No more official Honda dealership (Anupas) in Phuket

meinphuket

I'm sure that there will be some form of definitive release of information through the local media in the coming days, rather than the Facebook posts that have been made.   My wife's Accord was bought from the Chaofa West outlet and has had all it's servicing done there so we're more than a little interested.

As an aside, apparently their decision relates only to the Honda franchise, and not the Mazda one which they also own.   Must admit, I've seen a lot more new Mazda's on the road recently than I have Honda's.

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

I'm sure that there will be some form of definitive release of information through the local media in the coming days, rather than the Facebook posts that have been made.   My wife's Accord was bought from the Chaofa West outlet and has had all it's servicing done there so we're more than a little interested.

As an aside, apparently their decision relates only to the Honda franchise, and not the Mazda one which they also own.   Must admit, I've seen a lot more new Mazda's on the road recently than I have Honda's.

Phuketgazette has a article about it and it looks like that it's confirmed. Closure from 1 March.

https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/anupas-announces-farewell-honda-cars-phuket

Announce on 17th Feb 2018 that closing 11 days later seems very abrupt for a business model.

Maybe fallout with Honda ??

But they announce that the 3 locations will still be used in their overall 15 business strategy.

One has to wonder .... 

35 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/anupas-announces-farewell-honda-cars-phuket

Announce on 17th Feb 2018 that closing 11 days later seems very abrupt for a business model.

Maybe fallout with Honda ??

But they announce that the 3 locations will still be used in their overall 15 business strategy.

One has to wonder .... 

Indeed not normal business practice to close down a business within 11 days, specially for a business like Honda. 

First Chevrolet and now Honda ??

I hope somebody will pick up the pieces otherwise i have to find a third party garage for my regular service.

Sounds like a falling out with Honda. They have been expanding their Honda showrooms recently, so very much doubt it is something else. Unless they've taken over another brand dealership that looks more promising to them. But seriously doubt that.

In December the Bypass rd Honda dealership is for rent amd empty. Only a year after they built it. The writing was on the wall back then.
Honda Phuket is very different to Honda Bangkok. You have competition.
They give you free stuff to win your business but in Phuket they had the monopoly and treated people with contempt because there was no other place to go for service.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

In December the Bypass rd Honda dealership is for rent amd empty. Only a year after they built it. The writing was on the wall back then.
Honda Phuket is very different to Honda Bangkok. You have competition.
They give you free stuff to win your business but in Phuket they had the monopoly and treated people with contempt because there was no other place to go for service.

In that case it's difficult to understand why someone who had a monopoly would give it up.

In that case it's difficult to understand why someone who had a monopoly would give it up.
Could be Honda don't want them to be franchisee anymore but spared the loss of face and they "retired"
The complaints out of Phuket could have forced Honda's hand and take control.
Much like BMW did with Yontrakit many years ago.
Yontrakit was abysmal and BMW was getting bad rep. Took the franchise back.

Don't cry for Anunpus though. They still have Ford and Mazda Phuket locked down.

Could be Honda don't want them to be franchisee anymore but spared the loss of face and they "retired"
The complaints out of Phuket could have forced Honda's hand and take control.
Much like BMW did with Yontrakit many years ago.
Yontrakit was abysmal and BMW was getting bad rep. Took the franchise back.

Don't cry for Anunpus though. They still have Ford and Mazda Phuket locked down.

Well if that's true then it's in Honda's interests to sell cars in Phuket and maintain their reputation so let's hope they've got something else in place.

1 hour ago, trd said:
1 hour ago, sebastion said:

Well if that's true then it's in Honda's interests to sell cars in Phuket and maintain their reputation so let's hope they've got something else in place.

There is a rumour that Anuphas are taking over the Mercedes franchise in Phuket.

Anupas also announcement according Phuket Gazette that they will continue as a independent car maintenance and repair shop for all type of cars.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/anuphas-vividhkarn-withdrawal-leaves-phuket-without-honda-dealers-66021.php?news-alert=1#wlbacFEtQbQgzeHL.97

And that Honda Thailand will reinstate a new official Honda Phuket dealership soon.

But the tone of Anupas does not sound very friendly towards Honda Thailand.

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Who cares. They hate falangs. Always asking 50% down payments. Toyota gave me 10%. Anyways, good luck with the Honda owners. I hope you will be taken care of.

Sorry but i don't know what you mean.

I never paid more then 5000 Baht down payment for my new Accord and City and received very good service over the years.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:51 AM, merijn said:

Is the new location maybe the old Proton garage ?

According to the map it is the old Opel/Chevrolet garage. That reminds me of my Astra Caravan, which I bought there in 1994. I really loved that car.

• 1 month later...

BMW terminated more than one previous dealer in Phuket

Chevrolet terminated their Phuket dealer

Ducati terminated the old Phuket dealer

And I'm sure there are others

I'm pretty sure that this is also a case of Honda terminating the dealership. Anuphas wouldn't build two big new showrooms (Bypass Rd and near the monument circle going towards Cherng Talay), filled them with cars and then drop them. Honda has tons and tons of cars in Phuket and Anuphas had a monopoly. That's a money printing license. You can't tell me the economic situation in Phuket is so bad as to make this business not be worth its weight in gold. Anuphas said they had already other business planed for their showrooms but why is the Bypass Rd showroom for sale then?

And if it's indeed Honda terminating their dealership license on such short notice after 32 years, leaving their customers without official dealership, then only because of something extremely serious.

Speaks volumes about the businesses here.

• 1 month later...

I tried to make a reservation at the new Honda garage (Maliwan Honda) but according to my wife they don't do bookings for car service and they say that you just have to show up in the morning to get your car serviced.

I find this hard to believe but you never know. (can somebody confirm this)

As both cars are out of their warranty i'm looking for a trustworthy independent car garage where i can service my cars.

Preferable around Kathu area but i'm willing to go wherever he is if required.

If they can speak some English this would be perfect.

Just now, merijn said:

I tried to make a reservation at the new Honda garage (Maliwan Honda) but according to my wife they don't do bookings for car service and they say that you just have to show up in the morning to get your car serviced.

Did booking last week for car inspection next month without problems. 

As both cars are out of their warranty i'm looking for a trustworthy independent car garage where i can service my cars.

You weren't able to make a booking at the now deceased Anuphas Honda either. You just had to turn up and that was never a problem.

Just now, trd said:
Just now, merijn said:

You weren't able to make a booking at the now deceased Anuphas Honda either. You just had to turn up and that was never a problem.

Always had bookings at Anuphas in all the years....

The old Anuphas showroom on the way to Cherng Talay is still completely empty, the one on Bypass road is still for sale and the main one on Chao Fah West road seems to have a sign "Old Phuket" or something along the lines with chinese style decoration. They clearly didn't plan this, contrary to what they claimed in the press. A taxi driver mentioned to me that there was a pretty huge argument with Honda Thailand over something which exploded in their face and killed the franchising.

I really hope a second dealer opens for Honda because the new one from Maliwan doesn't seem big enough to be able to service all Hondas in the region. Unfortunately Honda Thailand stated that they don't plan to do so in the near future...

I have to say that sometimes Honda Thailand is making very strange decisions. I experience this mostly with their Bigwing department (e.g. restricting their top supersport bike to nearly two thirds of normal power in Thailand for no reason or advertising a bike with white color scheme everywhere just to then exclude said color from sales...) but I'm sure their car department also does similar weird things.

Archived