Post I never thought I'd Write

Gonzo the Face

11 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

No Gonzo is the original guesthouse and restaurant near the river.

It's next to the Embassy Condos.

Gonzo is not the original Pun Pun proprietor. I`m sure the Pun Pun has been operating as a guesthouse and restaurant for almost 30 years. I think prior to Gonzo it was run by an English guy, John Moore, and can`t remember who John Moore purchased it from? I can remember when at every rainy season it used to flood.

Back 15 years and more, it was a very popular Farlang hang out in Chiang Mai. It was there well before the Dukes and the Red Lion.

To try and clear up the last couple posts.   To the facts as I have been told by the land owner,  The Pun Pun has been here approx 34 years now.  The first 12 years had 8 different owners.  I did buy the business from John and Dang Moore   [ and baby Demi ] just about 22 years ago now.   I have been at this time at The Pun Pun location longer than at any other location I have lived in all my life.  It has become a part of my soul and my heart is breaking knowing it is time to move on.  With my own health difficulties I do sincerely hope that I can find someone with health problems  of their own, to take over and receive the health card goldmine , as I have been able too.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

With my own health difficulties  I do sincerely hope that I can find someone with health problems  of their own, to take over and receive the health card goldmine , as I have been able too.

:smile: Ok that is one of the most odd things that I have ever read

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

More details on this "health card goldmine" would be interesting

To answer those asking this or similar questions....if you're sincerely interested  stop by The Pun Pun and we can chat back and forth.  By its nature its not something one cane readily do by typing back and forth.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

With my own health difficulties I do sincerely hope that I can find someone with health problems  of their own, to take over and receive the health card goldmine , as I have been able too.

Good luck Gonzo.

If you're referring to Social Security, don't forget to sign up to pay on your own.  I think you have 6 months to do that.  Very inexpensive.  As you said, a goldmine.

Terry

16 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

To try and clear up the last couple posts.   To the facts as I have been told by the land owner,  The Pun Pun has been here approx 34 years now.  The first 12 years had 8 different owners.  I did buy the business from John and Dang Moore   [ and baby Demi ] just about 22 years ago now.   I have been at this time at The Pun Pun location longer than at any other location I have lived in all my life.  It has become a part of my soul and my heart is breaking knowing it is time to move on.  With my own health difficulties I do sincerely hope that I can find someone with health problems  of their own, to take over and receive the health card goldmine , as I have been able too.

Sadly, the success rates of western restaurant owners in Chiang Mai selling up and the name continued on by a new buyer have been poor.

I can remember the Olde Bell in the LK, tried for ages to sell the restaurant and in the end was unsuccessful, must have sold at a great loss. Don`t know what became of the owner, his name escapes me now, but never heard of him again.

Considering the Pun Pun has been part of the CM scene for many years and has a good reputation, maybe a company would be interested in buying and keeping the restaurant in it`s present format, hiring a manager to run it, but I think it`s going to be difficult finding a new stand alone buyer to take it over.

Hope you do, and sincerely wishing you a successful sale.

Hey Cyber, last time I looked The Pun Pun was not just a restaurant, it was a guest house too. Plus it is on the river.  I think that makes it very different from what you have described.  It has the potential to interest a higher level of buyer. 

• Like 2

Hey Gonzo,

We never met but I must let you know you made a difference in my life which I have taken with me since my time in CM.

I arrived in CM around 2011 an obese, burnt out busted a** offshore oil and gas worker and left last year fitter and stronger than I've ever been in my life. Kicking the drink, starting to exercise and learning what good food was while in Thailand changed my life, and your restaurant was one of the places I learnt what good food was.

Fresh veg, salads, tasty fruit drinks and even desserts like I never seen before. I slowed down and learnt to appreciate every bite as if my life depended on it...and it did.

Thanks again and don't be ashamed of moving on. You did more than you thought you did.

Much appreciated.

Ps, I now work for a government protective services department in which I had to pass an intense physical stress test to qualify, thats how much you help me change. Thanks again.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2020 said:

Hey Gonzo,

We never met but I must let you know you made a difference in my life which I have taken with me since my time in CM.

I arrived in CM around 2011 an obese, burnt out busted a** offshore oil and gas worker and left last year fitter and stronger than I've ever been in my life. Kicking the drink, starting to exercise and learning what good food was while in Thailand changed my life, and your restaurant was one of the places I learnt what good food was.

Fresh veg, salads, tasty fruit drinks and even desserts like I never seen before. I slowed down and learnt to appreciate every bite as if my life depended on it...and it did.

Thanks again and don't be ashamed of moving on. You did more than you thought you did.

Much appreciated.

Ps, I now work for a government protective services department in which I had to pass an intense physical stress test to qualify, thats how much you help me change. Thanks again.

Not saying that good diet and exercise aren't a factor and they are certainly important, but IMO the most significant difference you made was not poisoning yourself with alcohol. The rest followed.

Something most of us don't consider is getting enough proper sleep to be healthy.

