Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

cmsally

Really. Your resort by chance? It's only "crystal clear" because the camera is pointing upwards. That resort posts pictures showing the horizon in the rainy season. Don't you find it a bit strange they suddenly chose to point the camera up and stop showing any landscape now? Let me guess, just pure coincidence.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ned said:

Doi Lo Hospital this morning was 640. 

Oh, later much better. Only 529.

529? Might be an error? - Smoking near the measuring device?

image.png.f64fb9813ef5051bd165256c7702fbd9.png 

But seriously , it is very bad.

Here are more links, some already well-known:

What is the difference between the PM2.5 and AQI measurements? - Quora

South Asian Air Quality Scales: Malaysia and Thailand

ChiangMai Air Quality Health Index

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/map.php  -  very interesting picture.

image.png.392330b1e139af613ef601efbaea0825.png

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

I'm in Santitham and looking west the mountain is completely obliterated by the gray haze and so didn't go for my morning exercise walk. 

Thought that by now things would start to improve.

Maybe people are burning on weekends because any enforcement is slacker.

The air quality today is atrocious. I guess because it is not Bangkok, no one cares. Maybe it is a plot to incapacitate Northern voters before the election!!

6 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

Thought that by now things would start to improve.

Why would that be? Rains are not expected until late May. Thus a few more months of deteriorating air quality can be expected. These next months tend to be the driest, worst air quality of the entire year. Cities in northern Thailand can rank at the very top of the most polluted cities in the world at these times. And it's the entire countryside that is effected. There is only one air supply and everyone is sharing it.

Yup, at the top again. Yesterday morning(mar.11) it was 251 pm2.5 out here on the paddy in Mae Rim.

I can't imagine living without an air purifier...amazingly(not),Home Pro is sold out of every type of air purifier they had in stock!

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.50.24 AM.png

13 minutes ago, bubba said:

Question for those who have a PM2.5 instrument at home:

Does PM2.5 improve when you close up the windows and switch on the aircon?

Only if you have the correct filters in the aircon & they're not clogged up.  Otherwise, similar to outside. 

AQI was 468 this morning, NOT the 199 aqicn.org was reporting.  I have a 'Temptop' meter from Amazon, $150, and it normally reads the same as this website (as it is now, in the afternoon).  I wouldn't be surprised if the Thais simply do not want to advertise a 468 reading (probably the worst on the planet today) so they fudge the numbers.

Would the Thais fudge the numbers to save face?  Naaah, they wouldn't do that now, would they?

One of the more interesting things to do with this meter is to read the AQI outdoors, then verify it is close to what is being reported on the real-time aqicn.org website.  Often Chiang Mai is in the 100-something.  Now go into your favorite enclosed (indoor) restaurant--even one with a ventilation system/hood over the stove--and take the reading inside.  I get close to 500 AQI sometimes.  And there is no tell-tale smell, as in 'it doesn't smell like cooking in the restaurant'.  Cooking stoves give off tremendous quantities of PM2.5 and PM10 but I had no idea that by dining in an indoor restaurant I would be breathing air much worse than air in most Pakistan cities.   Next reading I will take from indoor restaurants without any ventilation system over the stoves. That should be interesting. 

The day of the 500 indoor restaurant reading I quickly exited for the outdoor table at same restaurant only to find the reading was similarly astronomical---I was seated underneath the outtake vent for the restaurant's ventilation system. 

You may be safer breathing Sangtaew exhaust than you are dining indoors. Next time I'll do a CO (carbon monoxide) reading at these indoor restaurants.  I have another meter that will measure that...and, p.s., note: when parking your motorcycle at the underground parking garage at Maya Shopping Center, don't linger there!  Very high Carbon Monoxide readings, in the danger zone.

2 hours ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

One of the more interesting things to do with this meter is to read the AQI outdoors, then verify it is close to what is being reported on the real-time aqicn.org website.  Often Chiang Mai is in the 100-something.  Now go into your favorite enclosed (indoor) restaurant--even one with a ventilation system/hood over the stove--and take the reading inside.  I get close to 500 AQI sometimes.  And there is no tell-tale smell, as in 'it doesn't smell like cooking in the restaurant'.  Cooking stoves give off tremendous quantities of PM2.5 and PM10 but I had no idea that by dining in an indoor restaurant I would be breathing air much worse than air in most Pakistan cities.   Next reading I will take from indoor restaurants without any ventilation system over the stoves. That should be interesting. 

