Pattaya bar fight: Key witness says Australian man beaten to death over “misunderstanding”

webfact

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

If you see, as a man, what you believe to be, someone harming a woman  then I think most of us would step in.  Pull the guy off and then establish what was going on.  Then kick the guy out of the bar and warn him you have marked his card.

In this case the moronic American used this as an excuse to beat the idiot Australian to death.  There is no justification for this murder.

I agree in principle with what you are saying and that most would want to prevent someone harming a lady. Sadly I've seen people over here get themselves in all sorts of trouble particularly with Thais for following this instinct. 

Im not sure in a bar in Soi 6 I would feel the same way. People get up to all sorts of "games" after a few shots and a lot of the girls partake for a few baht or a feee shot. In this case it may or may not have been a silly prank that went wrong who really knows. 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

If you see, as a man, what you believe to be, someone harming a woman  then I think most of us would step in.  Pull the guy off and then establish what was going on.  Then kick the guy out of the bar and warn him you have marked his card.

In this case the moronic American used this as an excuse to beat the idiot Australian to death.  There is no justification for this murder.

knee jerk reaction!

15 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I agree in principle with what you are saying and that most would want to prevent someone harming a lady. Sadly I've seen people over here get themselves in all sorts of trouble particularly with Thais for following this instinct. 

Im not sure in a bar in Soi 6 I would feel the same way. People get up to all sorts of "games" after a few shots and a lot of the girls partake for a few baht or a feee shot. In this case it may or may not have been a silly prank that went wrong who really knows. 

Totally agree and I have personally stopped a friend from Germany intervening when we were walking down Soi Bangla.  It was a bar girl being pushed down the road by her pimp kicking her in her back as they went.  In Thailand you do not intervene!  However I was thinking of the scenario of the drunken Farang virtually strangling the girl until her face was turning blue.  In that case you pull him off of her and then establish if it was just a game or not.  If it was a game you buy them both a drink and go on your way.  Interfering with a Thai man and woman having a domestic is another kettle of fish completely. 

4 hours ago, Media1 said:

He is a violent nutter who enjoys violence. You have to to inflict that ferocity in a fight where you know your opponent is weak. I had a large number of amature professional and a handful of street fights.This guy is a danger to society and should be caged for 20 years

How do you know that Robb was weak?

It seems to me that they are around the same age and in the few photos of him

he looks fit enough.

No one knows for sure what of to the altercation. A lot of speculation but no solid facts.

Even the idea that the guy was punched, thrown across the bar and stamped on 15 times in

20 seconds sounds unlikely. See for yourself how long it takes to stamp 15 times.

I know as much as anyone here about the sad event, which is 25% of eff all and suspect I won't

know much more in a week's time.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

What about the videos on 9News where you can see a Thai Police officer say that on the CCTV we can see the American punching the Australian, and then the American hitting the Australian again while he is down on the floor... Isn't he someone you could trust about the real story?

Did the Thai police officer confirm 15 stamps to the head and all the other things reported.

I am not on anyone's side here, it just seems to me that one early report of kicks to the

head multiple times hasn't been confirmed and could well be exaggerated or untrue

given the location. 

9 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Did the Thai police officer confirm 15 stamps to the head and all the other things reported.

I am not on anyone's side here, it just seems to me that one early report of kicks to the

head multiple times hasn't been confirmed and could well be exaggerated or untrue

given the location. 

Autopsy will tell but unlikely the facts will surface. 

On 14/02/2018 at 4:13 PM, RareDingo said:

I'm never sure about internet news, or any news anymore.  News outlets sometimes just trying to sell news, any news, to make a buck.  However, IF and I say IF this man has been charged with murder before (so young 42 to be out of jail), how they hell did he ever get a passport and how the hell did the Thai customs authorities ever let this piece of work into their country.  They are only asking for trouble, which they got, or more, some poor bastard on holiday's messing around with a Thai bar lady.  The mind boggles.  I hope the truth comes out, and those posting picks on social media are just as complicit in this crazy act as the boofhead who clearly has an anger management issue.  JMHO

Customs are the ones who stop you smuggling things into the country.

Immigration who are in control of who can enter the country have no way to know if anyone has been convicted of any crime from unpaid parking tickets right up to to 'serial killer' - there is no way to tell anything.

19 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Several members made the same kind of comment on the several topics about this murder. So why not take actions to stop this problem. What about a ban on alcohol in the whole Pattaya? :unsure:. That would solve a lot of problems. :smile:

OMG some people make unbelievable comments on this site

2 hours ago, HLover said:

Ageed, the bar girl is the best witness because they never lie and are renowned for telling the truth 100% of the time and being of the utmost moral character, their golden words cannot be tarnished with copious amounts of money or possible threats.

Indeed

In addition, as their social status in Thailand outranks senior police, they cannot be cowed or coerced into making untrue statements. Neither can what they say be simply ignored. The judge would demand their testimony, giving it greater weight than that of the police.

I could go on about moral courage as well.

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed

In addition, as their social status in Thailand outranks senior police, they cannot be cowed or coerced into making untrue statements. Neither can what they say be simply ignored. The judge would demand their testimony, giving it greater weight than that of the police.

I could go on about moral courage as well.

Well said, they are amazing.

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Although, do you believe that she actually "turned blue" .

Or that both her feet were actually off the ground??

There seems to be many versions to this. Even the head stomping. Was that confirmed too ??

Didn't a friend of the family state he died of injuries from his head hitting the floor.

1 minute ago, Straight8 said:

Or that both her feet were actually off the ground??

It has been known for guys to pick girls up by their neck, ears or head, whilst the girls are holding onto to the guys arms, so there no pressure anywhere and no harm done, done in a jovial manner

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Even the places that wont let you in, its usually a declaration on an application form, have ever been convicted of etc, you answer yes or no. You dont usually need to provide a police check or proof etc.

