Vpn question

gaviny

What about it doesn't work? Does the streaming app on the phone or tablet give you an error?

If you're using the same VPN utility and streaming software, and they're all 'android' devices, there really shouldn't be a difference on how the app runs. Though if the streaming app can detect the presence of a SIM card, or other location based sensors then it may be enough of a difference in environment (or leak of location) to prevent the app from functioning.

TV Movies and Series from many countries are only reachable from their own or a few other countries. I have that problem here in Thailand special to stream or download from Switzerland and other countries. Using a VPN and one of their servers from that specific country solves that problem.

1 hour ago, ArnonK said:

Using a VPN and one of their servers from that specific country solves that problem.

From the OP : "Could someone explain why I can acess an Australian Tv app using Vpn on my Android Box ... but yet for the exact app on my phone or tablet , it doesn't work"

Reading and Comprehension is usually fundamental before replying.  Unless of course you believe the OP was skipping the part about loading and enabling a VPN on their Phone and/or Tablet and still expecting it to somehow work.

What about it doesn't work? Does the streaming app on the phone or tablet give you an error?

If you're using the same VPN utility and streaming software, and they're all 'android' devices, there really shouldn't be a difference on how the app runs. Though if the streaming app can detect the presence of a SIM card, or other location based sensors then it may be enough of a difference in environment (or leak of location) to prevent the app from functioning.
Thanks for your input , the phone and tablet are both Samsung and using the same Vpn, there is no error messages and it acesses the app however when I click on.a channel the circle appears without downloading the channel.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm assuming the Samsung devices are connecting through the same WiFi or Router Internet connection as the set top box.

I'd suggest doing a side-by-side comparison of settings between the set top box and Samsung devices to verify the VPN is connecting through the appropriate geo-location VPN server, and can connect to sites in Austrailia, and are not 'leaking' information that might disqualify the streaming connection  by using a test sites like:

browserleaks.com/webrtc 

You might also want to do a google search using the terms: Forum Samsung {name of Austrailian TV app herenot working   ...and see if other's are experiencing issues using those devices. I''d leave off the term VPN for now as you know it works because of the set top box.

One thing that can happen on Android is that an app might use the device's "Location Services" to figure out your true location rather than just looking at your public IP address. In such cases it won't help to use a VPN. Perhaps the "Location Services" are disabled on your Android box but enabled on your phone and tablet.

A test that you can do to see if Android is giving away your true location despite the location services seeming yo be turned off is to connect to your VPN and then run the Ookla Speedtest app. If the server that it selects is in Thailand then something is leaking your true location.

13 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

A test that you can do to see if Android is giving away your true location despite the location services seeming yo be turned off is to connect to your VPN and then run the Ookla Speedtest app. If the server that it selects is in Thailand then something is leaking your true location.

True!

In CyberGhost it shows the country used, not the origin country and that is the same outcome if I use the speed test from ADSLThailand: http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

In my router I use the OpenDNS Server and not the TRUE DNS Servers. Maybe that is why it shows the used country while on CyberGhost.

True!

In CyberGhost it shows the country used, not the origin country and that is the same outcome if I use the speed test from ADSLThailand: http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

In my router I use the OpenDNS Server and not the TRUE DNS Servers. Maybe that is why it shows the used country while on CyberGhost.

DNS leaks are one thing that can give away your location, or at least give a clue that you are using a VPN. That's one thing that VPN users should test for (not all VPNs have DNS leaks but some do). The location services on Android are separate from that though, since that can access GPS data and cellular assisted location data and pass such data onto whatever app you are running.

Archived