Me No Ingrish: Travel blogger’s offensive post generalizing Thais sparks conversation

snoop1130

4 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Most place as he is a looker, perhaps you are not and have to come here

I have lived here for many years does that answer your question, I get called Hamsun many times maybe I am a good looker ?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this guy religious sort? Some of the taxi drivers cant read or write and there not Bangkokers they don't know where any thing is give them a card in Thai with directions they just look at it wind the window down and ask directions. why would you expect them to talk English that's just arrogant. Why cant you speak Thai? Ask a Thai the way they wont tell you because 1 they cant speak English 2 they don't know where it is so they wont say anything because they don't want to loose face. Or give you wrong directions because they loose face if they have to admit  they don't know.

8 hours ago, chippendale said:

How many languages apart from your mother tongue do you speak? None, probably.

I sapee 4 languages good and nit noy thai krab....

I've travelled all over the world and had no issues at all by using english.

But if even taxidrivers can't speak english, don't know the roadmap and try to cheat me all the time you still expect me to show respect and decency?? Even on the Thai airports the staff can't speak english, also not in Paragon/Central World and so on....

I don't care though, still like to fly a lot and there are plenty places where they did get education and know how to be polite.

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

A few days ago I watched the James Bond movie; Man With The Golden Gun, with Roger Moore and Christopher Lee made in 1974. Hadn`t seen it for years and thought I`d enjoy watching the film again after so long. It was made in Thailand and the story mostly takes place in Thailand.

I was quite shocked how much this film tries to make the Thais look like simpletons and stupid. One of the main characters in the film describes the Thais as little brown pawny heads, whatever that means but sure it`s not meant to be complimentary. They chose the shortest, dumbest looking with funny fizzy hair very few Thai actors in the film that played mostly policeman given silly bit parts that was cringe worthy.

Many western films and write ups about Thailand based on western perceptions usually have a tone of arrogance and I am superior attitudes about them and why I no longer watch or read blogs on Thai themes.

Whilst I rather get your general point about these blogs, I think that the film does not set out to demean Thais, rather it is a product of it's time (1974) when frankly it was perfectly acceptable to poke fun at such racial stereotypes. Was not the character you quote a particularly grotesque parody of a policeman from the rural southern states of the USA?

I think that this is just a case of the wrong article being posted in the wrong place.

Most of us old dogs here know the place well enough but there is another side and it is this side that I can agree with.   As far as tourism is concerned I personally think this guy is spot on.  It is just that TV is not exactly the right place for tourism articles.

13 hours ago, Thian said:

I agree about the not speaking english part....taxidrivers, staff in the big malls around Siam, the police in that area, the security...nobody can speak english while there are loads of foreigners around from all continents.

You try walking off without paying and they will be fluent !

Yes there is a lack of english speaking, even in tourist areas; but sometimes i think about european countries if it's much better that people speak english fluently beside their mother language?????

And well as Thailand was never colonised, they are proud about it, but that makes missing european way of thinking, working, acting...and steps Thailand often behind many other asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore ect...

13 hours ago, Thian said:

I agree about the not speaking english part....taxidrivers, staff in the big malls around Siam, the police in that area, the security...nobody can speak english while there are loads of foreigners around from all continents.

The rest of BKK also can't speak english but those tourists rarely go there....

Last week we went to a restaurant which is very highly mentioned at tripadvisor..

My wife told the taxi the name, he dropped us at a pier but there was no restaurant..we could see it over the water though, 10 meters away. So my wife asked some Thai how to get there....we followed the directions and couldn't find it....she asked again, we ended up in scary alleys which were under construction, totally dark and looked like a scary place you never wanted to be, we even had to walk over elevated planks without railing....

We just kept on walking since we got lost totally and after some more directions from locals we finally got there.....

I had to laugh so much about it, it's a famous restaurant and nobody in that whole neighbourhood can give directions how to walk to it, even when we are very close cause we see it....

Yes, that's thailand...nothing more nothing less.

