Australian man victim of violent assault in popular Pattaya bar - report

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

America seems to be home to more than it's fair share of psychopaths and sociopaths. Levels of violence seem to escalate more quickly and more regularly there for whatever reasons. And some export that mentality and culture when travelling. Wild West mentality?

Remember the two American-Chinese students who carried out a very vicious assault on a young Aussie? The got away with it once one of their millionaire dad's whizzed in throwing his weight about. So will all depend on who this disgusting pyscho thug is; who his friends are; their connections and wealth. Sad, but based on previous that's how it is.

So you reckon America is a nest of bad guys just waiting to break out and bust some chops all over the world.

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

And of course all those other countries, France, Germany, the Middle Eastern ones, India, Pakistan, Korea (both), Japan, China - no violence there?

Wake up or at least cut the bias prejudice.

But when someone else names the US as such, you get all coy and defensive?

Make your mind up.

Whatever the cause of the fight, it was alcohol fueled.  These two individuals by 7:30 PM were wasted and out of control.  Reports indicate that fact and the bar just kept serving them drinks. Seems like bar owners should take at least a little responsibility and stop serving people who have passed the point of no return. 

1 hour ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

I think it has a lot to do with the internet. If you happen to see any street fight or knockout compilation videos online, often you see stomping on heads. People who are likely to get into fights will see such videos for the moats part as they often seek it out anyway. The notion of stomping or kicking heads whilst down enters the consciousness, and it remains there until they are in that very same situation, and react without thinking, especially if drunk. Or at least this is my theory 

It actually started with MMA, the first UFC competitions allowed stomping and then eventually more and more rules were introduced so that it became the bland schoolyard wrestling match that it is today

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

the Americans can't just say "drop the charges and give him back to us because we don't think he should go to jail". 

And you think that there ain't some American Embassy official banging on some doors right now shouting that??? :shock1:

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I disagree that it could happen to anyone... Certain people put themselves in these situations.

That is why I don't go to bars anymore, I reckon my chances of not getting smashed are better than those that frequent bars on a regular basis !!

having given your post some thought i do agree with you BUT if you do frequent bars then obviously the chances increase, i dont go to bars because of this either, i do go to gogos only because you never get invoked with other people cos their too busy with girls,   i could see myself stop drinking and going out later in life as bars and alcohol to seem to cause too much trouble as stated in other posts here.

17 hours ago, impulse said:

Funny that one of the top guys in the world in BJJ says the only defense against an attack by a mob is to run like hell.  There is no martial art (except in the movies) that can defend against a mob.  And I'd characterize 5 drunks out looking for trouble as a mob- especially if they're so eager to get in someone's face.  You go ahead and risk it.  It's your life. 

Me, I'll run like a little girl.  Or better yet, not antagonize a bunch of proven crazies by flipping them off in the first place.

im sure if this top guy confronted you and your 4 mates , he would win and not run , knock 2 down and the rest will run like scared rats !

19 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Australian Sun Herald newspaper reported

Thai police identify Melbourne man brutally killed in bar.

Fatal bashing Benjamin Mathew Robb, 42, has been identified as the man killed after being brutally punched and stomped on in a notorious Thai party town.

That should confirm the incident that took place and that the victim has died

Yes, but at the time that I wrote my comment I'd only seen the TV report.

So I wouldn't know what it said in the tabloidy Australian Sun Herald, would I?!

Subsequent reports have been a bit different, including that the deceased was a known bully & trouble-maker.

Reports today suggest that the assailant is a convicted murderer in the States.

3 hours ago, hottrader77 said:
21 hours ago, impulse said:

Me, I'll run like a little girl.  Or better yet, not antagonize a bunch of proven crazies by flipping them off in the first place.

im sure if this top guy confronted you and your 4 mates , he would win and not run , knock 2 down and the rest will run like scared rats !

I sense a disconnect between my post and your reply...  

On 2/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Yes, there was malice, but no premeditation.

Premeditation is not required under English law to lay a charge of Murder. I am not sure  about Thai law but much of it is very similar.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So the American had already been to prison for murder and apparently violently attacked someone in Starbucks the day before. Sounds ideal candidate to let in the country

No, actually his 1-9 years jail time was overturned on a technicality and his suspension was terminated the following year.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
14 minutes ago, Seismic said:
No, actually his 1-9 years jail time was overturned on a technicality and his suspension was terminated the following year.

But he was in prison for 1-2 years? According to the other forum where there's full details

According to public records he did not serve any of his jail time.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:52 AM, champers said:

Because I am from the UK and still follow the news from there and remember how town and city centres were like when I lived there. I can't comment on other countries; others on this thread have.

I presumed you were from the UK and was a tad confused as to why you would bash the country? Especially when it is not the only country in the world that has drunken aggro. Seeing as you use the past tense as regards to your previous residence, I now presume you stay in Thailand? If this is the case, Im sure you have seen "other news" in your time here that backs up my OP but you carry on Champers. Mind the blinkers dont get caught on a baht bus ;)

2 hours ago, Seismic said:

Premeditation is not required under English law to lay a charge of Murder. I am not sure  about Thai law but much of it is very similar.

You are correct. It is not required for a 'charge' of murder to be brought before the courts. But I believe it is required for a 'conviction' of murder.

46 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

I presumed you were from the UK and was a tad confused as to why you would bash the country? Especially when it is not the only country in the world that has drunken aggro. Seeing as you use the past tense as regards to your previous residence, I now presume you stay in Thailand? If this is the case, Im sure you have seen "other news" in your time here that backs up my OP but you carry on Champers. Mind the blinkers dont get caught on a baht bus ;)

Not bashing the UK; just stating that mob beatings are frequent there and not exclusive to Thailand.

If you keep your manners and your wits about you, it is easy enough to avoid trouble wherever you are. 

15 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

You are correct. It is not required for a 'charge' of murder to be brought before the courts. But I believe it is required for a 'conviction' of murder.

Why would a legal system entertain such a concept where charges can be brought but no conviction can ever be secured?

Did you read the links I provided to you yesterday showing the law in US/UK/Thailand where you can be charged and convicted of murder even if not premeditated? ...the brutality of the attack is enough, for eg. if you jumped on a person's head 20 times while they were on the ground.

1 hour ago, Air Smiles said:

Why would a legal system entertain such a concept where charges can be brought but no conviction can ever be secured?

A very good question... The reasoning is that the police make the original charges. They go for the maximum. The prosecutor (or what ever the term is in the relevant country) also wants the maximum. But if the law reads that 'premeditation' is required for the maximum, then the prosecutor at least has some leverage to say, 'Well, OK, then we'll take the next best thing,' rather than trying to boost up the penalties during the trial.  It's easier to come down than go up.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:34 AM, Dave67 said:

What a  Thai Prison? I doubt it as they are foreigners and would be blacklisted. Can you let know what country has prisons harder than Thailands, maybe China or Guantanamo Bay

Prisons harder than Thailand? Throw a dart at map of Africa...

On 13/02/2018 at 9:27 AM, scubascuba3 said:

So the American had already been to prison for murder and apparently violently attacked someone in Starbucks the day before. Sounds ideal candidate to let in the country

What amazes me is that, in the US, he got only two years for killing someone with a firearm..

Archived