Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Mai

cmsally

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I have not seen so far on this thread is any explanation of why CM is going through this airpocalypse months earlier than usual. What can be causing it? If it is just farmers burning, then why now-surely crop production follows some kind of predictable annual cycle? If not, then what is it? I feel that if this is to be the "new normal" i.e. a 6-month smoky season only halted by the rains then there are going to be many people doing a hasty and drastic rethink of their plans to live here. 

On 12/2/2018 at 12:03 PM, mrmillersr said:

ng

Another intelligent post from someone who claims he is not bothered by the air quality (actually would be more accurate to say the lack of air quality) and he is sure it will play no part in what finally kills him. 

People of Chiang Mai wake up.  Air pollution like you get in CM is a serious direct cause of many life threatening medical problems. It is also directly responsible for shortening the life spans of many who inhale the high levels of deadly PM 2.5 particles that you will soon be breathing again and this will last for months, contrary to what some of the uniformed will post that it only lasts a short time. 

Unless you can afford to take off for 3 to 4 months each year at the peak of this pollution, you definitely should consider moving and that is exactly what I did.  I only post with the hope that perhaps I can convince just one person/family to consider their health as their top priority before it is too late.  Believe me, there are a number of other place you can live in Thailand that are less polluted, less congested and offer all the same conveniences and needs you may have, just do a little research.  That's what I did and I'm much happier for it.

Doesn't bother me at all.

In fact the population is increasing many new people moving to the CM area.

You go on and on so much are you trying to justify in your mind your mistake of moving??

1 hour ago, Virtualrecluse said:

I feel that if this is to be the "new normal" i.e. a 6-month smoky season only halted by the rains

This is not new or different than any other year. It is completely normal that anytime there is no rain, even in the rainy season, the air quality deteriorates. Thus it is completely normal that half the year has markedly bad air quality. Anything that can be burned is burned. Every leaf and twig is swept up in a pile and burned with the plastic trash of the day. Cooking is most commonly done by fire or charcoal and these fires are started with things like old plastic shoes. When the temperatures go down to 80 F or so wood is burned to stay warm. While each such fire is small you have to multiply these fires by millions of people doing them. Then multiply again the cumulative effect of them doing it every day. That's a lot of pollution right there. The fields, forests, and major things tend to get burned at the peak of the dry season around March and that's when air quality becomes the worst because again it's cumulative on top of all the other pollution going on.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, XGM said:

Any recommendations for indoor air quality monitors?

The Sndway SW-825 model available from sellers on AliExpress for about $50 usually is an accurate and pretty reliable PM2.5 sensor, along with measuring temperature and relative humidity.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

The same model is sometimes also available from sellers on Lazada Thailand, but when I've shopped, their prices usually are considerably higher.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:44 AM, mrmillersr said:

If I said where I live there would be the typical derogatory comments from those living and staying in CM for whatever illogical reasons they have.  I'll just leave it at where I moved to you can breathe the air, it has all the conveniences and amenities of CM without the congested traffic and it takes less than 20 minutes to do my retirement visa each year.  Also, I find the people much more friendly and that includes both the locals and farang. 

I lived in Chiang Mai for over 15 years and it had its good points but then I slowly watched it go downhill. I think there are many more who feel like I do but won't admit it and either can't or won't make the move.  When I reflect back on it now, the part I enjoyed most about Chiang Mai was leaving it,  I only wish I did it sooner. 

I understand, but there are probably many like me who have made the mistake of moving to Chiang Mai in recent years and are now looking to move out after realizing how bad the smoke situation is (apart from all the other problems of the city). Don't know and don't care about those making derogatory comments regarding one's desire to not die from air pollution. All I know is that last year gunk was leaking out of my ear for 2 months due to inflamed sinuses from smoke, had to go hospital multiple times to get it sucked out. The year before that the skin on my hand disintegrated from eczema (first time in my life I had a skin issue). Had to be bandaged up like a leper. This year I am not chancing it. It's hard because I've invested into starting a business here, have to juggle it with my health. If you could suggest some good places in the region that don't suffer from crap air I would seriously appreciate it.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:18 PM, canopy said:

This is not new or different than any other year. It is completely normal that anytime there is no rain, even in the rainy season, the air quality deteriorates. Thus it is completely normal that half the year has markedly bad air quality. Anything that can be burned is burned. Every leaf and twig is swept up in a pile and burned with the plastic trash of the day. Cooking is most commonly done by fire or charcoal and these fires are started with things like old plastic shoes. When the temperatures go down to 80 F or so wood is burned to stay warm. While each such fire is small you have to multiply these fires by millions of people doing them. Then multiply again the cumulative effect of them doing it every day. That's a lot of pollution right there. The fields, forests, and major things tend to get burned at the peak of the dry season around March and that's when air quality becomes the worst because again it's cumulative on top of all the other pollution going on.