Thai immigration has no idea who is on an incoming plane, how can they. Do you really think airlines are sharing their bookings (that would be changing hourly) with Thai immigration ?

Yes, it’s called a Passenger Manafest, the Thai Immigration have access to each and every Passenger Manafest on flights entering Thailand. Same as ever other Immigration Department in the world,  in Australia and all other first world country the passengers listed on Nth Manafest are checked prior to arrival through shared databases. 

Do you really believe you can just lie on the forms and nobody will know, do you think really that each time you enter a western country your criminal history hasn’t been checked by that countries Immigration.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It has been known for guys to pick girls up by their neck, ears or head, whilst the girls are holding onto to the guys arms, so there no pressure anywhere and no harm done, done in a jovial manner

hmmm, probably a Soi 6 thing, haven't seen it in other places like Walking street...

5 hours ago, Chriss77 said:

I am hearing totally different reports. One reliable friend has informed me www.bangkokpost.com tell a different story, He also arrived at Ruby bar on Wed to suss out. He seems to think Old mate Rob may have been at fault. He said apparently he caused some strife in a bar on Soi 6 moments before.Cause of death was head hitting the floor.

I don't know. Just letting all know. Sad state of affairs regardless

If that story was true, it is stil Manslaughter and not an accident. 

19 minutes ago, cat handler said:

Yes, it’s called a Passenger Manafest, the Thai Immigration have access to each and every Passenger Manafest on flights entering Thailand. Same as ever other Immigration Department in the world,  in Australia and all other first world country the passengers listed on Nth Manafest are checked prior to arrival through shared databases. 

Do you really believe you can just lie on the forms and nobody will know, do you think really that each time you enter a western country your criminal history hasn’t been checked by that countries Immigration.

Yes, there is a passenger manifest available for the arriving plane, but you were responding to a semi-manual process of liasing and needing weeks.  The passenger manifest would be available just before takeoff for most countries, while I believe the US is suppose to be cut off a day or two before (not sure on the second point).  They know who is on the plane, but unless they have had previous dealings with them they won't really know them or their criminal records (with the exception of Canada to/from US).

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But why would a guy want to do that? Small d*** syndrome maybe?

1 hour ago, cat handler said:

Some years ago I was part of (about) a thirty man crew that went to Texas.... those that admitted prior indiscretions, did not come... those that lied on the forms, for the very same offenses, were included in the crew.

so... yer... I believe that they don’t check... peterw42 is correct (in my experience... and opinion)

as an after thought... if they had a means of checking, there would be no need for police clearances

42 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

A misunderstanding. I'm sure the dead man's family will be heartened to hear that. I wonder whether the American's previous conviction also resulted from a misunderstanding?

Reading the info that’s circulating regards this killers prior, it does lean towards the possibility that it was a misunderstanding

something about being paid 20 bucks to look at the victims car, then the victim is shot dead

the initial murder rap got him 12 years, but the charges were later downgraded, and he was released on probation (2 years served)

so a claim that there was a misunderstanding, which lent mitigating circumstances to the case, and saw this killer released, are quite plausible.

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I read a couple of pages and did not see it, perhaps it was answered on later pages but,

Never mind what someone says under unanimity. What did the waitress say?

???... bro... when you read the first couple of pages, you must have omitted to properly read the actual OP... here ya go. ?

“Ms Sangsuwan said that while it may have looked violent, her and Mr Robb were in fact “just joking” and that at no time did she feel threatened by the Australian.

Ms Sangsuwan said that others in the bar “misunderstood” the situation and thought that Mr Robb was being aggressive towards her.

It was this misunderstanding that caused Polanco to intervene and attack Mr Robb.”

Once a dirt bag, always a dirt bag.

Yes thats a very closed point of view/mind.  This ex crim is not a person I'd ever trust. For God's sake....who in their right mind stomps on a guys head once he's down?

Scum....that's who this mongrel is.

This Richard Cranium should spend is remaining breaths in Bangkok Hilton.  

Big tough guy will be crying once he gets sentenced.  Absolute waste of space....damn oxygen thief.

2 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Once a dirt bag, always a dirt bag.

Yes thats a very closed point of view/mind.  This ex crim is not a person I'd ever trust. For God's sake....who in their right mind stomps on a guys head once he I'd down?

Scum....that's who does this <deleted>.

This Richard Cranium should spend is remaining breaths in Bangkok Hilton.  

Big tough guy will be crying once he gets sentenced.  Absolute waste of space....damn oxygen thief.

He will have a very rude awakening when he gets sentenced and sees his new living conditions..... 

And the thais normally put leg irons on new prisoners to prevent suicide because when reality sinks in, that's what most people would choose... 

28 minutes ago, farcanell said:

???... bro... when you read the first couple of pages, you must have omitted to properly read the actual OP... here ya go. ?

“Ms Sangsuwan said that while it may have looked violent, her and Mr Robb were in fact “just joking” and that at no time did she feel threatened by the Australian.

Ms Sangsuwan said that others in the bar “misunderstood” the situation and thought that Mr Robb was being aggressive towards her.

It was this misunderstanding that caused Polanco to intervene and attack Mr Robb.”

Yes but the OP is somewhat confusing.

If the waitress said that  then why are they quoting an anonymous witness?

Not saying that I know, just wondering.

But even if it is true , the american did not know that, and it is immaterial, Unless of course the waitress yelled at him and told him to" stop we are joking" did any one reported that she did ?and by that time it might be too late for the American as he was involved in a fight and as far as he was concerned at that point   was defending  his life.regardless if the inciting incident was a jock or not.

Again I don't know any of that,I was not there, I could be totally wrong. Just wondering about the above.

Archived