Chinese tourists flocking to Pattaya for transgender shows, Thai food, property – but not for sex

rooster59

Chinese tourists flocking to Pattaya for transgender shows, Thai food, property – but not for sex

chinese.JPG

The notorious sleazy side to Thai seaside resort Pattaya is not what is pulling in millions of Chinese tourists every year who, guided by social media like WeChat, go to see things like Tiffany’s Show, and are even buying property

A transgender extravaganza that has been running since 1974, Tiffany’s Show in Pattaya is still going strong, packing in hundreds of ogling tourists every night. The entrance fee is not cheap – 900 baht (US$28) for an ordinary ticket and 1,600 baht for VIP seats – but this does not put off an audience that nowadays is more than 60 per cent made up of Chinese tourists.

Of the 35 million international tourists who visited Thailand last year, about 30 per cent came from China, making it Thailand’s main tourist market for the third year in a row. Pattaya, a seaside resort town with a seedy reputation 100km southeast of Bangkok, attracted between 2 million and 3 million Chinese tourists last year, out of an estimated 10 million international visitors, according to local tourism authorities.

Unlike tourists from many other countries, however, the Chinese do not seem to be attracted to Pattaya for its notorious nightlife of girlie bars and prostitution. They are more interested in all other things Thai, including the food, silk and the exotic “ladyboy” performances staged by the 44-year-old Tiffany’s Show.

Full story: http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/2132657/chinese-tourists-flocking-pattaya-transgender-shows-thai

South China Morning Post: 2018-02-10

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Is that breast fondling I see. Ignorant foreigners just don't understand the high moral standards of this country.

Up front, "on show" TGs (for that is who is getting fondled) tend to encourage it.

I would suggest that getting close to flamboyant TGs is very much what a lot of people would consider "sleazy" (and something that I would wholeheartedly endorse) it being very much in the tradition of "Slumming" (which I wholeheartedly endorse):

"To visit impoverished areas or squalid locales, especially out of curiosity or for amusement."

"Slumming crossed not only ethnic and class lines, but sexual lines as well. “That is, a spectatorship of sexualized groups,” Professor Heap said. He noted that people would go and gawk at prostitutes, gays, lesbians and cross-dressers. It allowed many in the upper middle class to explore sexual identities without the constraints of their own neighborhoods."

(Tonight my last in Pattaya for a while).

Note the article makes a point that more patrons are FITs (independent travelers) than members of tour groups. Our posters tend to love spreading the myth that all the Chinese tourists are only members of tour groups and even zero dollar tours, which were ended more than a year ago. And the article offers more evidence to counter the forum dogma that Chinese don't spend any money.

19 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Note the article makes a point that more patrons are FITs (independent travelers) than members of tour groups. Our posters tend to love spreading the myth that all the Chinese tourists are only members of tour groups and even zero dollar tours, which were ended more than a year ago. And the article offers more evidence to counter the forum dogma that Chinese don't spend any money.

Very good point.

Both types exist in large numbers but the Chinese independent travelers have greatly increased every year.

2pm on Pattaya Beach, and all the FITs have just independently finished their tours of Koh Larn and are independently getting into the same bus.

20180210_135308.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

they're usually very polite when in small numbers. a few weeks ago in bkk i was in a restaurant when 4 girls came in and they had to sit next to an old thai lady as the place was packed. very nice girls and respectful as they got assistance from old girl how to order. actually sat with a group of chinese myself and had a few drinks with them not long ago. don't spend money? go to the 'tax free' mall over in sathorn. they spend money alright. nearly all chinese shopping the place dry. anyway. i could see why a saturday afternoon in HK trying to shop might turn some against them 555

55 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

they're usually very polite when in small numbers. a few weeks ago in bkk i was in a restaurant when 4 girls came in and they had to sit next to an old thai lady as the place was packed. very nice girls and respectful as they got assistance from old girl how to order. actually sat with a group of chinese myself and had a few drinks with them not long ago. don't spend money? go to the 'tax free' mall over in sathorn. they spend money alright. nearly all chinese shopping the place dry. anyway. i could see why a saturday afternoon in HK trying to shop might turn some against them 555

when you reference them as being Chinese as in from PRC mainland china.

Interesting article.  The Chinese spending lots of money even though the RMB is at weakest level it has been in 5 years against the Baht.  And buying lots of property despite significant exchange controls in China whereby individuals can transfer max of US$50,000 per year.  So what are they buying in pattaya?

40 minutes ago, shadowmaster1971 said:

when you reference them as being Chinese as in from PRC mainland china.

i reference them as a swarm of wasps following a flag that just jumped off or are heading to a couch. get the hell out of their way otherwise your getting trampled 5555

4 hours ago, shadowmaster1971 said:

Interesting article.  The Chinese spending lots of money even though the RMB is at weakest level it has been in 5 years against the Baht.  And buying lots of property despite significant exchange controls in China whereby individuals can transfer max of US$50,000 per year.  So what are they buying in pattaya?

Well, if my experience is any indication, they are buying condos.  The last 3 condos I sold were to mainland Chinese buyers--and they could afford condos in the 3MB price range but also in the 10.5MB range.  

49 minutes ago, newnative said:

Well, if my experience is any indication, they are buying condos.  The last 3 condos I sold were to mainland Chinese buyers--and they could afford condos in the 3MB price range but also in the 10.5MB range.  

Much of the property price boom in London due to the Chinese.

They do seem to like parking their hard earned cash overseas in property.

6 hours ago, brucec64 said:

2pm on Pattaya Beach, and all the FITs have just independently finished their tours of Koh Larn and are independently getting into the same bus.

20180210_135308.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Beach road at 2:00pm?

I've not seen it look that quiet before, and one bus is not really

indicative of an invasion.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

to brucec64

Dude, nobody said there aren't plenty of Chinese on tours. The point is, and it is totally TRUE, is that more and more Chinese are arriving here independently. And, yes, many of them spend lots and lots of money. 

Next ... 

But the masses that still do arrive on tours are still rude and ruin all the places that they visit. 

Next.. (Whatever that means)

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

Beach road at 2:00pm?

I've not seen it look that quiet before, and one bus is not really

indicative of an invasion.

Little bit difficult to fit 200 buses in one frame. But you are smarter than that...

Take a look at Beach Road and 7:30 am or 2:30pm. Quite a sh*tshow...

33 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

But the masses that still do arrive on tours are still rude and ruin all the places that they visit.

Completely off topic, seems you just had an urgent need to get in that lil' knee-jerk bash. Sorry you're disappointed that all Chinese tourists aren't in fact members of tour groups. Guess that came as a shock and violated forum decorum.

Though FITS now outnumber the tour group members,

Nevertheless, Chinese group tours help keep Tiffany’s – and hotels in Pattaya – packed, even during the traditional low season between May and September.

Which doesn't seem conducive to ruination but rather the opposite. In fact Tiffany's hardly seems ruined.  K. Paepiromrat isn't complaining about ruination:

“With Chinese tours we can reach 80 per cent occupancy,” Paepiromrat says. “We couldn’t succeed with any other market because the hotel is far away from the tourist zone.”

Nor does CentralFestival seem in the least ruined. Maybe the ruination isn't quite as widespread as you and our peanut gallery need to believe. I might mention that some Chinese tour group members were most polite in thanking me today for not running them over on Beach Road. :smile:

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I hope you have working visa but I still don't believe you about they buy condo's 

13 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Plenty of cheap sex available in China, so why would they want to buy it in Sleazeland ?

Due to the economic expansion, the price of paid sex with 20 year old girls have gone up 10 times. 

The price is 50% off in Thailand.   

Archived