Bangkok drivers watch out - 24 hour red light cameras coming soon

snoop1130

GOOD !!!  I just watched a bike go through the lights few seconds after they turned red...

He was clearly chancing it as he accelerated through to turn right. 

At at the same time a handful of bikes going straight on (some probably jumping the lights) has to Brake hard to avoid him as he was braking hard to avoid them, who as a result of braking hard were nearly rear ended from the other bikes and cars also pulling away from the lights! 

Chaos and a very near miss fir a handful of innocent riders.

The guy causing this was a Westerner, but I see the same behaviour from many moronic idiots on the road. 

I hope this is not simply another ‘crack-down’ and that the authorities do keep this going and continue catching people all year long for many years to come.... it’s the only way to stop it (with real fines). 

7 hours ago, masuk said:

In countries which are living in this century, driving licences are suspended after a certain number of points are lost. In at least one Scandinavian country, drunk driving (over 0.05)  is an automatic cancellation.

As soon as the vehicle is listed as 'suspended', computers/CCTVs,  watch via number plate recognition software, and police are advised immediately if the vehicle is on the road.

It's extremely efficient, but if this were implemented in Thailand, extra prisons and vehicle lock-up yards would need to be constructed.

By doing the above, Thailand might lose its international standing as World's Worst Drivers.    :shock1:

You are obviously counting on the vehicles being registered in the first place, and even having number plates at all, then of course who the culprits are, ie. hi-so or peasant. other than that i would agree with your sentiment!

Cities across America are getting rid of these cameras. Cities love them at first but drivers soon find the underlying scam. 1) fines double to pay the company; 2) the yellow light is shortened to catch as many drivers as possible; 3) drivers then slam on brakes to avoid huge fine and get rear-ended; 4) insurance companies love these points on licenses so they can raise your rates. I got a camera ticket for not making a complete 100% three-second stop before turning right on red (you know, USA side of road). They wanted $750. I appealed and got it down to $150, plus two points on driving record. Insurance went up $25 a month so that's another $1500 at $300 a year for five years. The city, San Bernardino, CA, has since cancelled the contract and removed all cameras.

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, worgeordie said:

This is going to be a good money earner for the Government,

at every change of the lights they are going to catch a few,

24 hrs a day,if the drivers pay the fines,drivers need to realise

going through a red light is not acceptable and is very dangerous.

I remember an article,many years ago,when the judge deemed,  

the driver going through the GREEN light to be at fault when he

crashed into a driver who had run the RED light, because he should

have anticipated someone would come through the RED light.

regards Worgeordie

Seriously?  Wow!