Frenchman killed in motorcycle crash on Samui

webfact

Frenchman killed in motorcycle crash on Samui

By The Nation

t4(153).jpg

Picture: Tnews/77Jowo

A Frenchman who owned a few French restaurants on Kon Samui in Surat Thani was killed in a motorcycle crash Tuesday evening, police said.

Oliver Aunay, 54, a French citizen, died in the accident on Thawee Ratphakdee road in Moo 1 in Tambon Mae Nam of Samui district at 6pm.

Footage from a security camera showed that Aunay was riding his motorcycle when a motorcycle driven by a Thai man crossed the road, cutting his way.

The clip showed Aunay trying to stop his motorcycle, but it fell over and slid on the road until the Frenchman’s head hit a step pedal on the other motorcycle.

The other motorcyclist was identified as Pongpol Pinpat, 30. He claimed that he had already crossed the road halfway when Aunay's motorcycle sped towards him.

Aunay's friend told police that he was returning home from a meeting at a law firm in Tambon Maret on Ban Lamai beach to negotiate the sale of one of his French restaurants to a German.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338798

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-14

23 minutes ago, Darcula said:

Just for giving such a ridiculous excuse, they should double his fine to 1000 baht.

I have seen the video, the Thai was five seconds into turning right towards Bophut, accident happened at mid road. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, animatic said:

Clearly the other drivers fault. Pulling out before he has a proper place to enter his lane and abruptly blocking the right of way of Mr. Aunay.

If this were a civilized country I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is this lack of civility in driving is accepted by all Thai natives. It's the double-edged sword we all suffer. One of the most important factors in my deciding to leave the U.S. and move here was speed limits. I just can't obey them, and was spending too much money on raised insurance rates and speeding tickets. The obvious lack of give-a-damn by the Thai government from top to bottom means adherence to driving laws won't change any time soon. This doesn't negate what the Thai driver did, he was clearly wrong - from a logical, civilized point of view. Unfortunately, when in Rome ...

• Confused 2

Could not have described it better than @BEVUP

With an attitude like the French guy your chances are bad to survive on Thai streets.

And now think how long you would you have to wait for two completely clear lanes to cross over at such a street. Might become a long night.

7 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

to me I think the French guy was assuming that he may be clear by the time he got there

Obviously, he steers directly towards the other bike without a sign of reaction.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Video? The deceased had all the opportunity in the world to to move to his left and ride behind the guy. He was distracted by something. It pains me to say this but either the bike was not ABS equipped or it malfunctioned. ABS not withstanding the diseased was not riding with 100% of his faculties engaged in the activity of riding and yes he may have thought the guy would not be there when he got there but made no attempt to move to the left. Distracted.

Have to agree.  The deceased could have easily moved to his left or slowed down.  An easily avoidable accident, but instead, a needless death. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, quandow said:

If this were a civilized country I couldn't agree with you more. The problem is this lack of civility in driving is accepted by all Thai natives. It's the double-edged sword we all suffer. One of the most important factors in my deciding to leave the U.S. and move here was speed limits. I just can't obey them, and was spending too much money on raised insurance rates and speeding tickets. The obvious lack of give-a-damn by the Thai government from top to bottom means adherence to driving laws won't change any time soon. This doesn't negate what the Thai driver did, he was clearly wrong - from a logical, civilized point of view. Unfortunately, when in Rome ...

Spot on. All good points. I rather like the lack of accountability sometimes. But, the complete lack of traffic safety, and the astonishing degree of indifference on the part of the authorities is unfathomable. The things the drivers do here is often shocking. I am amazed by the number of times I see someone cutting in front of me, and then look, and there was nobody behind me. It was almost as if behaving in a reckless fashion was muscle memory, and taking care to do what he needed to do, to ensure his and my safety, was never even a consideration. Even when it meant only waiting 2 more seconds. 

On Samui, part of the reason for this kind of reckless driving is the incredible amount of congestion on the Ring Road. There is only one main road on the whole island. And it is only going to get worse. I lived there for many years. I saw how much more congested it got over the years. Samui is perhaps five years away from being as bad as SW Bali. Utter gridlock. While there visiting Bali, it took me over an hour to go 3 km on a motorbike. And most of that time was spent on the sidewalk, as the road was a parking lot. Unless the fabulously incompetent authorities do something visionary about public transportation (highly unlikely, as Samui is one of the least progressive places on earth), this is in their near future. 

• Like 1

Footage from a security camera showed that Aunay was riding his motorcycle when a motorcycle driven by a Thai man crossed the road, cutting his way.

why dose this not surprise me ?

i just looked the video the french man was very unlucky, i think he applied the front brake too much and or the road was wet or had sand on it as the front wheel went from under him.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sad accident.

He was wearing a helmet but probably a broken neck.

Very unlucky. With some luck he would have escaped with some bruises.

The other bike was almost over the center line and the French was quite fast and obviously realized the other bike quite late.

He had more than enough chance to avoid the situation.

The other bike rider used a sufficient gap in traffic to cross over.

Busy traffic, high speed, not looking forward.

An avoidable accident in an everyday situation.

Quite fast?????  Probably more than 45km/h ???? Anyway RIP. I never would take a bike in Thailand.. Just to be alive as long as possible 

Hard to guauge who was 100% at fault, The driver who survived Yes for not checking traffic to the right properly BUT the Frenchman had  some space  to at least slow or almost stop  and so I assume and can only assume he must have been accelerating at that point then suddenly realized "Sh..it this guys coming out" by then too late. In short shit happens RIP and all bikers  ride at a lower speed. More time to avoid morons.

RIP. But if I was on the jury I would have to find the Thai man innocent as the way the Thai man pulled out to turn happens a lot all over Thailand. It appears the French man was distracted and did not see him until too late  and it appears the French man was driving fast. The French man IMO had plenty of time to slow down or change lanes to avoid the collision.  But we all drive distracted sometimes but with so many motorbikes on the road this is not a place to drive distracted or fast. Tragedy for all involved.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animatic said:

Clearly the other drivers fault. Pulling out before he has a proper place to enter his lane and abruptly blocking the right of way of Mr. Aunay. Who appeared to be driving at the speed of other traffic on that direction.

Tres triste, RIP monseur A.

Not true at all,l I know on Thai visa the rule for many is Thais are wrong all the time, the French man did not fall for hitting the Thai motorcycle, but just a very short time before, for braking too much with his front brake. It is so clear looking at his front wheel skidding before the impact, I do not understand how everyone does not saw it clearly. Many motorcycles driver do not even know if the front brake is the right or the left one, on wet or even more on sandy roads like Samui the front brake must be used with great care. Apparently, the French man did not know and certainly did not do it. 

• Like 2