Thai environmentalist warns of grim future if cap is not put on foreign tourists

rooster59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thairookie said:

Just ban Chinese tourists from China, and everything will be fine.

Airlines should be also allowed to ban Chinese tourists from China for the sake of safer air travel.  The Chinese government should introduce a pre-travel examinations for her citizens.  Only those who passed and received a certificate of travel ensuring that they will not force open the doors of the aircraft will be allowed to fly.

Better to ban the Chinese tourists from Thailand hmmm?

Ten years I lived in Hawaii, on three different islands and saw it go from an island paradise where there were mornings when you were the only one on the beach to seeing plastic bags wash ashore. I promise you Thailand will go through the same thing. Money!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

Ten years I lived in Hawaii, on three different islands and saw it go from an island paradise where there were mornings when you were the only one on the beach to seeing plastic bags wash ashore. I promise you Thailand will go through the same thing. Money!!!!!!!!!!

WILL go through the same thing?

tnews_1501491573_9687.jpg

Edited by sambum

10 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

That's right 'the same thing' did you read the article which talks about a negative impact on the resources? American English pal.

I think you misunderstood my take on your post, PAL - see above for negative impact on resources that is happening NOW - not WILL happen!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

How absolutely horrifying. I might prefer torture or captivity to spending time on that beach. Decades ago, my instincts and every other part of my being told me to avoid massive crowds like that one shown here. I am so grateful for that. When I was young I used to deliberately go to movies on a Friday opening night, to be around 2,000 people. That desire faded pretty early on. Now, I avoid crowds like the Spanish Flu. You would not be able to find me on a beach like that, for anything less than a payment to me of $5,000. And that would be only for an hour or so. That image is utterly unappealing on every level possible. I suppose the Chinese have learned to deal with the masses like that. Not this homey. No way on earth. 

Think that's bad? Try this for size: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/800153.shtml

30 minutes ago, sambum said:

I think you misunderstood my take on your post, PAL - see above for negative impact on resources that is happening NOW - not WILL happen!

If you read correctly I was writing in the past tense which means the impact had already happened. Never mind you don't get it.

20 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Think that's bad? Try this for size: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/800153.shtml

Hell on earth. And the Chinese hordes will bring the same with them anywhere, unless a cap is put on their numbers. 5 Chinese max per beach is my suggestion, followed by a China-free week. Surcharge 10000USD per head. That ought to do it.

During the last 10 years thailand has become a dumping place for mass tourism.

When you get off the beaten track (that we all know) you will hardly find a foreigner.

While that is where the interesting places are to be found.

Mass tourism has become a pest for the world.

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

If you read correctly I was writing in the past tense which means the impact had already happened. Never mind you don't get it.

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

Yes you  are quite right - I don't get it!

The way I read your post is that the past tense refers to the 10 years you spent in Hawaii, watching it deteriorate - because of MONEY!.

You then refer to the fact that the same thing will happen to Thailand because of MONEY! (Will happen means that it hasn't happened yet, so it is in the future tense, not in the past tense as you claim - at least that's what I was taught!)

I was trying to show you (even by example of pictures) that it has already happened - hence the question mark after "WILL?"

Never mind, you don't get it.

2 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Not to forget the Carib.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A leading Thai environmentalist believes that a cap should be put on foreign visitors to save some of Thailand's most idyllic tourist sights from inevitable destruction.

environmentalist versus military govt; any bets ?

13 hours ago, smedly said:

I think that if the tourists were aware of exactly what their day trip would be like to begin with they would avoid it.

The only research that most package deal tourists do is read the glossy brochures.  Their main concerns are the price and hotel facilities.  Independent tourists who read up and make all their own arrangements are still the minority.       When I listen to many friends talking about their holidays it is about the hotel facilities, the hotel food, the bar prices, shopping and entertainment rarely saying much about the country itself.  I suspect that many of these tourists are unaware of problems even after they visit.      Independent tourists are another matter and these will fade away more quickly as they go in search of the next "unspoilt" paradise. 

Has he also included the amount of rubbish, plastic bags, styrofoam trays, etc. that the locals throw away daily into his Doomsday calculations?

I'm all for saving the environment, but never blame others for your own f*** ups. You wanted the tourist dollars so badly you sold out not only your souls, culture and way of life but you also your environment. 

You reap what you sow. Live with it. 

14 hours ago, smedly said:

I think that if the tourists were aware of exactly what their day trip would be like to begin with they would avoid it.

I see no great pleasure in being jammed into an overcrowded  boat being ferried to an overcrowded beach to stand there with 1000 other people then shovelled back on the crowded boat as fast as possible............for what

It's exactly the same thing in pattaya only they are ferried around in a tour bus to some hyped up venue like the floating market which I personally find one of the most boring places in Thailand  

sounds like you don't like here.. 

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Bring you own recycled bottle of water to a restaurant. There are alot of things we can do to help preserve the nation.

Why not make water from the tap drinkable? I drink it all day for a decade now. Buy a good waterpurifier with UV-light and drink it. Also restaurants can do that if only we can trust them that the waterpurifier is maintained well, they can hire a company for that.

Edited by Thian

Twenty years ago, the Chinese, Indians, and Russians were too poor to travel overseas. Thailand, and pattaya in particular, were visited by people from western advanced democracies which all share a similar level of cleanliness, politeness, awareness and respect for others, and a general avoidance of being an a$$hole to others. It was really a different place, and much nicer.

Now, you have Chinese hoards of hundreds following the leader holding a flag, numb-brained following that flag much like they did during war, staring and pointing and snapping pictures in walking street like they were on a Disneyland ride, completely unaware that everyone around them is actually a living person.

Walk down Beach Road where they are screaming at each others' faces in conversation completely blocking the path, completely oblivious to anyone other than another spitting, screaming, filthy, trash-tossing, Han Chinese.

And there are now millions of them.

You think they won't come because of deadly lack road safety or pollution?! They love that sh!t.

17 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

By my maths 9000 per day times 365 is just over 3 millions a 6 million cap is not going to reduce things.

after awhile you learn to just ignore the numbers in a Thai report, they are never correct...never!

This has been evident for some time , I dont even attempt to visit old favourites such as Wat Pho any more because its akin to fighting your way out of a giant scrum. A couple of years ago , after TAT boasted of another zillion percent increase in tourists , I warned that there would be a price to pay and used Spain as an example of visitors becoming fed up and going elsewhere. Of course the only reaction I got was being called a Thai basher , perhaps even the fan boyz will now get the message.

lets not forget that "we" in the west and pretty much the rest of the world have had freedom of movement to go just about go where ever we like for a very long time, Chinese people are very new to holiday travel outside of China and IMO are being exploited in Thailand, their naivety is being prayed upon

I wonder how many of them go home thinking - what was that all about, well I got a ride in an airplane for the first time and travelled on a luxury bus and got to go on a boat

Exploitation on mass, don't get me wrong I think it is cool that these oppressed people get the opportunity to travel, but they are seriously being (deleted) over big time