Thai restaurant owner pleads guilty to exploiting four Thais for cheap labor

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai restaurant owner pleads guilty to exploiting four Thais for cheap labor

c2.png

On Wednesday, an Oregon man originally from Thailand admitted to abusing four Thai nationals who worked at his two Thai restaurants in the US.

Paul Jumroon, also known by his Thai name, Veraphon Phatanakitjumroonm, pleaded guilty to forced labor, visa fraud conspiracy, and filling a false federal income tax return, according to The United States Department of Justice.

Between 2011 to 2014, Jumroon fraudulently obtained E-2 visas to bring four Thais into the US to provide cheap labor at his two restaurants: Curry in a Hurry in Oswego, Oregon, and Teriyaki Thai in Ridgefield, Washington.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-restaurant-owner-pleads-guilty-exploiting-four-thais-cheap-labor/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-02-16

I don't know?

All of them are still in the United States and probably working, as I doubt they would leave willingly, and nobody said they were forced out.

Made (American) Minimum Wage during those 3 years working in a Restaurant Working 12 hours a day 7 days a week, which many do here anyway. But not near that wage.

All got a about 1 Milion Baht in Back Pay besides there normal wages and for 3 years of service. Doubt they could save that here in that time no matter how much they worked in there trade, and in only 3 years. 

Kinda hard for me to see a sad story to this ending.