NCPO wedded to Prawit despite gruelling scandal

webfact

NCPO wedded to Prawit despite gruelling scandal

By Political News Desk 
THE NATION

27eb0703d196bc870107e34759ead350.jpg

Gen Prawit: file photo

MILITARY SOURCES SAY DEPUTY PM WANTS TO RESIGN BUT PRAYUT NEEDS HIM TO STAY

THE RULING junta is facing a major question involving one of its key figures: Should General Prawit Wongsuwan be allowed to step down amid mounting pressure because of his wristwatch scandal?

The dilemma is that even if Prawit resigns, the pressure is unlikely to die down. Instead, his resignation is expected to bring more problems and further undermine the government.

Prawit, the defence minister and deputy premier in charge of security affairs, seems to be disheartened and ready to resign. But his “brothers” in the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) do not want him to leave, according to an NCPO source.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who also heads the NCPO, is among those who want Prawit to stay on, as much of Prawit’s duties would fall on Prayut’s shoulders if the defence minister stepped down, according to the source, who requested anonymity.

An embattled Prawit told reporters on the military beat and Army commanders last week that he would step down “if people do not want me in this position”. On the following day, more than 50 people gathered outside the Defence Ministry to offer Prawit moral support. The move apparently was aimed at encouraging the government’s number-two to “fight on”. 

For people close to him, Prawit made a wrong move in saying that he would resign. Soon after he made the remark, his critics and political enemies initiated opinion surveys and online campaigns, which have increased the pressure on him – and also the government led by Prayut, his former subordinate in the Army.

The political tide seems to be going against the junta-dominated government. In addition to the wristwatch scandal dogging Prawit, there is also growing public dissatisfaction over the alleged attempt to delay the next general election and the likelihood that Prayut may become prime minister again after the election as a non-elected candidate.

Security agencies have concluded that even if Prawit resigns, pressure on the government would be unlikely to subside, as attacks could be shifted to the prime minister instead, according to the NCPO source. His resignation would instead undermine the government, as it would be deprived of someone who can deal efficiently with security issues. 

A key strength of the post-coup administration has been to maintain peace and order, in which Prawit has played an important role. Without a “powerful figure” such as him in charge, the security work could weaken. Prayut could also double as defence minister but that would overload him with work, and he could be the next target of an attack.

“Without General Prawit in charge, it is believed there will be more disturbances, particularly by hardliners,” said a security source.

The best option for the government is to deal with the pressure calmly and try to have Prawit continue in office for as long as possible. The junta sees that opposition comes from a small “same old” group of people who are campaigning on social media. They do not perceive the pressure coming from hundreds of thousands of people, as was the case in the past.

The prime minister probably will have Prawit stay on for as long as possible. At the least, Prawit could remain until the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) decides whether he committed wrongdoing regarding the watch scandal. 

Prawit did not include more than 20 luxury watches that he was seen wearing in his financial reports submitted to the NACC, claiming that all of them belonged to a wealthy friend.

If the NACC finds him guilty, Prawit will have to step down. But if no wrongdoing is found, the government may have to consider public sentiment again to determine whether people wanted Prawit to stay on.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30338041

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-06

1 hour ago, webfact said:

THE RULING junta is facing a major question involving one of its key figures: Should General Prawit Wongsuwan be allowed to step down amid mounting pressure because of his wristwatch scandal?

What a cynical tale!

How about a different question; as he seems not to be able to explain were he got the expensive watches and how he paid for them on his salary, why isn't he being put on trial for unexplained wealth? Would anyone else be allowed to stay on their job in his circumstances? Would Yingluck? 

It is weapons-grade hypocrisy.

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They do not perceive the pressure coming from hundreds of thousands of people, as was the case in the past

Ah, you mean the walk for Thailand whistle blowers who didn't really understand what they were marching for and just coveniently enabled the coup.

At least they had the freedom to protest about something.

NCPO wedded to Prawit

Wonder where he's registered for wedding gifts? (Just kidding, he's a 'confirmed' bachelor.)

