Bangkok drivers watch out - 24 hour red light cameras coming soon

snoop1130

Bangkok drivers watch out - 24 hour red light cameras coming soon

ghghj.JPG

Traffic cops in the capital plan to upgrade cameras at intersections to catch motorists going through red lights 24 hours a day.

The new smart system will replace the haphazard enforcement in use presently -  an outdated system and the police.

The contract on the old camera system is now over and the force will set the new terms - TOR - to the private sector that will demand a system that is:

* Able to catch offenders 24 hours

and

* Is linked to the Department of Land Transport

In this way the cops hope to catch more people, get a lot more money in fines, put points on people's licences in a fair manner and perhaps even discourage offenders from doing it again. 

Deputy traffic commissioner Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon said that the new TOR would ensure that the capital gets an up to date and smart system that will help with law enforcement and fine gathering. 

The new system will lead to those fined being able to pay through banks as everything will be linked. 

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/bangkok/626751

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-2-12
  • Like 1

I think they will need to employ several thousand more people to help process the millions of infringements in Bangkok alone. Do it nationwide and unemployment will be solved.

Might be a few ambulance workers working short shifts though.

Edited by darksidedog
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

At the intersection at Major Ratchayothin, they sometimes have police there in person helping direct traffic. Every time the light goes green you have to wait for about 10-20 cars to pass in front of you first cos they’ve gone straight through a red. Police don’t blink an eyelid. This happens every time!

Today i drove in Bang Sue ratchadaphisek/wongsawan at 5:30....our stoplight kept red for a very long time and in the meantime i saw about 100 motocy's going through red. I didn't do it but have been thinking of it....

Also i don't understand why EVERYBODY has to live in BKK, traffic is superbusy, shops are VERY small, it's smelly, dangerous, hot, ugly but still they all have to live in BKK.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I think they will need to employ several thousand more people to help process the millions of infringements in Bangkok alone. Do it nationwide and unemployment will be solved.

Might be a few ambulance workers working short shifts though.

unemployment? there is no unemployment in thailand as you know 555. maybe they could get some farangs to do it ; )

• Like 1

Yeah as if points on the license will stop them from driving...."Hello officer, sorry I not have license but my daughter like you mak mak", "Mai pen rai, 300 baht fine and off you go, what's her number".

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In countries which are living in this century, driving licences are suspended after a certain number of points are lost. In at least one Scandinavian country, drunk driving (over 0.05)  is an automatic cancellation.

As soon as the vehicle is listed as 'suspended', computers/CCTVs,  watch via number plate recognition software, and police are advised immediately if the vehicle is on the road.

It's extremely efficient, but if this were implemented in Thailand, extra prisons and vehicle lock-up yards would need to be constructed.

By doing the above, Thailand might lose its international standing as World's Worst Drivers.    :shock1:

2 minutes ago, masuk said:

In countries which are living in this century, driving licences are suspended after a certain number of points are lost. In at least one Scandinavian country, drunk driving (over 0.05)  is an automatic cancellation.

As soon as the vehicle is listed as 'suspended', computers/CCTVs,  watch via number plate recognition software, and police are advised immediately if the vehicle is on the road.

It's extremely efficient, but if this were implemented in Thailand, extra prisons and vehicle lock-up yards would need to be constructed.

By doing the above, Thailand might lose its international standing as World's Worst Drivers.    :shock1:

It's only efficient to the law-abiding citizen. In the UK, many still drive with a suspended license by buying a second hand car registered by a friend and don't bother with the insurance/MOT

13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Does this exist?

Yes.  Been tried several times over the years.  The latest one gives you 12 points and points are deducted for each motoring offence.  When zero, the licence holder is banned from driving for a period.

In theory -  good.  In practice -  will never work.

14 hours ago, rkidlad said:

At the intersection at Major Ratchayothin, they sometimes have police there in person helping direct traffic. Every time the light goes green you have to wait for about 10-20 cars to pass in front of you first cos they’ve gone straight through a red. Police don’t blink an eyelid. This happens every time!

it happens on every...i mean EVERY intersection in thailand

This is going to be a good money earner for the Government,

at every change of the lights they are going to catch a few,

24 hrs a day,if the drivers pay the fines,drivers need to realise

going through a red light is not acceptable and is very dangerous.

I remember an article,many years ago,when the judge deemed,  

the driver going through the GREEN light to be at fault when he

crashed into a driver who had run the RED light, because he should

have anticipated someone would come through the RED light.

regards Worgeordie

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Today i drove in Bang Sue ratchadaphisek/wongsawan at 5:30....our stoplight kept red for a very long time and in the meantime i saw about 100 motocy's going through red. I didn't do it but have been thinking of it....

Also i don't understand why EVERYBODY has to live in BKK, traffic is superbusy, shops are VERY small, it's smelly, dangerous, hot, ugly but still they all have to live in BKK.

More attractions  might be reason like girls,girls ,girls

56 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Lets all just laugh at this one to. You think that will stop them? The pictures taken in camera will be taken and developed  and the cops will prob use them for dart practice :cheesy:

Darts practice?? No! no! You cannot expect the police to break the law.:cheesy:

3 hours ago, masuk said:

In Thailand it's a non-issue do to the fact that there is a large segment of the population who drives without licenses, and if they infringe the law all they get is a $400 THB ticket that allows them to drive through any police checkpoint license free and hassle free.  Points on a driver's license: Really, who cares?
What needs to happen in this third-world country is that they need to adopt first-world policing standards.  Don't hold your breath. 
They need a lot less talk and a lot more action.