Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

cmsally

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With PM2.5, you have to wonder why more attendees aren't wearing masks.  High 300s indoors today but the Xiaomi Mi 2S I received yesterday is keeping the Family Room decent.

Screenshot_20190323_112738_com.xiaomi.smarthome.jpg

You can really notice the difference when you step out into the kitchen.  Have just ordered another (Lazada, Rabbit Shop, 4299 baht)

its amazing to me how much smoke gets inside as well.

I have two rooms, a small bedroom and then the living area but only one air purifier.

I put the air purifier in my bedroom at night to sleep and woke up to 55 air quality (429 outside) so 55 is decent, not the best but decent considering it is 429 outside

Moved the purifier to the other room to start my day and it started out at 276 in my living area,, insane its down to 130 in my living space now, its bigger area and if I turn on my air conditioner it seems to shoot back up 30 to 40 points

8 minutes ago, krey said:

its amazing to me how much smoke gets inside as well.

I have two rooms, a small bedroom and then the living area but only one air purifier.

I put the air purifier in my bedroom at night to sleep and woke up to 55 air quality (429 outside) so 55 is decent, not the best but decent considering it is 429 outside

Moved the purifier to the other room to start my day and it started out at 276 in my living area,, insane its down to 130 in my living space now, its bigger area and if I turn on my air conditioner it seems to shoot back up 30 to 40 points

Yes it has been my experience as well.

External 300+, internal i could never get it down below 40.  Now, my windows are already double rubber gaskets.  I guess it's the doors.  But reallly cannot get it shut too tightly for too long a period, else the CO2 levels would rise enough to induce headaches.

There must be some very slight air exchanges.

Yupparaj Wittayalai almost always gives the highest readings which are naturally quoted in headlines but, bearing in mind it's bang in the middle of the moat and close to a busy set of traffic lights which always has a queue of vehicles idling not to mention the huge number of students' motorbikes coming and going, maybe it's skewing things on the high side a bit.

9 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Yupparaj Wittayalai almost always gives the highest readings which are naturally quoted in headlines but, bearing in mind it's bang in the middle of the moat and close to a busy set of traffic lights which always has a queue of vehicles idling not to mention the huge number of students' motorbikes coming and going, maybe it's skewing things on the high side a bit.

Isn't that a true indication of the air quality in the city?

Wow....630 ug/m3 and 1hr AQI of 740 Rhies CMU 1000-1100h.  Not sure why is there a difference between that and aqicn though.

Very very bad in any case.

Those who are sick with lung/heart/stroke risk, elderly, pregnant and young children/infants should seek cleaner air immediately.

7 minutes ago, vivid said:

Wow....630 ug/m3 and 1hr AQI of 740 Rhies CMU 1000-1100h.  Not sure why is there a difference between that and aqicn though.

Very very bad in any case.

Those who are sick with lung/heart/stroke risk, elderly, pregnant and young children/infants should seek cleaner air immediately.

I am not sure why, but for some reason Dustboy nearly always has higher readings, especially as the readings get higher in general. Maybe someone knows the reason why?

4 hours ago, Greenside said:

With PM2.5, you have to wonder why more attendees aren't wearing masks.  High 300s indoors today but the Xiaomi Mi 2S I received yesterday is keeping the Family Room decent.

Screenshot_20190323_112738_com.xiaomi.smarthome.jpg

You can really notice the difference when you step out into the kitchen.  Have just ordered another (Lazada, Rabbit Shop, 4299 baht)

I also got the xiaomi mi 2s and i'm strongly unsatisfied with it. Can't get below 140 right now

29 minutes ago, thaivisa63 said:

I also got the xiaomi mi 2s and i'm strongly unsatisfied with it. Can't get below 140 right now

Is it set to the maximum fan speed?  It should sound like a muffed small vacuum cleaner then.  (yeah, noise wrt airflow is not its strong point).  Your doors/windows are very leaky? 

My 2s works fantastic. Both my bedroom and living space are ~35 sq.m each. I move it depending on which room I will be in. Never goes above 50, except for today.

You have to manually set the fan to high for a while to clear out the room the first time

16 minutes ago, om3n1rpak said:

My 2s works fantastic. Both my bedroom and living space are ~35 sq.m each. I move it depending on which room I will be in. Never goes above 50, except for today.

You have to manually set the fan to high for a while to clear out the room the first time

Are you talking about readings of 50 micrograms, or 50 AQI?

50 AQI is the very top end of the "good" air quality scale. 50 micrograms of PM2.5 is the high end of the orange unhealthy for sensitive groups scale, almost to the red unhealthy for all category.

But either way, it's obviously much better than what's going on outside.

Here's what BKK looks like outside this afternoon by comparison. AQI levels from AQICN.org

1898856928_2019-03-2317_36_40.jpg.fa96690a4c78d04564a47de0a50f763f.jpg

And here's the CM region by comparison:

1413259429_2019-03-2317_40_58.jpg.cdcdd3955ff527b12b91d69fce2ab596.jpg

Of course I set it to maximum speed. There are 3 speed levels : night, auto and dynamic. Night and auto are both worthless. I have to set it 24/7 to dynamic to get results. Can't wait to see the bill at the end of month. So yes i assume my place is too leaky because as soon as i stop it the aqi goes back pretty fast to outside level.

And the local favorite mentioned above:

176928040_2019-03-2317_45_51.jpg.eb66da28151ef87a39b8f7e2322a83a8.jpg

The AQI reading above is equal to a PM2.5 micrograms reading of about 420, which is shockingly high...  As are many of the other readings nearby.  HAZARDOUS to EVERYONE breathing it.  If you look at the smaller hour by hour chart to the left, you can see the peaks occurred in late morning before noon.

So all the locals are out for a good ole' Saturday morning burn???

20 minutes ago, thaivisa63 said:

Of course I set it to maximum speed. There are 3 speed levels : night, auto and dynamic. Night and auto are both worthless. I have to set it 24/7 to dynamic to get results. Can't wait to see the bill at the end of month. So yes i assume my place is too leaky because as soon as i stop it the aqi goes back pretty fast to outside level.

Should be a very leaky room then.

The unit has a CADR of around low 300 m3/hr.  It's sufficient for a 20 sq metre room even at present smoke levels, only issue is that it creates quite a din when operating at 300 m3/hr, that's the trade off due to its small size.

25 minutes ago, thaivisa63 said:

Bill shouldn't be high.  It's only a fan, not an aircon.  You have removed the wrapper from the filter ???? 

Archived