Ween Child off Breast

Rc2702

Our son will be 1 year old next month.

We agreed to breast feed him for 1 year.

Various methods out there but I thought I'd expand on the situation at hand and find out if anyone has similar experiences to share.

The lad sleeps in between us and has slept for 8-10 hours per night since 4 months of age. The only time he half wakes up is about twice a night he will look for his moms breast and fall asleep with it in his mouth.

Do we really just replace the nipple with a bottle by the bed at night?

My Mrs thinks we should apply lemon to her breast to make him dislike it.

• 1 month later...

Obviously a personal choice, so the why's & why not's are moot.

Anything regarding kids can be made simple or hard, a lot of depends on the parents resolve. 

Weaning onto a bottle is simple if you stick to it, you may have a couple of sleepless nights. 

My Wife weaned our son onto a bottle at 6months, with the travel we were doing at the time it was a lot more convenient for us that way. 

Our son was in his own room from 1 year 9 months.

For others, it's different for different reasons, again a personal choice. 

The one thing that is shown to work - just do something and stick to it. 

18 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

It is so very personal and individual.

There are literally millions of links on Google and thousands of videos on youtube to help you through this matter.

Do you really want to rely on ideas of forum members of THV?

Why not? Many ThaiVisa forum members are well placed to understand the cultural nuances involved when being part of such decisions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why not? Many ThaiVisa forum members are well placed to understand the cultural nuances involved when being part of such decisions.

I say it's self explanatory.

But if you think otherwise, so be it.

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I say it's self explanatory.

But if you think otherwise, so be it.

Its only self-explanatory to someone who believes all ThaiVisa members to be uneducated buffoons with no possible experience of anything the Op has requested an opinion on. 

Of course, if your exposure to other expats in Thailand (and potential ThaiVisa members) is with those who have never achieved anything more than propping up a bars and have never participated in bringing up their children then I could see this is why you could consider it self-explanatory not to welcome the opinions of ThaiVisa members...

....if you have only encountered expats (and potential ThaiVisa members) in Thailand whose contributions could never be considered of worth then we could perhaps really bring into question the information you read, value and pay attention to.

Your comment implies no ThaiVisa member 'could' offer any information of value, to which a multitude of members who have found the advice of a number esteemed contributors would smirk at.

So, yes, I do think otherwise....  given the nature, professionalism, eloquence, and expertise of some of the contributors on ThaiVisa.com you'd have to be a fool to discard all opinions off hand... I'd say that is self-explanatory!

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its only self-explanatory to someone who believes all ThaiVisa members to be uneducated buffoons with no possible experience of anything the Op has requested an opinion on. 

Of course, if your exposure to other expats in Thailand (and potential ThaiVisa members) is with those who have never achieved anything more than propping up a bars and have never participated in bringing up their children then I could see this is why you could consider it self-explanatory not to welcome the opinions of ThaiVisa members...

....if you have only encountered expats (and potential ThaiVisa members) in Thailand whose contributions could never be considered of worth then we could perhaps really bring into question the information you read, value and pay attention to.

Your comment implies no ThaiVisa member 'could' offer any information of value, to which a multitude of members who have found the advice of a number esteemed contributors would smirk at.

So, yes, I do think otherwise....  given the nature, professionalism, eloquence, and expertise of some of the contributors on ThaiVisa.com you'd have to be a fool to discard all opinions off hand... I'd say that is self-explanatory!

Sorry Richard but your reply impresses me not in the least.

You're welcome to continue with your attack if you so choose.

I request the moderators allow you to post whatever you feel appropriate without any recriminations.

My first post in this thread stands as I posted it without any wish to edit it.

Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Sorry Richard but your reply impresses me not in the least.

You're welcome to continue with your attack if you so choose.

I request the moderators allow you to post whatever you feel appropriate without any recriminations.

My first post in this thread stands as I posted it without any wish to edit it.

Have a nice day.

As its not ' self-explanatory'... to myself at least...  Please, could you explain why the op may want to question the Ops choice to potentially rely on ideas of forum members of THV? and why this may be self-explanatory. 

I think you do raise an interesting point, but it seems quite unfair to paint all members with the same shadowy brush strokes. 

Without wishing to seem argumentative, your point is of interest, if not now a little off-topic...  I'm sure the Op is smart enough to filter the ridiculous from the useful responses. 

& finally, you too... please have a good day and enjoy your evening...

On 4/5/2018 at 4:23 PM, bheard said:

Unless you have particular reasons then why wean him? 2 years on the breast is common.
You do need to get him out of your bed though.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I do not agree with that point on the bed at all but if you had a point to make I'd be prepared to listen.

The breast feeding I agree we need not stop but 1 year of breast feeding is already pretty good going but I understand and believe the study in Brazil on BF and so we continue.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:43 PM, watcharacters said:

It is so very personal and individual.

There are literally millions of links on Google and thousands of videos on youtube to help you through this matter.

Do you really want to rely on ideas of forum members of THV?

Yes I think I do sometimes and if it is all self explanatory why all the content on YT and google and if it is so personal and individual why all the Google and YT? 

This is the family and children section and much like the IT and computers/visa's section I hoped for some good input. I do not rely on this sites input I use many different channels. 

The amount of good info I have got from this site has solved so many matters I have lost count. I think you have lost sight of the forums value with such comments.