Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

webfact

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

But not one of the by-standers bothered to even approach the woman to see if she was alright or try to comfort her in any way. They seemed more interested in the damage to the vehicle.

Actually the cameraman and the motorbiketaxi guy go to her first and stay around her the whole time, I think they have both seen this sort of thing a lot and the reason they don’t touch her is because they know they might make it worse if they do! Anything can kill her at this point if the right first aid is not implemented just turning her over could paradise her for life or kill her in many ways depending on her injuries! 

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Glad that the nurse made it; the Nissan driver should be locked up for quite some time, settle the hospital bill and a tidy amount and never allowed ever to sit behind a steering wheel. 

Even if the brakes "failed" I could not hear the horn or anything. Jeeezzzz! 

Could you see the car come to an abrupt halt?

Not a difficult solution, especially in Thailand. In Florida this would be considered reckless driving, speeding or both. Reckless driving the ticket would be THB$ 57000

speeding 27,000. Insurance would go up 50% and you would get 3 points against your license. This might get more than a few morons to wake up.

Saw a accident a few weeks back where a motor bike rider was thrown  some distance.

But in this case it was brain failure, or lack of them, guy on very noisy bike, bombs up the road, two minutes later comes back the other way saw him come back down the road at speed, overtakes a car on the zigzag of a pedestrian crossing ,  totally on the wrong side of the road smashes into the front of an oncoming car, saw him flying though the air and was surprised he was still alive, not sure if he made it to hospital alive as apart from multiple fractures I would suspect serious internal injuries. 

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Probably busy playing with her phone instead of looking at the street, as soon as she hit the motorbike the brakes seemed to work.

Exactly, brakes worked fine when she got to them.

Lie first, blame something else than oneself.

Not paying attention.

• Like 1

Complete ignorance all round.  Brakes worked, car driver didn't.  By-standers remained just that - they stood by and did next to <deleted> all.  Pathetic!  Lack of education, coupled with bad culture cause this,  Person filming even captures the victim moving her leg, yet nobody reacts!  Disgraceful!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cookieqw said:

They line up across all lanes as being at the front is safer, they’re off quick and only just get caught by the cars at the next lights, that to me is safe use of road

really ? first tell that to the young lady and 2nd you need a refresher course in road safety.

14 hours ago, Russell17au said:

So it is the bike riders fault because she is stopped in the left hand lane? Rubbish! SunsetT

i know its not the bike riders fault at all but why was she not nearer the curb side ? in the uk we are taught slower moving traffic keeps to the left in Thailand all these bikes seem to want to be in the fast lanes all the time, i see them on the Sukumvite daily. being in the middle of the road is asking for trouble with these people behind the wheel. posted before.

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

But how do you educate the old drivers that are already set in their own ways.

Agreed that teaching the older generation cannot be achieved, however, it is not an excuse, the Government NEEDS to start educating the young now, it has to start sometime and it will take years to filter through, road safety has been discussed on TVF thousands of times and I think we all agree that it is a combination of a lot of things, not just one or two, that WILL eventually makes the difference, unfortunately Thailand currently doesn't do anything except let people die needlessly in incidents.

Enforcement is one of the ways, the trouble is that the open corruption and lack of enforcement has most of the population believing that they can do pretty much anything they want, they have a disdain for the law that is deeply ingrained and it is not just on the roads.

This morning I watched the full length video of this incident (not calling it an accident, coz it was totally avoidable) and this video goes a long way to showing why the young lady nurse was positioned where she was, bearing in mind Thai culture and fear of uniforms, the car that was beside her had only just pulled up at the lights and as mentioned by others, the policeman was trying to cadge cash of the young boys.

I have the link to this, not sure if it would be allowed to post on here, or fair on her Stepdad either.

I was very glad to read from the lady's stepdad that she is not too seriously hurt and do hope that her recovery is quick and full.

IMHO one of the probable reasons that the road death statistics are going up is the use of mobile devices whilst driving / riding, you will see the use of these constantly whilst traveling on the roads here, even on the motorway etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

i know its not the bike riders fault at all but why was she not nearer the curb side ? in the uk we are taught slower moving traffic keeps to the left in Thailand all these bikes seem to want to be in the fast lanes all the time, i see them on the Sukumvite daily. being in the middle of the road is asking for trouble with these people behind the wheel. posted before.

