EU tells Britain: Time has come to make a Brexit choice

webfact

42 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

You cannot have a frictionless border if leaving the Single Market.

Yes you can, even if it involves number plate recognition technology and suchlike. If a free trade deal is not agreed (something the government is working against), then obviously there are duties to be paid and collected. But, again, this can be done without physical border issues. HM Revenue and Customs has made this point clear.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I guess you don't see the obvious ludicrousness of Merkel's stance.

There is a long running thread on thaivisa titled May Ready for Tough Talks Over Brexit. That title is clearly and hilariously exactly opposite to the actual case.

Merkel's ham-fisted sarcasm could also be laughed at as the ventings of someone who can't get their opponent to lay all their cards on the table.

16 minutes ago, dunroaming said:
1 hour ago, smedly said:

the EU position ?

the EU has actually no say in the matter, as I have told you before - the UK is leaving the EU not the EU leaving the UK

what part of that don't you understand, I find it very simple indeed 

It appears your overwhelming hatred for the EU is blinkering what is obvious to most of us.  Maybe we should approach this a different way.

If the EU has "no position" then what are May and Davis trying to negotiate?  Why is Davis saying that he is sure we can "strike a deal with the EU"?  Why are Rees-Mogg and the Brexiteers telling May she has to harden her approach to the negotiations or face a leadership challenge?  Why hasn't May walked away from the EU and saved herself the excruciating embarrassment that she is experiencing every day?

5 hours ago, smedly said:

and you don't think the EU will be damaged when they loose one of their only 4 net contributors never mind the trade that many countries in the EU heavily rely on with the UK

The damage will be mitigated both ways which is why there will be a deal 

Yes the EU will be damaged by Britain leaving.  They don't want us to leave, that is why they are going to make it as hard as possible.  They have said that from the start!  Still according to you the EU has "no position" so this is irrelevant.

"The damage will be mitigated both ways which is why there will be a deal".  So you now agree that we will do a deal?  Very confusing. 

"Why hasn't May walked away from the EU and saved herself the excruciating embarrassment that she is experiencing every day?"

Because she's stuck between a rock and a hard place between her party's remainers and brexiters.

26 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Yes you can, even if it involves number plate recognition technology and suchlike. If a free trade deal is not agreed (something the government is working against), then obviously there are duties to be paid and collected. But, again, this can be done without physical border issues. HM Revenue and Customs has made this point clear.

How would you prevent a vehicle without the prerequisite clearance from crossing the border

19 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

"Why hasn't May walked away from the EU and saved herself the excruciating embarrassment that she is experiencing every day?"

Because she's stuck between a rock and a hard place between her party's remainers and brexiters.

I agree she is between a rock and a hard place and I agree it is political and not about what is best for the country.  So what is the answer?  If she could have walked away she would have.  If she could negotiate a good deal for the UK she would have.  So what would you do now because neither of those options are on the table?

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

The UK government has stated that it has no problem with a frictionless border once we leave the EU, as has UK Revenue and Customs. The border issue is one which has been manufactured entirely by the EU and ROI. And one has to wonder about ROI motivation behind this.

If you hadn't noticed an agreement was made between the ROI and the UK some time ago with the UK guaranteeing no hard border.  Of course Britain could go back on their word but the cost will be mightily high.

The eu will suffer far more than the average uk citizen..believe me

If I were still in the UKZ I'd be looking forward to getting paid the rate for the job..no more getting cut by eastern europeans who live of the UK taxpayer.
Also 20% of food. clothes and shoes
Also..no more kalergi plan for the UK!!@

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Of course we do.  Circumstances and opinions change.  The referendum was only advisory anyway, and was a huge miscalculation by Cameron as a sop to the extreme right of the Tory party.  Parliament would be well advised to ignore the result in my opinion, but obviously this would be extremely difficult to do politically.  A General Election could settle it, if Labour had the courage to be in favour of Remaining.

But they are not in favour, so an election would not settle it!

6 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

6/2/2018  12.53 GMT.  

You are correct but this is politics and by 12.55 GMT everything could change in camp labour.

Edited by dunroaming

e

15 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

If I were still in the UKZ I'd be looking forward to getting paid the rate for the job..no more getting cut by eastern europeans who live of the UK taxpayer.

Whatever you are drinking I would like some too!