How do you tell Thai neighbors to stop burning without them getting mad at you?

Starting fires when there is local trash collection every week does not make any sense. Psychopathic pyromania is the only plausible explanation that comes to mind, because the vast majority of the burning is completely unnecessary, and they can get by totally fine without starting any fires.

20 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

How do you tell Thai neighbors to stop burning without them getting mad at you?

The first step in solving any problem is awareness so telling them is very important otherwise they go their whole life never knowing they are causing suffering. It is unlikely telling them will get them to quit but It is much better to tell them and have them be uneasy each time they burn rather than them be happy and proud polluting everyone's air. When dealing with a problem thai it's better to have someone else tell them about the problem rather than yourself. It can be a friend, a village head, police, anyone you want. This softens the blow and creates a firewall of sorts between you and them.

Been here for years (if you add up all my trips).....it's really the same from almost 10-years ago.  What has changed?  ME.  I'm a little more sensitive to the smoke, and I need some meds if allergies get bad.  

My advice.  Go to a town with GREAT air.  Just to remember that feeling.  I experienced it a few weeks ago, and it was like magic.  lol.  really.  I'm thinking that living in the mountains might be OK one month a year.  Before, it was 11 months.  I've changed.  

On 12/23/2018 at 9:11 AM, puukao said:

Been here for years (if you add up all my trips).....it's really the same from almost 10-years ago.  What has changed?  ME.  I'm a little more sensitive to the smoke, and I need some meds if allergies get bad.  

My advice.  Go to a town with GREAT air.  Just to remember that feeling.  I experienced it a few weeks ago, and it was like magic.  lol.  really.  I'm thinking that living in the mountains might be OK one month a year.  Before, it was 11 months.  I've changed.  

Were you away?  The past week has been truly excellent.  Crisp blue skies and you can see Doi Inthanon from town.

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

The past week has been truly excellent.

The clarity does seem a lot better for this time of year but "excellent" seems a little bit over the top. Air quality measurements are still in the yellow health zone and if you look straight out at the horizons the sky has a strong brownish color haze to it.

Just rode up the 107 through Fang, on to Thaton, and spent the night in Maesalong.  So much burning going on I had to resort to wearing a mask on the motorbike.  Arrived back in Chiang Mai and my clothes smelt of smoke.  Doesn't bode well for the upcoming smoky season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 3:03 PM, LolaS said:

AQI site is not the reliable or reputable source of information, their technology is not based on real-time in-situ measurement, they don't use sensors on the ground, they calculate from approximation from satellite images, These approximations cannot defer from water vapor and PM2.5 particles

If AQI is not a reliable site....what is the most reliable site for <2.5

On 5/30/2018 at 2:57 PM, bkk6060 said:

Like I said, i do not waste my time with machines.

All  good where i was, sorry you were not so fortunate.  Or, get those machines calibrated.

A human red blood cell is about 5 microns wide.

The dangerous particles we are talking about are less than 2.5 microns wide.

• 3 weeks later...

The last few days I don't think I smelled smoke in the air, very nice.  Of course it's pretty sad when "I don't think I will smell smoke today" because a necessary thought.  

anyhow, the second-half January has been very good.  so far

On 1/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, puukao said:

The last few days I don't think I smelled smoke in the air, very nice.  Of course it's pretty sad when "I don't think I will smell smoke today" because a necessary thought.  

anyhow, the second-half January has been very good.  so far

Instead of an answer.
Hello, my dear Daughter,

in SE Asia there are many fires.
And where there is fire, there is smoke.
And the smoke is often not healthy at all.

But bad air also comes from the areas around Bangkok
and/or Mae Sot or Mae Mo, but also from our
dear friends in China. - Especially from there.
Od course, depending where the wind comes from.

Also smog travels from India over the Andaman Sea.
Or enters the Kingdom these days from Cambodia. .
Or it is produced by the many stinky cars/bikes that drive around everywhere ...
Or it might come from our place, when we are burning some wood...

So, mai pen rai?

On 12/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, grin said:

Last week I saw the best PM 2.5 readings I've ever seen here. Two days in a row my monitor was reading from 8 to 10 both mornings.

Time to recheck the readings. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1081540-smog-crisis-bangkok-9th-worst-in-world-but-chiang-mai-not-far-behind/

10 minutes ago, canopy said:

Notice how their photo is taken at a sharp up angle to hide the smoggy horizon from view. Not fooled.

No, I don't notice that. The photo appears to be level, with half horizon, half blue sky, looking at a mountain in the distance and the view is crystal clear with no visible haze.

Archived