The day of the 500 indoor restaurant reading I quickly exited for the outdoor table at same restaurant only to find the reading was similarly astronomical---I was seated underneath the outtake vent for the restaurant's ventilation system. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/17/cooking-sunday-roast-causes-indoor-pollution-worse-than-delhi 

I am actually going to Pattaya for awhile.

I played golf in CM today and literally could barely see the green from the tee. On the 14th hole I was so sick from the air I vomitted.

Very sad about CM it is a great place but the air this time of year really is a true health hazard.

Would it be fair to say that politicians and law enforcement in Chiang Mai are responsible and would it be fair to say that their behavior is equal to treason? 

Treason is punishable by death according to Thai law.

Politicians and law enforcement are sworn in to protect and serve the people.

Their neglect and failure to fix this issue is killing lots of Thai people? Right?

It's treason. 

They should be held accountable.

That being said..  is there any hope? Ban the crops that they burn the fields and Forrests for? Complete law enforcement reform? What?

19 hours ago, thaivisa63 said:

Where should i go if i want to be sure to find an air purifier ? More importantly how do i choose one ? I see the prices vary greatly from one model to another. It's getting atrocious here.

According to the website,Home Pro is sold out of every type. I find this odd since I tried to buy a 2nd unit back in early Jan. from the San Sai location and the isle for them was gone. It's like they stopped carrying them altogether....mmm?

The Hatari HT-AP12 - 4,888B works well for medium size spaces. Should come with an extra filter.

Baan & Beyond had them but now sold out.

Haitari.png

38 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

According to the website,Home Pro is sold out of every type. I find this odd since I tried to buy a 2nd unit back in early Jan. from the San Sai location and the isle for them was gone. It's like they stopped carrying them altogether....mmm?

The Hatari HT-AP12 - 4,888B works well for medium size spaces. Should come with an extra filter.

Baan & Beyond had them but now sold out.

Haitari.png

Lazada still has them, but not at that price!

Air quality pretty much off the charts now. At 300+ it is in the very top bracket called Hazardous: "Everyone may experience more serious health effects". Some places are now 500+. Burning continues in earnest.

cma.png.339449f467a8ee1b3238c82ee4a969bb.png

I am currently really sick due to this. 

Wanting to go away until it is over, but unfortunately can not right now. Can not get out before the weekend.

AQI now at 296. This is Crazy!!! 

They put efforts in smoking bans at beaches and even punish people vaping. But do nothing about this. Terrible!! Only IDIOTS act like this. They are killing people.

I had on order from AliExpress for a Xiaomi Mijia Smartmi PM2.5 Air Detector for $37cad.

This was back before Chinese New Year,like 5wks later the seller cancelled the order and raised the price $10cad. According to the comments 99% of those orders dumped were customers from Thailand.

Like wise, Lazada's vendors have the Hatari for around 1,000b+ more,don't know if it includes an extra filter......supple and demand.

Really, if I didn't have an air purifier I would be out of here ASAP. This has got to be the worst year on record...300,400 even 500 pm2.5 !!...<deleted>!!!

On 3/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, HaleySabai said:

I had on order from AliExpress for a Xiaomi Mijia Smartmi PM2.5 Air Detector for $37cad.

This was back before Chinese New Year,like 5wks later the seller cancelled the order and raised the price $10cad. According to the comments 99% of those orders dumped were customers from Thailand.

Fyi, I got this email message the other day from the Sndway Direct Store on AliExpress re their having their PM2.5 sensor back in stock now, and specifically mentioning high demand from Thailand. Their website below says they have 100+ pieces available.

Hi dear customer,
The SW-825 product has been in great demand in Thailand in the past months,
we run out of stock for a period, but now we get enough stock.
Thanks for the support and understanding from our loyal customers,
we will send a 3M 9501V Anti dust PM 2.5 Mask as free gift for the NEW orders before the
end of this March.
Here is a picture of the 3M DUST MASK
http://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1hxPjLOrpK1RjSZFhq6xSdXXaq.jpg 
Best Regards

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

Archived