Stolen PP Chiang Mai UK Citizen

Hi

Recently had my passport stolen in chiang mai 4 days into my 30 day visa on arrival - I have reported it to the police and my understanding is I now have to go to Bangkok to get a Emergency travel document.

I have not booked my flight back to the UK yet and need to know would it be possible to book it for 3 weeks from now?

Also I stupidly did not have copies of my passport - am I royally screwed?

My understanding is I need a edt then I need to transfer my existing 30 days into that is that right?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by trickledown

In a few weeks would be OK but to long or they might want you to apply for a new passport instead of the ETD.

If you can show a photo ID and the police report for the lost passport you should be able to check into a hotel.

Also you'll need to go the embassy in BKK to collect the ETD; though I think you can apply on line. You may have to book an appointment to collect the ETD so I would suggest you act now. You may also need to attend an immigration office to get a replacement entry stamp put in your EDT. The whole  process can be quite a rigmarole.

Edited by gerryBScot

17 minutes ago, trickledown said:

so it would be ok if the flight is a few weeks from now?

Also when booking hotels how would I go about it? 

If you already have a return ticket that will do. The ETD will have the details of the journey specified in it.

Something on the lines of 'issued for a one way journey BKK to London on xx/xx/2018' Any change will require a new ETD ( 5500 babt I think )

Also issued to replace PP No xxxxxxxxxx reported lost.

I am not sure if an exit permission stamp from Thai Imm' in Chiang Mai is required but you will need a copy of the police report as well.

Edited by overherebc

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In a few weeks would be OK but to long or they might want you to apply for a new passport instead of the ETD.

If you can show a photo ID and the police report for the lost passport you should be able to check into a hotel.

hmm cant apply for a passport as he wont have any proof of residence ?

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What is that? There no permission needed to leave the country.

On the Embassy website is states 

You may need an exit visa.??

In the link you posted.

When I got my ETD it was because my passport was full and the Embassy staff told me it was essential to carry the old passport to prove I had entered Thailand legally.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You may need an exit visa.??

I don't what they are are writing about since a exit visa does not exist.

Perhaps they mean getting the most recent entry/admitted until and/or a extension stamp reestablished in the ETD.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't what they are are writing about since a exit visa does not exist.

Perhaps they mean getting the most recent entry/admitted until and/or a extension stamp reestablished in the ETD.

Most likely.

If there is nothing in the ETD that shows when you entered Thailand and you leave at the airport and Imm' just stamped you out then overstayers would have a free ticket, wouldn't they.

So something has to be stamped in the ETD to show that you legally entered Thailand in the first place.

So a visit to your local Imm' office with the ETD/police report and lost/stolen passport number would save time at the airport on the way out.

Edited by overherebc
  • Confused 1

I had mine stolen a couple of years back. The brit embassy arent v helpful and their website opening times are easy to miss. You need to be there early, as they close the section you need to use at 11am! (Not 1pm). So you may need 2 visits and the emergency passport is quite expensive. After this you also need to renew your visa. So a trip to whatever visa office it was(TV member will chime in) takes half a day. Get there early too. Pita!

Oh, and when i got back to blighty, my emergency passport was just taken off me without any explanation. Which is a pain if you need to go to the bank to replace cards etc. Photocopy it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Will E Vormer said:

I had mine stolen a couple of years back. The brit embassy arent v helpful and their website opening times are easy to miss. You need to be there early, as they close the section you need to use at 11am! (Not 1pm). So you may need 2 visits and the emergency passport is quite expensive. After this you also need to renew your visa. So a trip to whatever visa office it was(TV member will chime in) takes half a day. Get there early too. Pita!

Oh, and when i got back to blighty, my emergency passport was just taken off me without any explanation. Which is a pain if you need to go to the bank to replace cards etc. Photocopy it.

From memory it was 5,500 baht.

1 hour ago, johnmell said:

Out of interest how was it stolen.Might help others prevent it happening to them.

Bag snatch, pickpocket, in a bar, in a restaurant, walking down the street, in a shop, fell out back pocket picked up and not handed in.

Pick one and post preventative measures. ???, or add your own.

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

Most likely.

If there is nothing in the ETD that shows when you entered Thailand and you leave at the airport and Imm' just stamped you out then overstayers would have a free ticket, wouldn't they.

So something has to be stamped in the ETD to show that you legally entered Thailand in the first place.

So a visit to your local Imm' office with the ETD/police report and lost/stolen passport number would save time at the airport on the way out.

Briggsy.

Don't know why you say confused. If you turn up at the airport with an ETD that has no Thai stamps in it my guess is you will be taken to another office where they will check everything on the computer to find out when you entered Thailand. 

Throw in some 'ifs,' if you are delayed on the way to the airport, if the IO hasn't seen an ETD before ( yellow colour passport size with about 8 pages ) if you don't want or need any stress at the airport!!!

Go to your local Imm' office and get your ducks in a row when time is not a critical factor.

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Did you do that at your local Imm' office or the main place in BKK?

it was in 2014 and Chaeng Wattana, which was my local immigration office, was closed due to protests at a nearby court, so I had to go to Imperial Plaza which was hell; it was the first day open after Songkran on top of that.

I did not need to show the police declaration at exit Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by orchis
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, orchis said:

it was in 2014 and Chaeng Wattana, which was my local immigration office, was closed due to protests at a nearby court, so I had to go to Imperial Plaza which was hell, it was the first day open after Songkran on top of that.

I did not need to show the police declaration at exit Suvarnabhumi.

I had applied for a new PP and was waiting for it to arrive here when I got a call to go to a meeting overseas a week later. I was unsure if the new PP would arrive in time so got an ETD in case. When the embassy issued the ETD they cut the corner off my old passport that still had a valid visa in so I had no need to get anything stamped in the ETD.

My new passport arrived the day before I was due to fly so I never used it, ( ETD ) just used the old and new PP's on the way out.

Edit.

Would be nice if after Brexit we could change the PP to the same colour as the ETD. Nice golden yellow with the gold crest on the front. ?

20180204_162819.jpg

Edited by overherebc

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

Bag snatch, pickpocket, in a bar, in a restaurant, walking down the street, in a shop, fell out back pocket picked up and not handed in.

Pick one and post preventative measures. ???, or add your own.

Leave it in the hotel safe or deposit box?

And take a photo of it with your phone before you do..

13 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

Mine was a whack on the head from a bag grabbing motorbike thief. I was drunk and in a quiet soi at night in Thong lor.

I still go out at night, drink alot, visit Thonglor and walk down quiet soi's.
Just not at the same time.

One can drink a lot in their home or condo in reasonable safety. Elsewhere, it's an invitation.

32 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

In 50 years of travelling to more than 20 countries and living in half of them, never had a passport damaged, lost or stolen. Am I doing something wrong. It is not my property so I take care of it.

Some have had hotel room safes broken into and PP's money etc stolen.

Some have had PP's 'stolen' when on overstay looking for a way out!!

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Some have had hotel room safes broken into and PP's money etc stolen.

Some have had PP's 'stolen' when on overstay looking for a way out!!

Hotel safes are not safe. Years ago the only safe place was my crotch, in plastic, sweaty but not smelly.

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Hotel safes are not safe. Years ago the only safe place was my crotch, in plastic, sweaty but not smelly.

As we know, land borders are one of the places where we need to be especially careful. I have visions of you reaching down and pulling your passport out as you walk up to the immigration window. It is not a pretty picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1