More reason to learn Thai.. I cannot imagine living here without knowing the language at the level that I do these days 

6. SPECIAL MASSAGE

One especially stuffy and humid evening, on which we couldn’t sleep, we decided to do an experiment with the ‘masseuses'. We walked past them hand in hand and not a single word was said to either of us. We walked around the block and then Marta walked 20m behind me. As I passed the place filled with brightly stained curtains they descended upon me. Alfred Hitchcock couldn’t have directed it better. Grabbing me, stroking me, running their hands through my hair whilst screeching “Me horn ee big boiii” “I wan u big banana” “Where u fom?” (I was a bit disappointed I didn’t hear the classic “me luv you long time”), spinning me around and pulling at my t-shirt, refusing to let me go until thankfully Marta came to my rescue. Consistent annoyance from prostitutes, taxi drivers, store owners, street food vendors, et cetera, made it really exhausting to enjoy anything. 

Hahaha

3 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

More reason to learn Thai.. I cannot imagine living here without knowing the language at the level that I do these days 

3 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

The guy was a tourist.

He gave his general impression of the place which left out-for some unaccountable reason-the infantile reactions of people who claimed to be in the country "long term"....

Hmm...a bit like the gov't, actually.

8 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

It does surprise me... well it used to, how many Thai people that work in tourist or immigration jobs.. full time, for years on end, can not speak English.  I thought that would be a basic requirement of that job.

Maybe I will go and apply to be a German Language Translator... even though I can't speak any German........

Many westerners working as tourist police volunteer do not speak Thai at all...I thought that would be a basic requirement of that job.:coffee1:

45 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

Someone tell him to stay away from China, Macau, Hong Kong and Japan as well..

Worth reading the original:
7 Reasons Why We Won't be Returning to Thailand

Japanese will even walk with you to get to your destination, they are extremely willing to help a foreigner.

And they will rather commit suicide than scamming a person.

And sex in public also is a no go for them.

I think you better remove Japan from your list. They even give you free wifi so you can use Google all day long, give you discount on the bullet trains, have tax free cash refund for tourists the same moment you buy.....they do it all perfect...

17 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Did you read this article posted by NCC1701A?

https://www.inafarawayland.com/2014/11/13/7-reasons-why-we-won-t-be-returning-to-thailand/

No. I read the op and the linked story. 

The guy comes across as a complete and utter **** in the linked story. 

Have now read it. 

Still feel the same, but would add “arrogant” to my description of him. 

Edited by Bluespunk

With the power of Google Maps and the power of Google translator right in my pocket there is no reason why you cannot find any place you want to go and there is no reason why we cannot communicate with people in their respective countries. I travel to so many countries and never had a problem finding anything or communicating as long as the other person is patient. Most local people from their respective countries enjoy talking to a foreigner and are glad to help however they can. I feel you create your own experience by your own personal attitude. A person's experience is a mirror over there attitude within. Everyone has had a few bad experiences including me but the trick is to exit from the situation and brush it off and keep a smile on your face. 

Firstly, I guess we all need to agree to disagree. This bloke may feel very entitled and have a high opinion of everything else and was probably benchmarking Thailand against some unrealistic standards - but that is his right and those are his opinions. Some of the things he said aren't exactly untrue, if I'm honest. To us, it is an adventure, to him it is unacceptable. For every person who loves Thailand, there will be someone who hates it, I guess. So be it. We can't please everyone. If he sticks to his words and don't come back, I think that's good too - less man more share. 

14 hours ago, Happy enough said:

“If you run into <deleted> once in a while that’s normal. If you run into them everywhere you go, you’re probably an <deleted>.”

that's a great comment. the guy is obviously a knob. good he won't be back

i like how my comment was edited for using a swear word despite being copy and pasted directly from the article 555

35 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Did you read this article posted by NCC1701A?

https://www.inafarawayland.com/2014/11/13/7-reasons-why-we-won-t-be-returning-to-thailand/

Yes:  "I consider us both to be seasoned travellers"

They're not, they've just done a lot of tourism.

"Tourists" are what they are and what they always will be.

There's a difference.