• Like 1

Not saying that good diet and exercise aren't a factor and they are certainly important, but IMO the most significant difference you made was not poisoning yourself with alcohol. The rest followed.
Something most of us don't consider is getting enough proper sleep to be healthy.
Sleep is free medicine. I feel brand new in the morning after a long cycle the day before

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Sadly, the success rates of western restaurant owners in Chiang Mai selling up and the name continued on by a new buyer have been poor.

I can remember the Olde Bell in the LK, tried for ages to sell the restaurant and in the end was unsuccessful, must have sold at a great loss. Don`t know what became of the owner, his name escapes me now, but never heard of him again.

Considering the Pun Pun has been part of the CM scene for many years and has a good reputation, maybe a company would be interested in buying and keeping the restaurant in it`s present format, hiring a manager to run it, but I think it`s going to be difficult finding a new stand alone buyer to take it over.

Hope you do, and sincerely wishing you a successful sale.

Why do you think that when you probably don't even know how much it is for sale for ?

"With my own health difficulties I do sincerely hope that I can find someone with health problems  of their own, to take over and receive the health card goldmine , as I have been able too."

Unfortunately, I am not sick enough to consider buying your business, and as a foreigner, I can't own the land anyway. 

A couple of thoughts: 

* I am not sure, but the times I have driven by and looked in, I have almost never seen any customers there. Is the restaurant profitable and is the guest house even operating? 

* I don't understand the need to leave. You say you need to live close to the northern border, which could mean Laos or Myanmar -- why the mystery? Moveover, you can get over the border if you want from here in a matter of hours. You say it's something about your Lao/Burmese wife being closer to home, but I assume you have been together in Chiang Mai for years, so what is the urgency or need to be closer to the border? 

* If you have lived in the same place (and employment) for 22 years, it seems to me that regardless of health concerns (which you say are marvelously taken care of by the Thai system), staying put would be much better for your well being. Uprooting yourself after all that time, and in weaker health, would put anyone under a huge amount of stress and profound feelings of loss. If the restaurant and environment there is part of your "soul," then leaving it behind when you most need a touchstone sounds counterproductive. 

* I'm still a little confused about the exact reason you want to leave. Is it because you are so sick you cannot operate even the restaurant part of the business? Or do you need critical care that can be better obtained somewhere in the far North? 

• Confused 1

Well, it is the internet and this is a public forum. If you want things private, I suggest you not post about your private life here, or anywhere. 

Having said that, my main point was that from personal experience (and while in good health) the last move I made (after being in the same, super cool place in Thailand for only seven years) was traumatic. Having to leave a place that was really "home" and had all the memories and "soul" was an experience I do not want to repeat (but will most likely have to at some point). 

What I am saying is that moving away from a 22-year home base might seem the right thing to do on the face of it, but on further reflection -- is it really the best thing? 

Obviously, there are factors at work which you and I are not aware of, so we can only go on the information provided. 

The OP seems like a decent person and his posts have borne this out. 

I am just posing a personal view that maybe staying put is actually not only a better idea, but a workable one. I am sure many in the ThaiVisa Forum community would be willing to outreach and help the OP to stay, if that was needed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Well, it is the internet and this is a public forum. If you want things private, I suggest you not post about your private life here, or anywhere

I totally agree with that.  As far as I am concerned, social media is a dangerous, mind rotting timesink that's affecting millions in unforeseen* and detrimental ways!

I wasn't trying to call you out on this.  It's just that way back in #28, in response to mounting speculative posts Gonzo gave us some background to his reasons and concludes with "Enough of that...".  which makes me suspect that it's all he wants to say about the issue, in this forum at least.  That's all.

*Excepting Black Mirror season 3 episode 1, perhaps :smile:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I am not sure, but the times I have driven by and looked in, I have almost never seen any customers there. 

I drive by occasionally too.  It is just not possible to see the seating for the restaurant or into the office or into the guest house rooms from driving by on the road.  All you see is some transition space which like the lobby of a hotel is often empty or mostly empty.

Not sure why he started the OP on a discussion forum if he doesn't want to discuss - weird.

By the way, I have absolutely no interest in his reasons for closing/moving/taking a poo. I just wanted to point out the obvious inconsistency. No doubt the next post will be from a Mod announcing that he has asked for the thread to be closed - weirder.

I think you will find that the OP was not so much wanting a discussion but informing those that know him or of his business of his decision to 'move on'.

My reply here is really a repeat of what canthai55 has just posted.

In regards what Gonzo has written about his health and the support he has received from the Thai system, he wishes to pass this knowledge on.  As Gonzo has said...it's easier to do at his place face to face rather than a 1000 txt messages or emails.

Knowing John (Gonzo), he doesn't have an alterior motive other than imparting his vast knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possibly why this is in the Chiang Mai forum.....and for people who know John and the Pun Pun.

Unless this is an outreach programme?  [emoji847]
Personally i don't bother looking in the obscure sections for things that may be interesting i just look at latest posts. I imagine this health gold mine isn't just for Chiang Mai. Not sure why you need to be ill though