How to get a list of correspondent banks for Bangkok Bank?

I am trying to deal with a payment service in Singapore, who will be sending repeating USD payments to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

They are refusing to do a SWIFT transfer until I provide them with a list of correspondent banks suitable for a transfer to Bangkok Bank. This is their procedure and they won't budge. They told me to get this from my bank, which I dutifully tried. I called 1331, and explained I wanted a list of correspondent banks. I was placed on hold for 30 minutes, and then hung up on. I tried calling again, and this time the representative did not speak English well enough to understand my question. I tried a third time, and all I got was someone who kept trying to tell me about their New York service, but just couldn't understand that I needed a list of every correspondent bank they have, not just their preferred one.

I was extremely frustrated and before I became belligerent,  I thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows how to accomplish this.

Has anyone ever successfully obtained a list of correspondent banks for Bangkok Bank, and do you have any recommendations on how I can go about getting this elusive list?

Any help is appreciated.

Can't help with the list you are asking for, but it sure sounds like your Singapore payment service is one lazy service....they can find/lookup that info themselves in accomplishing the transfer.    I can understand why "any" customer such as yourself being asked to provide such info would react like a "Deer in the Headlights."    I expect they would have asked for such info regardless of Thai bank you wanted to transfer to.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Pib said:

Can't help with the list you are asking for, but it sure sounds like your Singapore payment service is one lazy service....they can find/lookup that info themselves in accomplishing the transfer.    I can understand why "any" customer such as yourself being asked to provide such info would react like a "Deer in the Headlights."    I expect they would have asked for such info regardless of Thai bank you wanted to transfer to.

Agree wholeheartedly  with your first line Pib however I always thought it was the sending bank that picked the intermediary bank it was going to use anyway? Certainly my experience dealing with transfers out of the UK and China. Hence why posters encounter issues when asking their receiving bank where some fees have been taken and getting blank looks.

Agree with topt.

It's the sending bank that uses the intermediary, or correspondent, bank which usually depends on where the receiving bank is located and which one it is.

When Lloyds Intl sends to my UOB bank in Thailand they use Barclays London.

When I used to send to Kasikorn Bank they used National Westminster.

Asking the receiving bank would result in a list of dozens if not hundreds of banks worldwide.

2 hours ago, topt said:

Agree wholeheartedly  with your first line Pib however I always thought it was the sending bank that picked the intermediary bank it was going to use anyway? Certainly my experience dealing with transfers out of the UK and China. Hence why posters encounter issues when asking their receiving bank where some fees have been taken and getting blank looks.

Sure...they would choose the intermediary bank to use but it should be an intermediary bank that both the Sending and Receiving bank use to speed-up the transfer and reduce possible intermediary fees. Try to avoid the situation of the chosen intermediary bank also not having a banking relationship with the receiving bank and then that intermediary bank needing to relay the funds to another intermediary bank that does have a relationship with the receiving bank.   

USD transfers need to go through a first party that is registered with the FED and has a dedicated routing number.

A quick google tells that for Bangkok Bank it is their NY branch

Intermediary:

BKKBUS33

BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED, NEW YORK

Account with:

BKKBTHBK 

BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED, BANGKOK

A/C - your account number.

People also ask

What is the routing number for Bangkok Bank?

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your US transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services.

Bangkok Bank's USD correspondent is JP Morgan Chase.  They clearly state that in their standard settlement instructions:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/download/ssi.pdf

The document seems to be 11 years old, but since it clearly visible at their own website (and 1st result in Google for "Bangkok Bank SSI") I have to believe it is valid.

FX & MM settlement instructions are normally valid also for payments unless stated otherwise.

Foreign branches of banks quite seldom operate in the payments field (I know Bangkok bank does, but the service is very limited), the branches are there for access to local markets (FX & MM mainly) and to serve corporate customers.

1 hour ago, koo said:

Bangkok Bank's USD correspondent is JP Morgan Chase.  They clearly state that in their standard settlement instructions:

The document seems to be 11 years old, but since it clearly visible at their own website (and 1st result in Google for "Bangkok Bank SSI") I have to believe it is valid.

FX & MM settlement instructions are normally valid also for payments unless stated otherwise.

Foreign branches of banks quite seldom operate in the payments field (I know Bangkok bank does, but the service is very limited), the branches are there for access to local markets (FX & MM mainly) and to serve corporate customers.

You're right, I stand corrected. Didn't see the SSI PDF.

On 2/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, koo said:

Thanks koo. This is exactly what they wanted. I guess if I had known the correct acronym to use was "SSI" this would have been much easier.

Really appreciate it. This could have gone on for a while without your help.

Archived