It doesn't matter how many, quote: "combi-tickets" you buy, or how many mini-bus tour trips you take to "off the beaten track" settlements, "attractions" and "sights".

Edited by Enoon

14 hours ago, Thian said:

Last week we went to a restaurant which is very highly mentioned at tripadvisor..

My wife told the taxi the name, he dropped us at a pier but there was no restaurant..we could see it over the water though, 10 meters away. So my wife asked some Thai how to get there....we followed the directions and couldn't find it....she asked again, we ended up in scary alleys which were under construction, totally dark and looked like a scary place you never wanted to be, we even had to walk over elevated planks without railing....

We just kept on walking since we got lost totally and after some more directions from locals we finally got there.....

I had to laugh so much about it, it's a famous restaurant and nobody in that whole neighbourhood can give directions how to walk to it, even when we are very close cause we see it....

Because it is a famous restaurant, I presume is not popular amongstthe poor locals ,hence no need to know about it at all ?

14 hours ago, Thian said:

Er, sorry.

So i'm a Thai on holiday in London, and complain that taxi drivers, mall staff and police can't/don't speak Thai???

Let's do the above with a German, French person or Italian who comes to London on holiday without being able to speak English....

And have a good moan that the taxi driver couldn't speak German, French or Italian...

Sheesh, some people...

Reminds me of an English guy in my local market town in Nakon Nowhere complaining about the lack of English speakers amongst the shop keepers. "They'd get so much more business".... Yeah right...

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Happy you are a bit touchy today mate. Why is he a knob? He has the right to say how he feels does he not, well he does where he is but you do not here. For godsake do not talk about bags or your land up in the slammer. So if you criticize this country you are a Knob, some might think if you put up with it you are a (you finish it)

you always have to attack me and the place you miss so dearly. when you're back. message me. i'll give you a hug ; )

yes, i think the guy is a knob. his comments about thailand were none sense as far as my experience goes

Edited by Happy enough

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, sorry.

So i'm a Thai on holiday in London, and complain that taxi drivers, mall staff and police can't/don't speak Thai???

Let's do the above with a German, French person or Italian who comes to London on holiday without being able to speak English....

And have a good moan that the taxi driver couldn't speak German, French or Italian...

Sheesh, some people...

Reminds me of an English guy in my local market town in Nakon Nowhere complaining about the lack of English speakers amongst the shop keepers. "They'd get so much more business".... Yeah right...

the french in my experience have no respect for you when ordering food if you don't at least try and speak french. which i thinks ok 

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

OK Legs tell me those good points and forget the weather that is boring, waiting in anticipation?

agree, i always hear that there are great things about thailand but nobody ever lists them.my list ,foods cheap, available women. thats about it.

36 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Yes:  "I consider us both to be seasoned travellers"

They're not, they've just done a lot of tourism.

"Tourists" are what they are and what they always will be.

There's a difference.

It doesn't matter how many, quote: "combi-tickets" you buy, or how many mini-bus tour trips you take to "off the beaten track" settlements, "attractions" and "sights".

The only difference between a tourist and an expat is that they have less time and are greenhorns. For the rest they are both Western.

And these tourists took the adventurous route by using a minivan to phi phi, nothing wrong with that...they better booked a flight though.

If you book a minivan to catch a boat  than that's what you should get...nothing more or less. 

And if you go to one of the highlights of Thailand (phi phi) you can expect a nice romantic tropical beach, not a darkroom where they all have sex in public.

I learned from his blog that phi phi is just a 2nd pattaya/phuket these days, didn't expect all those hookers on the beach there but if that's what you like that's fine with me. It just confirms the reputation thailand has overseas.

"Seasoned travelers"?

I didn't meet many of those in Isaan.Just a bunch of elderly Europeans and Antipodeans drinking themselves to death.Most had more than a touch of "The Doolally" and-much to my surprise-very few had ventured far from their homelands before.

The major problem appeared to be keeping "Le cafard" at bay.

What the guy said was eminently reasonable from a tourist point of view.

Edited by Odysseus123