Health insurance???

Jools

I am considering purchasing health insurance through a local expats group. Do any of the members here have experience with AXA or other Thai health insurers? I am hesitant to buy from a Thai company but BUPA and others want to charge me 800 dollars a month in premiums. Obviously, I can't do that without a gigantic hit to my lifestyle. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the Thai companies. If necessary, message me privately. I am not unaware of the propensity of Thai companies to file defamation charges. Thanks.

Not sure where you are getting your group quotations but the PCEC group rates from AXA and Pacific Cross are a fraction of your quotations. Of course, rates are based on age and you must be 70 or under for your first application. Paying extra for OPD is not for me and preexisting conditions are excluded, but 45,000 (annual) for a 1M and 65,000 for a 2M policy is affordable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

but 45,000 (annual) for a 1M and 65,000 for a 2M policy is affordable. 

21 hours ago, Jools said:

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the Thai companies.

OP may want to have a look at a number of threads in the Insurance forum where this gets discussed a lot. Some issues from some of the feedback in those threads -

- 1m or even 2 may not be enough for a major health problem

- Some Thai companies will stop insuring you at a certain stage irrespective of claims (I think 65 but could be wrong)

- If you have some big claims then they can and do (in some cases) ratchet up the next years premium a lot.

• Like 2

I can recommend Macallan Insurance on Pattaya Tai (not far from the Suk)

They're insurance brokers so shop around for the best deal for you.

Ask for Jack, a true gent if ever there was & has been well known in the ex-pat community for many many years.

He sorted out my family's insurance at quite a discount compared to what I was getting with the main big name insurers.

A real pleasure to deal with & the Thai staff that I dealt with spoke excellent English

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SidJames said:

I can recommend Macallan Insurance on Pattaya Tai (not far from the Suk)

They're insurance brokers so shop around for the best deal for you.

Ask for Jack, a true gent if ever there was & has been well known in the ex-pat community for many many years.

He sorted out my family's insurance at quite a discount compared to what I was getting with the main big name insurers.

A real pleasure to deal with & the Thai staff that I dealt with spoke excellent English

You recommend a health insurance on the basis of the agent selling it is a gentleman and he got you a discount? :shock1:

Inga Dohlon

Swedish-Thai 
BSI Pattaya
Tel : 038-074741-2
Fax: 038-074718

An independent brokerage, provides a good variety of deals with major providers and excellent service

i have life, health, home and vehicular insurance with her

always there, even assisted me on a Sunday with an accident.

i would not dream of going anywhere else

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

You recommend a health insurance on the basis of the agent selling it is a gentleman and he got you a discount? :shock1:

Can you think of a better reason to recommend someone other than the fact that they saved me money on my previous insurance packages, sorted the claims out immediately & were a pleasure to deal with?

I know of several scams with brokers and suggest not doing it on the internet only.

I would personally walk into the place as I did at Bupa in Bangkok and get the policy.

There is also a Bupa office in Pattaya off Sukhumvit not far from Bangkok Pats Hospital.