How much of a hassle? Thai Retirement Visa

I am considering Thailand for my first 5 years of retirement beginning in 2020.  My understanding is the path of least resistance depositing 800k and avoid reporting pensions etc.  I also intend to but a condo before 2020.   Any advice or experience on the ease of obtaining.a retirement visa in this situation.  Is it worth having a Thai lawyer work with me? 

If you want do your stay based on Retirement (you are older than 50 years), then it's really easy.

I just have done my first extension based on marriage. And based on Retirenment is easier to do. 

I also was scared and had a lot of questions. But after I have done  it, I know it's not that scary.

I bought my condo without as visa a few years back. For a condo buy you only need to prove that your money is coming from outside the country with a FET form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

and avoid reporting pensions etc.??please tell your reasoning behind this

I heard it was a hastle.  But from the sounds of it it’s not an issue.  I too would rather not tie up funds unnecessarily.  

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Each to their own, but I think it’s better to use income rather than tie up 800K in a Thai bank for 2/3 months.

Me too.  I had heard it complicated the process but by the sounds of it it’s worth doing I have course would not want to tie up the money if I don’t need to

Thanks for the feedback

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Agree, but if you've 800K you don't use, why not put it in a Thai bank that pays better interest rates and save £50 on a letter to prove you have sufficient finances.......each to their own as you say.

But if you're going to deposit 800k in a Thai bank for any length of time you'd be strongly advised IMHO to make out a Thai will - not an issue, of course, if there are any other reasons why you would need such a will, but a matter of personal judgement, I think, as to whether or not making out a will in Thailand solely to cover an 800k deposit for retirement extension purposes would be justified.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

I heard it was a hastle.  But from the sounds of it it’s not an issue.  I too would rather not tie up funds unnecessarily.  

But 1 thing !!

Don't forget to put the money back a couple of months before (3+) your going to renew the retirement visa, else you will have to start over again.

I personally leave the money (now well over 800k) in a Fixed Deposit account and don't have to worry about it. And note I am currently on Marriage Extension (that one only requires 400k required in Bank account :thumbsup: )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Apologies for the dumb questions but if i were to apply by post will they send back to the UK or does it have to be posted to an address in Thailand?

I don't think they would send it to the UK since it is meant to be used at immigration here.

If they agreed to send it to the UK you would have to asked them how much the postage would be so that you could include it with your payment.

• Like 1

I am also American, unmarried, and came here without a visa. It was easy to get an extension based on retirement with an income letter from the embassy even after I was already here. As easy as the previous poster who is married. No money in the bank here as I also do not want my money tied up in a Thai bank account. No worries!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SFO2BKK said:

I am also American, unmarried, and came here without a visa. It was easy to get an extension based on retirement with an income letter from the embassy even after I was already here. As easy as the previous poster who is married. No money in the bank here as I also do not want my money tied up in a Thai bank account. No worries!

That's OK if you are American. 

You don't have to provide proof of income. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:
As I do not trust any Thai bank, have done the income letter from my Embassy since 2004.....easy peasy......[emoji39][emoji106][emoji106]

Good for you, but one question though for @ubonjoe

Would the (same) income (currently 65k THB per month) be honored when immigration up the requirements (grand father rule) of the money required?

Edited by MJCM

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Would the (same) income (currently 65k THB per month) be honored when immigration up the requirements (grand father rule) of the money required?

I cannot predict what they would do this time if they raised the requirements.

The last time they did it had a cutoff date for those grandfathered (1998) with different requirements based upon age on that date.

• Like 1