What to get the man who already has everything? A watch of his very own?

Seriously, he can't be jettisoned as it would be a huge loss of face, and pretty much put a gigantic stain on the Junta's entire run.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

NCPO wedded to Prawit

Well, that should hopefully be the last nail in the coffin of the doomed ship 'Junta Jollies' . . . let's just hope that the 2P's observe the 'women and children first' rule when the 'Abandon Ship' order is shouted . . . November, February or whenever.

Edited by Ossy
omisson

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Peace at gunpoint is not really an achievement and sadly that is their only achievement.  Nothing noble or honorable can be attributed to their years after seizing power. 

You are talking about achievements for the country, but these people have no interest in that.

They are in it for themselves, and they achieved more than you and I could ever wish for.

(huge increase in their own wealth, the wealth of their friends, the wealth of their relatives, getting their friends off the hook in legal cases, getting their buddies nice jobs, gaining a lot of "face", and of course doing people a lot of favors they will later have to repay)

9 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

sort of contra coup

Counter-coups are hardly unheard of in the land of "Coups - R - Us". There have been at least four: 1933, 1948, 1949, 1951. Although the preferred method is to transition to a "civilian" government, if only for a few days, before staging another military take-over.

That said, the lesser and marginalized Army faction (Wong Thewan) may not have the 'stones', or "support" to stage a counter-coup? The ruling faction (Burapha Payak) has made sure that the most important regiments are strategically placed.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Counter-coups are hardly unheard of in the land of "Coups - R - Us". There have been at least four: 1933, 1948, 1949, 1951. Although the preferred method is to transition to a "civilian" government, if only for a few days, before staging another military take-over.

That said, the lesser and marginalized Army faction (Wong Thewan) may not have the 'stones', or "support" to stage a counter-coup? The ruling faction (Burapha Payak) has made sure that the most important regiments are strategically placed.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

another coup on the horizon?

sort of contra coup

sorry I meant contrecoup

but could not edit

like brain shock!

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I don't know about 'Coups - R - Us' (brilliant logo, by the way), it's going to take Couperman and Murky Gravy to unseat this obese bunch, especially now that P2's back in charge of security . . . now that would be worth watching.

Edited by Ossy
error

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The dilemma is that even if Prawit resigns, the pressure is unlikely to die down.

zero sympathy for their self-created problem; the only options, all being negative for them, suits me just fine;

is surprising how this watch foolishness came to light and how fast it exploded

shouldn't there be a book by now "Uncle Pom, don't go!", or at least a song "Prawit, we need you... without you - no hope!". Maybe some new dance moves "One step fore and two steps aft, spin around and shake your finger - it's the Prawit Shuffle"

Is there no one creative in government to help the dude's image?

Who wrote this article for The Nation? It's a wee bit bizarre in its choice of wording.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the defence minister and deputy premier in charge of security affairs, seems to be disheartened and ready to resign.

He's "disheartened"?!  More likely it's finally dawned on him that people realize what a corrupt hog-at-the-trough he is and he knows it's time to bail out.

On the following day, more than 50 people gathered outside the Defence Ministry to offer Prawit moral support. 

I wonder how much that "moral support " gathering cost Little P?  Were those "50 people" wearing military uniforms... or are they married/related to the junta's boys-in-green?

His resignation would instead undermine the government, as it would be deprived of someone who can deal efficiently with security issues.

Hahaha!  Again, who wrote this article... Steven100?  F. F. S. since the quite rotund little deputy hasn't been able to deal with the public's disapproval of his expensive-luxury-watch fetish such that he's "disheartened" to the point he wants to step down, who has any confidence that he could actually deal with any real "security issues" facing the kingdom?

Prawit’s duties would fall on Prayut’s shoulders if the defence minister stepped down

Wow, that's tough.  I guess it means the Prime Minister General himself would have to start wearing his former deputy's collection of expensive luxury watches and rings.  I hope he can carry all that weight!

