used of all the Thainess...i don't even speak english to them anymore because i know i won't understand the answer at all if i ever get one.

And all the sex on the beach...well i guess he didn't get warned for that like i did 25 years ago..i didn't believe it though so i walked onto the beach at night, after 10 meters i already got 3 offers for a bj....5 meters further they were doing that already...so i walked back and never went to the beach again after dark..

He still was lucky he didn't meet the ladyboys..boy can they be annoying and agressive..

Even with my thai wife restaurants do everything wrong, i don't speak a word to them..

He even didn't see Thai digging their noses? or rude motocy drivers who push you off the sidewalk when they see a customer..he should come back for part 2, he missed a lot...

5 minutes ago, Jools said:

I'm not impressed at all with entitled westerners who expect every country's inhabitants to speak English. I'm glad that they speak it as well as they do, since I speak no Thai and have no plans to learn. Some of his other observations were spot-on but his overall attitude seems unsuited for much travel outside English-speaking countries.

I speak a little thai but when i do it they speak sooo much to me that i wished i never tried it.

But mostly there's an educated thai around who comes to help and she (always a she) speaks good english..unfortunately those educated persons never are the ones who work in shops or places for tourists.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I enjoy my life in Thailand. I've lived here for 13 years and I will die here (not for a while, I hope). There are plenty of great things about this country ...

But, if you read the article, not just the reactions to it, it's hard to deny the many truths in it.

Here is a short quote from the blog...

I think the reason why, and main underlying problem, is that Thailand sold out to tourism, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I just think that they did it far too hastily and now lacks the tourism infrastructure that's needed to host over 30 million tourists every year. 

Isn't that what the new Tourism Minister was saying recently, but in a more diplomatic way?

A few days ago I watched the James Bond movie; Man With The Golden Gun, with Roger Moore and Christopher Lee made in 1974. Hadn`t seen it for years and thought I`d enjoy watching the film again after so long. It was made in Thailand and the story mostly takes place in Thailand.

I was quite shocked how much this film tries to make the Thais look like simpletons and stupid. One of the main characters in the film describes the Thais as little brown pawny heads, whatever that means but sure it`s not meant to be complimentary. They chose the shortest, dumbest looking with funny fizzy hair very few Thai actors in the film that played mostly policeman given silly bit parts that was cringe worthy.

Many western films and write ups about Thailand based on western perceptions usually have a tone of arrogance and I am superior attitudes about them and why I no longer watch or read blogs on Thai themes.

15 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

A few days ago I watched the James Bond movie; Man With The Golden Gun, with Roger Moore and Christopher Lee made in 1974. Hadn`t seen it for years and thought I`d enjoy watching the film again after so long. It was made in Thailand and the story mostly takes place in Thailand.

I was quite shocked how much this film tries to make the Thais look like simpletons and stupid. One of the main characters in the film describes the Thais as little brown pawny heads, whatever that means but sure it`s not meant to be complimentary. They chose the shortest, dumbest looking with funny fizzy hair very few Thai actors in the film that played mostly policeman given silly bit parts that was cringe worthy.

Many western films and write ups about Thailand based on western perceptions usually have a tone of arrogance and I am superior attitudes about them and why I no longer watch or read blogs on Thai themes.

Today i drove behind 2 policemen one 1 big bike...first they got cut off badly by a car, didn't do anything....then 3 girls on a scooter (no helmet and far too young to drive) drove against traffic, the policemen even had to break for them...didn't do anything...then a minivan almost pushed them of the road, they had to break hard...didn't do anything....

I bet if someone made a movie about that it would be a big hit in the West....and i couldn't care anything...you may call me arrogant but it is what it is....how would you call slapstick moments like that?

To whiny, entitled tourists:

This is Thailand. A foreign country (!) Thai is the language spoken here. This is not England or Americuuhhh. Learn some Thai while visiting Thailand. It shows decency and respect. How many languages apart from your mother tongue do you speak? None, probably. And then I bet you can't even write your mother tongue properly and speak with a dodgy provincial accent.

Enjoy your stay in Thailand. And try not to make a fool of yourself.

It does surprise me... well it used to, how many Thai people that work in tourist or immigration jobs.. full time, for years on end, can not speak English.  I thought that would be a basic requirement of that job.

Maybe I will go and apply to be a German Language Translator... even though I can't speak any German........

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I enjoy my life in Thailand. I've lived here for 13 years and I will die here (not for a while, I hope). There are plenty of great things about this country ...

But, if you read the article, not just the reactions to it, it's hard to deny the many truths in it.

Here is a short quote from the blog...

Isn't that what the new Tourism Minister was saying recently, but in a more diplomatic way?

OK Legs tell me those good points and forget the weather that is boring, waiting in anticipation?