Low Ridership on Bell Bus to Pattaya

Banana7

On 18/02/2018 at 7:54 AM, watcharacters said:

What do you mean with your single word  two letter reply?

High season is not over or WHAT!!

Please elaborate if you can or are so inclined.

Thanks..

Edit:   I just recently told a friend who arrives soon about the Bell Bus service.   Has it undergone changes in the last couple of years?

It's the same. Just 250 baht. It was cheaper in the past, as with most things.

But still decent value for a door to door service.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 1:13 PM, Fat Prophet said:

The demand is there; it is rather the market at work. Bell has competition for transport to the airport, and their competition is beating them badly. The bus service in Jomtien at the Food Mart market is easier, less expensive and always has room,

It's the same company operating both routes (ROONG RUEANG COACH), as well as the North Pattaya regular Buses to Ekkamai and MorChit

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, The manic said:

It's not really jomtien. Its Thapraya Rd. The Baht bus goes straight to pattaya a minutes walk  over the Road. As for D2D service thats sounds dreadful. So many stops if the bus is busy and more change of getting your luggage stolen.

I believe you're confused on several fronts.  I think most people would agree that the bus station is in Jomtien.  But, on to Bell.  The D2D service is not dreadful at all--sounds like from your post you have never even tried it.  Going, a van picks you up right at your door and takes you to the bus to the airport at North Pattaya.  Coming back, the bus runs you from the airport to North Pattaya.  Then a van takes you right to your door--you aren't riding all around Pattaya in the airport bus dropping off 30 or more passengers.  My partner and I have used the service a number of times and like it.  I think the most riders we have ever had on the van was maybe 7 or 8.  Usually at least 2 couples in the van so maybe 5 or 6 stops at the most before you're at your door--assuming worse case and you end up last on the route.  

• Like 2

On 2/15/2018 at 12:06 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I understand you can't get a ticket at the airport anymore. 

Big mistake, IMO.

Apparently have to book ahead, which I won't do as too many unknowns when flying.

So now I'll use the other bus service which is cheaper and use the savings for baht bus instead. Still cheaper.

yes, several years ago they started requiring you reserve and Pay on line.  hell no.  I am not using my card for that.  I used to love and swear by their service.  The last few trips I took the cheaper bus that drops me off at the top of Pattaya Klang.  Or started my trip off with a few days in Bangkok and then took the bus from Ekamie to Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

?

Didn't you write earlier that the reason you didn't use them was that you thought there was no one around. Nothing to do with your airline schedule.

There wasn't.

I also wrote that they won't take passengers that don't book ahead, so why would I hang around waiting for the next bus on the off chance there is a spare seat, and that they would let me take it?

Their loss is the other bus service gain.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There wasn't.

I also wrote that they won't take passengers that don't book ahead, so why would I hang around waiting for the next bus on the off chance there is a spare seat, and that they would let me take it?

Their loss is the other bus service gain.

You are wrong.

There are there if they have buses running throughout the day. 

You could have just called them and asked about the seat availability.

If seats were available, they have an electronic device for their own use. 

I did just that and got on the bus.

Sometimes you need to use your loaf.

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

The reason the Bell bus stopped (legally) taking walk-up passengers at the airport has something to do with bus service licensing/regulation.  I may not have the technical terms right -- I tried to find where this was posted before on this forum and failed -- but it's something about a special permission needed for "bus" or "transport" services to be able to pick up passengers at the airport, and Bell is not categorized properly to obtain one.  ISTR that Bell is in a category of "charter" (or "limousine" transfer?) operators and hence cannot legally pick up walk-up passengers.  TiT, so for a number of years they got away with it, but somebody somewhere cracked down, and they had to stop.

This is indeed the reason that was quoted to me. They don't like it (obviously) but the airport controls are out of their sphere of influence, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tolsti said:

This is indeed the reason that was quoted to me. They don't like it (obviously) but the airport controls are out of their sphere of influence, 

That doesn't stop certain characters from spitting their dummies out because they can't just walk on as they want.

I think it has been made clear on this thread that an iPad may be available for 'just before' bookings. 

If it's a good service, support it. No need to act the prima donna.

I'll try to use it if I can. If not I'll use an alternative.

But I'm certainly not afraid to enter my credit card details on the website or to give them a call at the airport. Wow!

My CC provider will take care of any fraud on the account. No drama.

I decided the make the train trek to the BKK airport yesterday instead of taking the Ekamai bus to Pattaya. Change of pace but there's also the fact the Jomtien bus stops at Pattaya Klang and I live near the Big C Extra. So I walked home, stopping off at Harbor and Foodland for supplies.

Got to the Jomtien bus ticket lineup at 10:50 am. As I was waiting, they changed the Next Bus to 12 noon from 11:40. Found out a bit later there was also an 11:20 bus. So it's not just hourly; they can adjust to the number of passengers. Loads of Russians, by the way.

Once in Pattaya at the North Terminal I've never had much of a problem with getting to the hotel.  I've rarely waited more than 10 - 15 mins for the 50 baht songtaew to fill up and most times the journey has taken around the same time, even when dropping others off along the beach road or near Walking Street (I usually need to get dropped off near The Avenue Mall).  If I've got just a small bag I just grab a motorbike taxi outside the bus station or, if I really just can't be asked, use the Grab app on the phone to book a taxi to pick me up for the run to the hotel - normally 100-120 baht.

Same going back to the bus.  2 x songtaew trips to the bus station (if I can be bothered), motor bike taxi or Grab Taxi.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, KneeDeep said:

That doesn't stop certain characters from spitting their dummies out because they can't just walk on as they want.

I think it has been made clear on this thread that an iPad may be available for 'just before' bookings. 

If it's a good service, support it. No need to act the prima donna.

I'll try to use it if I can. If not I'll use an alternative.

But I'm certainly not afraid to enter my credit card details on the website or to give them a call at the airport. Wow!

My CC provider will take care of any fraud on the account. No drama.

You are going to a lot of trouble to try and prove that one can get a seat on Bell Bus as a walk on, when one can't.

Anyway, I see no need to quibble as you can continue to use them and I'll continue to use the other service which actually saves me a lot of money.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, SooKee said:

Once in Pattaya at the North Terminal I've never had much of a problem with getting to the hotel.  I've rarely waited more than 10 - 15 mins for the 50 baht songtaew to fill up and most times the journey has taken around the same time, even when dropping others off along the beach road or near Walking Street (I usually need to get dropped off near The Avenue Mall).  If I've got just a small bag I just grab a motorbike taxi outside the bus station or, if I really just can't be asked, use the Grab app on the phone to book a taxi to pick me up for the run to the hotel - normally 100-120 baht.

Same going back to the bus.  2 x songtaew trips to the bus station (if I can be bothered), motor bike taxi or Grab Taxi.

Sounds like we go to the same place, but since the police stopped the baht buses stopping anywhere, it's inconvenient with a big bag as the baht bus stop is not close to my hotel.

As I say, nothing gets better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are going to a lot of trouble to try and prove that one can get a seat on Bell Bus as a walk on, when one can't.

Anyway, I see no need to quibble as you can continue to use them and I'll continue to use the other service which actually saves me a lot of money.

Try to not be so obtuse. I'm telling you that we have booked whilst standing with the Bell staff at the airport and then walked on to the bus.

It still qualifies as pre-booking, so they aren't flouting the rules.

If you are incapable, don't worry about it. Both options are fine.

Friend arrived after 8pm so had to take the 389.

• Haha 1