And the winning quote from this article...

The political tide seems to be going against the junta-dominated government.

Ummm.. junta dominated government?!  That's a little inaccurate.  Others have already publicly stated it's more like a dictatorship and it's hard to argue with that reasoning.   After all, the current government was created by and for the plastic military generals who, after nearly 4 years, are still happily pigging out at the trough... and with no end in sight.  Anti-corruption mission? Elections?  Still MIA (Missing In Action).

5 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Who wrote this article for The Nation? It's a wee bit bizarre in its choice of wording.

He's "disheartened"?!  More likely it's finally dawned on him that people realize what a corrupt hog-at-the-trough he is and he knows it's time to bail out.

I wonder how much that "moral support " gathering cost Little P?  Were those "50 people" wearing military uniforms... or are they married/related to the junta's boys-in-green?

Hahaha!  Again, who wrote this article... Steven100?  F. F. S. since the quite rotund little deputy hasn't been able to deal with the public's disapproval of his expensive-luxury-watch fetish such that he's "disheartened" to the point he wants to step down, who has any confidence that he could actually deal with any real "security issues" facing the kingdom?

Wow, that's tough.  I guess it means the Prime Minister General himself would have to start wearing his former deputy's collection of expensive luxury watches and rings.  I hope he can carry all that weight!

And the winning quote from this article...

Ummm.. junta dominated government?!  That's a little inaccurate.  Others have already publicly stated it's more like a dictatorship and it's hard to argue with that reasoning.   After all, the current government was created by and for the plastic military generals who, after nearly 4 years, are still happily pigging out at the trough... and with no end in sight.  Anti-corruption mission? Elections?  Still MIA (Missing In Action).

Nice one, J-i-T . . . that will take some following! But, now that I've got the chalk to hand, here's a picture I prepared earlier . . .

P1 & P2.jpg

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Prayut is shielding and abetting corruption. That’s dereliction of duty and should be charged as there was a previous precedent. 

Those are the only charges against Yingluck of which she was found guilty if memory serves.  She knew somebody was steeling and said nothing.  One of the justices actually found her innocent even.  The only difference is Yingluck did not have a get out of jail free card and absolute power. 

5 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Those are the only charges against Yingluck of which she was found guilty if memory serves.  She knew somebody was steeling and said nothing.  One of the justices actually found her innocent even.  The only difference is Yingluck did not have a get out of jail free card and absolute power. 

To be fair, she was charged by the over eager and zealous NACC while 'watchman' has not even with all the overwhelming evidences. Maybe the activists can petition the court to dismiss all the current NACC commissioners for malfeasance and dereliction of duties and responsibilities. I will take that if 'watchman' case don't get traction. 

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

zero sympathy for their self-created problem; the only options, all being negative for them, suits me just fine;

is surprising how this watch foolishness came to light and how fast it exploded

"...is surprising how this watch foolishness came to light and how fast it exploded..."

I strongly agree with the "zero sympathy" comment in the first sentence, let me respectfully disagree with the second. 

First, it is just so weird that it was bound to attract attention sooner or later; a General borrows some other guy's watch(es) to wear? Who does that? If a friend of mine came to me and asked to 'borrow an expensive watch' for a while, I would say something like "what the hell is the matter with you? Are you a chick who wears jewelry?"

The second reason that I disagree is that this is simple; the really difficult corruption to stop is in one legal clause of a 89 page contract or in subsection 33.4.5 of a new regulation. This is splendid simplicity, "Hey look! The General has  a multi-million Baht watch! How'd he get that?".

Let's hope that one day the General receives what he deserves...

On 2/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who also heads the NCPO, is among those who want Prawit to stay on, as much of Prawit’s duties would fall on Prayut’s shoulders if the defence minister stepped down

If Prayut can't figure out how to add someone to his team to replace theToad then maybe he is in a position beyond his capabilities? I would guess he is capable of figuring this out and has other reasons for keeping is friend on the team. Maybe there are too many secrets shared between them?