We are not in the UK or any other country so the laws of the UK have nothing to do with the Laws here. For a starter she was in the left hand lane not the fast lane, which is all she had to be in, there is NO law that states she must be in the left side of the left lane. Have a good look at the video and if she had been in the left side of the left lane as you wanted her to be, she would be dead. By being where she was saved her life because if you have a look at the video where the car stops is along side 2 poles, now have a look at where the girl is laying, now remember she was in the right hand side of the left lane, now move her to the left of the car and she would have hit one of those poles or the curb.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FarangJon said:

I am shocked man.

Thats what its called first aid in Thailand.

Just do nothing and let her die.

The best thing for them to do was not to touch her unless they were trained and qualified in first aid otherwise they could do more damage to her and even kill her. Same as in Australia not everybody has first aid training. Do you have your first aid certificate?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Boedog said:

<deleted> Check see if the cars ok dont help the poor woman whos on the ground, thai mentality, lm a first responder in first aid duty of care you must help but not in this country, life is worth nothing

It is alright to critisize but as a first responder you should know that if you are not first aid trained or qualified then it is better if you do not touch the injured person because you could make their condition worse. All members of any volunteer rescue associations are trained and certified first responders

1 minute ago, Stoker58 said:

To all the first aid experts here, the first thing you do with a casualty like this is talk to them to check if they're conscious. If they're not responsive you check for breathing and circulation, because if they're not breathing and/or don't have a pulse then any spinal injuries they might have just aren't going to matter.

The big problem is that the majority of the public do not know how to do this and they have a natural instinct to try and move the person. Many people do not know where to check for the pulse and how to check and many make the mistake of using their thumb. This was proved in a place called Gosford in NSW, Australia where a medical dummy was set up in a shopping centre by members of the local rescue squad and the Gosford hospital for the general public to show their knowledge of how to help a family member in a collapse in their home and two of the things was to take the pulse of the person and to check the persons breathing. The majority of general public did not know how to perform these two simple tasks, they did not know how to check a persons pulse and they did not know how to check if a person was breathing and this is in a country that is classed as a first world country.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dinooz57 said:

I understand the ramifications of moving an injured person but just to have another human sit beside you and assure you everything will be ok and help is on its way or even to lay a blanket or jacket on her and at least show some compassion.

First of all, I am sincerely glad that she is making a good recovery.

I totally agree with your comment above, I must admit that some comments in that regard on here are amazing, from the videos that I have seen, nobody appeared to show her any compassion whatsoever and it was absolutely nothing to do with them worried about moving her, half of them wouldn't have a clue about that part.

I find that difficult to understand, as a human being.

• Like 1

Thank you for the update on your step-daughter and it is great to see her improving.

As much as I agree with this part of your post about no one comforting her at the scene.

"I understand the ramifications of moving an injured person but just to have another human sit beside you and assure you everything will be ok and help is on its way or even to lay a blanket or jacket on her and at least show some compassion."

This is something that is quite common, we call it the "shock syndrome" because you would be surprised at how many accidents that I attended where the people just stood around and did nothing in the way of comforting the injured and that was in Australia, they seem to be in a world of disbelief and they just cannot do anything.

Keep the chin up mate, she will be fine

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Thank you for the update on your step-daughter and it is great to see her improving.

As much as I agree with this part of your post about no one comforting her at the scene.

"I understand the ramifications of moving an injured person but just to have another human sit beside you and assure you everything will be ok and help is on its way or even to lay a blanket or jacket on her and at least show some compassion."

This is something that is quite common, we call it the "shock syndrome" because you would be surprised at how many accidents that I attended where the people just stood around and did nothing in the way of comforting the injured and that was in Australia, they seem to be in a world of disbelief and they just cannot do anything.

Keep the chin up mate, she will be fine

Thanks mate, you have no idea how relieved myself and family are that Praew can continue her very productive life, very proud of her attitude, ambition and achievements and she would have been not only a loss to us, but a loss to Thai society.

FB_IMG_1457151790394.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dinooz57 said:

Thanks mate, you have no idea how relieved myself and family are that Praew can continue her very productive life, very proud of her attitude, ambition and achievements and she would have been not only a loss to us, but a loss to Thai society.

FB_IMG_1457151790394.jpg

Mate, anything I can do just PM me

19 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I would say that they reason that you do not see them going after speeding motorist is because they do not have anything that will catch the motorist with, they cannot catch anyone without the right equipment.

IMHO the video is all that is needed in this instance to determine the speed of the car before the collision. Pretty clear the driver would have run the red light if the scooter had not been there.

The speed cameras I see on the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai road don't seem to do anything. There used to be four, now there is only two - presumably the others are dead for lack of maintenance.

• Like 1