What antivirus for 2018 internet security

canuckamuck

1 hour ago, William T said:

I have Win Defender AV  but a friend also installed Avast.

I don't like it. It keeps telling me that they have protected me for two items but i have three 'problems' and they want me to click Resolve to fix them But one of these is Weak Passwords and  I don't want them Resolving my passwords (and how do they know i have weak passwords ; none of their business) so i cannot resolve the other two . It is the three or nothing. Stupid!

Also i got  a warning that thousands of virus's are threatening my Computer and to get a trial version of their paid version. I thought OK I will try it but after registering  (name. email address etc) they wanted my Credit Card details. No way .

I am thinking on deleting it. Should I?.

You should delete it and perhaps get something that catches all? I just don't like it when I need a special program to uninstall an Antivirus software. I had the problem with AVG and Avast, free versions. 

Here are some free ones: https://www.thebalance.com/best-free-antivirus-1356634

Viruses are old fashion way since it depends on fake downloaded software, I think malicious website intrusion is the newer way to get into PCs.   I preferably use Malwarebytes premium on windows 10 to block every suspicious incoming inbound or outbound attempt.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Different said:

Viruses are old fashion way since it depends on fake downloaded software, I think malicious website intrusion is the newer way to get into PCs.   I preferably use Malwarebytes premium on windows 10 to block every suspicious incoming inbound or outbound attempt.

That is incorrect. Viruses are transferred with emails, when people download (legal) software, when people exchange files from one company to another company or private, with USB sticks, etc. Lots of viruses are active "in the wild" and every day new viruses are invented.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is incorrect. Viruses are transferred with emails, when people download (legal) software, when people exchange files from one company to another company or private, with USB sticks, etc. Lots of viruses are active "in the wild" and every day new viruses are invented.

.......new viruses are invented by AV companies. A good AV program warns you and doesn't let you on unsafe websites. One more for Kaspersky.

12 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

.......new viruses are invented by AV companies. A good AV program warns you and doesn't let you on unsafe websites. One more for Kaspersky.

True websites and what ever local threat would cause a problem when clicked for Malwarebytes premium.

57 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Do you ever get files from other people per email or memory stick? They might contain viruses and no protection against unsafe websites can protect you against something like that.

And about unsafe websites: Recently I read an article in a computer magazine that a computer company had a virus in their official products on their official website. Someone hacked it and out it there.

Another problem are brand new viruses. If a virus is invented by a hacker it takes time (maybe minutes or hours) before the AV companies know about this virus. And it takes time before the AV companies update their anti-virus definitions to detect these viruses. That is the most critical time when the viruses spread very fast and there is little protection again them at that time.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

@Different It seems you are confused about my comment. If something is unclear let me know. I try to explain it to you. Or just google it...

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

The info in your post is a year old. Many unbiased sites...including PC Mag...list it not only in the top 10, but #1 for 2018. 

Okay, fair. I've just stopped using Avast when all these A virus has been detected attacks started..sorry, I really didn't mean to badmouth your program. Cheers-

P.S. I bought a few Kaspersky licenses of E bay for around 200 baht, good for one year. Why not having full protection if it isn't expensive at all? When it comes to security i don't mind to pay a few baht....free programs never have full protection and I doubt that your AV system protects you when you're on an online banking site...

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

[mention=10408]canuckamuck[/mention]

Which operating system are you using?

If it's Windows 10, it's nowadays thought that Windows Defender is more than adequate, with Malwarebytes (paid version, $30/year) for PUPs, ransomeware, zero-day exploits and rootkits.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/
Exactly.

Windows Defender is as good as any of the others and doesn't slow your PC down or prevent legitimate programs running.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

• Like 2

I use Emsisoft on the computers I use,nothing has gotten through

in 8 years,then again i don't go to dodgy sites*,or click everything,

there is also a discount for Thai users,so a double pricing thing in

our favour.

regards worgeordie       * except TV :sleep:

I meant over the years of using it on multiple laptops and desktops, at times I've had to uninstall it because I didn't deselect all the features before installing it.  I also support a lot of people and two organization so I have done more Windows installs than I care to count. 

It's not my job, I just help out and volunteer sometimes.   I'm a 'retired' programmer although about to start my first foray into Android app development for fun.