29 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

If you hadn't noticed an agreement was made between the ROI and the UK some time ago with the UK guaranteeing no hard border.  Of course Britain could go back on their word but the cost will be mightily high.

As I have already explained, the UK is happy to have a soft border in any number of circumstances. It's the ROI, backed by the EU, who are playing hardball over the issue, quite possibly out of a sense of opportunism.

44 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I agree she is between a rock and a hard place and I agree it is political and not about what is best for the country.  So what is the answer?  If she could have walked away she would have.  If she could negotiate a good deal for the UK she would have.  So what would you do now because neither of those options are on the table?

I think a reasonable deal is achievable. Of course, we could be playing with a different hand of cards in the near future.

True, at the moment. If it is politically expedient to do, there can certainly be a majority for Remain within Labour for the next election. Even Corbyn is coming round to it. The youth vote is vital for Labour, and the vast majority of young people are Remainers - not surprisingly as, unlike the fossils who championed Brexit, their future depends on it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, sums up the Brexiter case beautifully!

No more questions...

(mods may care to look up Kalergi plan)

Edited by Grouse

32 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

As I have already explained, the UK is happy to have a soft border in any number of circumstances. It's the ROI, backed by the EU, who are playing hardball over the issue, quite possibly out of a sense of opportunism.

And as I have explained, the UK came to an agreement with the ROI (which means the EU) committing to there being a soft border between Ireland and Northern Ireland and would honour the Good Friday Agreement.  An integral part of that agreement is the customs union and being part of the single market.  The question that is now being asked is how can the UK withdraw from the customs union while still honouring the GFA?  The answer from the ROI is that it can't and that is why there is now confusion as to just how May can achieve it after already pledging it.

38 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I think a reasonable deal is achievable. Of course, we could be playing with a different hand of cards in the near future.

Yes that is true.  But when you say a reasonable deal do you mean one that is better for the UK than the current deal?  If so in what way.

53 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

A glass of the truth

The TRUTH!  You can't handle the truth!!!  Oops sorry I thought I was Jack Nicholson for a moment...

Well maybe you think that is the truth my friend but I am afraid all indicators point in the opposite direction. Still sometimes it is better to believe the illusion, it helps you sleep better :smile:

Snowflakes..suck it up now like good boys..we are leaving the fraudulent corrupt eu,where the accounts have not been signed off for over 25 years.
Why should the very hard pressed British taxpayer pay into a financial cesspit???
Supporting the 5 star lifestyle of corrupt people like Drunkard..sorry I mean Junker

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

What hypocrisy! So any vote with an outcome you like then becomes a one off, never to be voted on again, never ever does it?

Not how democracy works. And not how our representative democracy is supposed to work.

I understand what you mean.

Unfortunately we are not dancing the okey kokey and we can't be in out in out shaken all about.

Indecision helps nobody. For years before the brexit vote there were complaints from some that we would

be better off outside the union. Those were the years that remainders should have been more vociferous.

Unfortunately, complacency resulted in a very narrow victory for brexiters.

Personally, for selfish reasons, had I been able to vote it would have been to remain. I think that with our big financial input we could have found common cause with other countries concerned about the immigration issue and got a better deal. We would have been better off fighting from within the ring where our punches might have hit home than arguing over the ropes from outside.

We have seen how reluctant the EEC were to let Greece leave. Is not the UK more valuable to the EEC as a contributer than Greece is as a defaulter ?

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

I understand what you mean.

Unfortunately we are not dancing the okey kokey and we can't be in out in out shaken all about.

Indecision helps nobody. For years before the brexit vote there were complaints from some that we would

be better off outside the union. Those were the years that remainders should have been more vociferous.

Unfortunately, complacency resulted in a very narrow victory for brexiters.

Personally, for selfish reasons, had I been able to vote it would have been to remain. I think that with our big financial input we could have found common cause with other countries concerned about the immigration issue and got a better deal. We would have been better off fighting from within the ring where our punches might have hit home than arguing over the ropes from outside.

We have seen how reluctant the EEC were to let Greece leave. Is not the UK more valuable to the EEC as a contributer than Greece is as a defaulter ?

No, the EEC was not reluctant to let Greece leave and virtually none of the Greeks wanted to leave the EEC. Many wanted to leave the Eurozone which is not the same thing. And the UK is not a member of the Eurozone.