Video: Coke truck piles into police checkpoint as driver claims "brake failure"

rooster59

11 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Because the brake lights work doesn't mean the brakes work!

Praireboy, we will be kind to the driver about his speed here in this exercise for you.

1: You have a truck that weighs 42 tonne and he is traveling at 60kph how far does he travel when he applies the brakes and the brakes work?

2: you have a truck that weighs 42 tonne and he is traveling at 60kph how far does he travel when he applies the brakes and the brakes do not work?

Now have a good look and a good think at where he applied the brakes and where he stopped.

On 04/02/2018 at 3:55 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps Dipstick & Prairieboy, you could explain how the brake lights came on just a split second before the impact and not much earlier.

Perhaps the brake lights didn't work - perhaps there was a loose wire - perhaps the diver was texting - perhaps he was masturbating or otherwise distracted - perhaps he was asleep and woke up 1 second before impact - any scenario is possible - my original statement included.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, DipStick said:

Oh dear wrong time of the month ? Menopause ? If you read what I said, perhaps you would understand ! The OP stated that it couldn't have been brake failure as he noted the brake lights illuminating, I merely suggested that brake lights do not indicate the brakes actually working. got it now or would you prefer another explanation.. I personally have no idea if the brakes worked or not and I am not trying to argue for or against.

And yes I was involved with vehicles, both commissioning and training, such as these

IMG_0371.JPG

If you personally have no idea whether the brakes worked or not, I suggest you watch the video more closely.

The brake lights come on just as the front of the truck hits the barrier. They remain on thereafter and the vehicle comes to a halt in two to three truck lengths.

In the follow up sequence, as the cam car passes the truck, the tyre scuffs are clearly visible on the road surface.

No, definitely not a brake failure.

Doubt if brake failure was the reason for the failure to brake in time.  Most multinational companies properly maintain their vehicles.  Maybe the police, if they are up to it, should review the maintenance records and reports.  That would scotch the brake failure claimed by the driver.

All you people getting riled up about dogs and homework. It's simply a case of linguistic ambiguity. Even I, who speaks no Thai, can suss that out. Obviously in Thai there is no distinction between "brake failure" and "failure to brake". As long as the brakes are used, even if used "too late", clearly the brakes failed to stop the vehicle quickly enough (i.e. instantaneously), so that's the whole story, full stop.  :sorry: