What antivirus for 2018 internet security

canuckamuck

I'm happy enough with Kaspersky, I don't think there's any secrets on my computers the Russians would be interested in. If I did change I'd probably go back to ESET NOD32, though for the tin foil hat brigade that's probably no good as it's a Slovak company (former Soviet Blok country).

But what are the options for the paranoid?

Avast - Czech
AVG - Czech
Avira - Germany
Bitdefender - Romania
Comodo - UK
ESET - Slovak
Kaspersky - Russian
McAfee - USA
Panda - Spain
Symantec - USA

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

"Tinfoil Hat Brigade" ah that brings back memories, some excellent spoofs ( music /animation ) on youtube.

Have been using Kaspersky for some years too.    Trying out the paid for version of Total Security - if you go that way make sure to buy the full package rather than Internet Security and then the top up, it took me over a month to sort out various issues.

VPN ( unlimited ) is ok but need to keep a note of which country works with which site you are trying to watch.

Has dropped out a few times when automatically changing VPN but that could be the generally poor service in my area.

Local wi-fi and power trips can be common especially in very dry winter with strong winds as this winter.

A further issue is that if I do not run VPN as soon as laptop has loaded up, e.g..leaving log on for 30 minutes or so will necessitate computer re-start then log on.    Not sure if this is my machine ?

Download speed slower with VPN most times but have had some very fast downloads.

Some of the Kaspersky VPN,s are ex Soviet block.

Attached a funny Tinhat video, other songs that mention tinhat are those by Todd-Rundgren and Scott Dunbar.

the tinfoil hat song.mp4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyingdoc said:

Avast is good, even with the free version.  No problems.

In my experience the problem with free anti-virus software are often the frequent annoying messages which tell us how much better it would be if we would have the full version. As far as I know the only exception to that rule is the free anti virus Windows Defender which is build in in Windows and does the job alright.

15 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

in ALL international tests: AVAST is the best

And ALL experts will tell you there is no 100% protection from any anti-virus product.

If people don't have to regularly open files from unknown sources then the best anti-virus protection is keeping your eyes open and thinking before clicking on anything.

Many viruses are distributed with emails and people don't get infected if they don't open these emails. Some more viruses get into the computer because people click on those "make my PC faster" buttons.

And then there is the malware which uses security holes which are no holes anymore for people who regular update all their software like Windows, Acrobat, Java, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tapster said:

@canuckamuck

Which operating system are you using?

If it's Windows 10, it's nowadays thought that Windows Defender is more than adequate, with Malwarebytes (paid version, $30/year) for PUPs, ransomeware, zero-day exploits and rootkits.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

8.1 because I didn't feel like adding to the spyware we already deal with. However, it might be time.

3 hours ago, Tapster said:

@canuckamuck

Which operating system are you using?

If it's Windows 10, it's nowadays thought that Windows Defender is more than adequate, with Malwarebytes (paid version, $30/year) for PUPs, ransomeware, zero-day exploits and rootkits.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

Yes, I agree. Windows Defender for Windows 10 seems adequate, plus paid Malwarebytes which does stop malware from dodgy web sites. I also use free Spybot and do a manual scan which picks up more stuff. 

I used to use free Avast but I no longer think it necessary with Windows Defender.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, connda said:

Kaspersky and I'll stick with them. 

On 10/9/2017 at 2:25 PM, connda said:

I've ditched Microsoft Windows and have moved to Linux. . . . I have a need to maintain a copy of Windows to run a couple of legacy programs that will not run via WINE . . . I keep it sandboxed in a Virtual Machine.

I’ve used The free Comodo Internet Security for many years.

Easy to block programs from accessing the Internet.

If it finds a dodgy file, easy to approve or remove it.

It offers a free for a while geek assistant to help you clean your computer but that can be uninstalled.

I agree with onemorefarang, being careful how you browse the Internet or how you handle unsolicited email is critical to your computers health.

Windows 10 has a wonderful feature since the "Fall Creators Update" from end of last year.

The update allows only approved programs (i.e. Word, Excel) access to certain folders like My Documents.

Even brand new and to AV-Programs unknown Ransomware won't be able to encrypt these files anymore. I think this is a great update - and long overdue.

That is definitely a good reason to update to Windows 10 from earlier Windows versions

(Yes, Linux doesn't need such protection but most people don't want to change to Linux for various reasons)

• Like 1

@canuckamuck

I hung onto XP until a year after support ended.

Then it was win 8.1, which I made look and work almost exactly like XP, using Classic Shell    http://www.classicshell.net/

Then Windows 10, as they were pushing it and there's really no good reason not to keep up.

I now have windows 10, with the minimum of info going to Microsoft, but also allowing automatic updates. Hell, MS aren't that evil!

Now loving Win 10, with Classic shell. Same feel as of old with all the new shit as well!

You'll probably like it after a short time.

:smile:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, laislica said:

I’ve used The free Comodo Internet Security for many years.

Easy to block programs from accessing the Internet.

If it finds a dodgy file, easy to approve or remove it.

It offers a free for a while geek assistant to help you clean your computer but that can be uninstalled.

I agree with onemorefarang, being careful how you browse the Internet or how you handle unsolicited email is critical to your computers health.

I looked at lots of computers with firewall software which lets users block programs. The problem is that most users have no clue if i.e. svchost.exe should be allowed to use the internet or not. Often people just click yes to recommendations from such a program without knowing which program is really connecting to the internet. Even for computer experts it's not easy to find all the details.

For that reason I recommend for almost all people the build in Windows firewall. It does the job fine 99% and it does normally not ask users about their opinion. And that makes it better for most users who just don't know and just want to use their PC.

28 minutes ago, William T said:

I have Win Defender AV  but a friend also installed Avast.

I don't like it. It keeps telling me that they have protected me for two items but i have three 'problems' and they want me to click Resolve to fix them But one of these is Weak Passwords and  I don't want them Resolving my passwords (and how do they know i have weak passwords ; none of their business) so i cannot resolve the other two . It is the three or nothing. Stupid!

Also i got  a warning that thousands of virus's are threatening my Computer and to get a trial version of their paid version. I thought OK I will try it but after registering  (name. email address etc) they wanted my Credit Card details. No way .

I am thinking on deleting it. Should I?.

I recommend you delete it. Because the extra features of that program give you extra headache - definitely not what you want.

8 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@canuckamuck

I hung onto XP until a year after support ended.

Then it was win 8.1, which I made look and work almost exactly like XP, using Classic Shell    http://www.classicshell.net/

Then Windows 10, as they were pushing it and there's really no good reason not to keep up.

I now have windows 10, with the minimum of info going to Microsoft, but also allowing automatic updates. Hell, MS aren't that evil!

Now loving Win 10, with Classic shell. Same feel as of old with all the new shit as well!

You'll probably like it after a short time.

:smile:

Did you try Windows 10 with the Windows 10 GUI - and not the old shell?

I installed Windows 10 first only on a few PCs to look how the users reacted. All of them liked it so after a while I installed it (without changes) on many PC. I never had a user complaining that they want their old Windows back.

I looked at lots of computers with firewall software which lets users block programs. The problem is that most users have no clue if i.e. svchost.exe should be allowed to use the internet or not. Often people just click yes to recommendations from such a program without knowing which program is really connecting to the internet. Even for computer experts it's not easy to find all the details.
For that reason I recommend for almost all people the build in Windows firewall. It does the job fine 99% and it does normally not ask users about their opinion. And that makes it better for most users who just don't know and just want to use their PC.

Understood, but hee hee

I have some purchased apps that have a yearly license and I never want to update them. If I don’t block their access to the Internet I get bombarded with, there is a new version etc.
I can continue to use the ver I have a licence for, for ever.
Some apps get updated, just because they can!
Not for the better sometimes.......
I never used Defender, can it easily do that?

6 minutes ago, laislica said:

Understood, but hee hee

I have some purchased apps that have a yearly license and I never want to update them. If I don’t block their access to the Internet I get bombarded with, there is a new version etc.
I can continue to use the ver I have a licence for, for ever.
Some apps get updated, just because they can!
Not for the better sometimes.......
I never used Defender, can it easily do that?

I have to admit I don't know how easy it is to block programs. I did this some time ago in the past but not recently with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Personally I wouldn't block even the annoying programs. Because sometime they have minor updates which are necessary to keep them secure. Adobe Acrobat is such an example. Lots of versions have security bugs and it's a good idea to install all the updates so that hackers can't exploit known security risks.

@OneMoreFarang

I wanted to retain Quick Launch.

I don't want libraries, store or anything pinned to my taskbar.

I prefer a Start Menu with programs on the left and useful links to things like network, printers, control panel, on the right.

I don't want live tiles.

I guess I don't like the bells and whistles which come with windows 10. They are often innovation for its own sake.

I like a simpler and more workmanlike approach.

Each to his own, I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@OneMoreFarang

I wanted to retain Quick Launch.

I don't want libraries, store or anything pinned to my taskbar.

I prefer a Start Menu with programs on the left and useful links to things like network, printers, control panel, on the right.

I don't want live tiles.

I guess I don't like the bells and whistles which come with windows 10. They are often innovation for its own sake.

I like a simpler and more workmanlike approach.

Each to his own, I guess.

Do you know that you can easily customize that taskbar to show exactly what you want? Most of the time a right click is all you need.

I think it's a nice feature that some icons (you chose which) are always on the same position independent if you use the program currently or not. And I like the recent files and pinned files for these icons. That makes it real easy to access many often used documents without having icons for each individual document.

I have to admit I don't know how easy it is to block programs. I did this some time ago in the past but not recently with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
Personally I wouldn't block even the annoying programs. Because sometime they have minor updates which are necessary to keep them secure. Adobe Acrobat is such an example. Lots of versions have security bugs and it's a good idea to install all the updates so that hackers can't exploit known security risks.

Of course I allow auto update for apps like you mention.
I think u may have missed my point.
I want to easily block some apps from ever offering updates I never want. Why, cos what I have is super, just as it is!
Comodo CIS lets me do that easily.

+ 1 Kaspersky Internet security. There're more reasons for it. Kaspersy automatically switches onto "safe mode" when on banking, PayPal, E-Bay, etc..

I've bought a couple of licenses of E Bay, some had to be activated with a VPN, because they'd only work in Aussie land. But no problem once activated. 

I've tried a lot of them and it seems that Windows tools aren't enough, of course depending on your surfing behavior.

On E-bay you can buy a license for around 200 baht for a whole year of protection, just saying. Avast with its "A virus has been detected" is not as good as Kaspersky in my opinion. 

Edited by jenny2017