Where are the good areas to look for a house rental in Hua Hin?

Farang ATM

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read this post.  We have been to Thailand a number of times and love it but are newbies to Hua Hin. Our web searching rates Hua Hin very highly as a nice place to spend some time. We hope to stay for about two years and would like to rent a 2/3 bed house. Is there a "Goldilocks" area to start looking. ie. An area that is reasonably close to supermarkets and shopping, close to the beach, in a safe neighborhood and has reasonable monthly rent.

Any suggestions from experienced Hua Hin residents or expats is most welcome.

Cheers.

The number one issue will be : How do you plan on getting around once you're here ?

Khao Takiab is a decent area but it's a bit quiet down there in the quiet times of the year and you will need transport if you want to go shopping in town, etc.

As for finding somewhere to live, forget the online places, they're for tourists. You need to go there, ask people in bars, etc and walk around looking for 'for rent' notices in apartment receptions or on house gates.

There are 3 or 4 bedroom townhouses available for 15,000 / month. I know this because I live in one right now.

You could also rent a small hotel type room for the same amount in the same street just a few hundred meters away. Separating the genuine offers from the greedy offers is something that definitely needs a bit of on the ground research.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Khao Takiab is quiet, year-round, but especially in the low season. But there is a frequent songthaew  year-round that you can take to town for 10 baht, so transport is not a show-stopper. And bicycles are a good option in HH for short trips.

Your first issue is transportation. If you plan on walking, cycling and taking 'public' transportation then your options run pretty close to town from Takiab in the south to Naekehart area or possibly 'Sip Gao Rai' in the north. From the railway line and just over in the west to the sea in the east. Mainly older town houses, some bungalows but generally limited if any common facilities. Hence the comment about suites in hotels.

If you are going to have a scooter, many more exist, a car then all options work.

The problem is the cost of taxis or tuk-tuks. From say Market Village anywhere is at least Bt150 for 1 km. Night market to Takiab would cost Bt200-300. High season even more. Waiting times and ability to call cabs add to the issues.

Over 2 or more years, considering the rainy season conditions for several months a year, cost of owning or even renting a vehicle could be offset by cheaper or better accommodation options that would be workable with a small second hand car or truck.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

The number one issue will be : How do you plan on getting around once you're here ?

Bang on with that. Sidewalks (US) / pavements / footpaths (ROW), are rare and even where they exist, are often blocked, so even a short walk means negotiating quite heavy traffic with some questionable driving standards. Independent transport of some kind is pretty much a non-negotiable item wherever you are in Hua Hin (and Thaland in general IMHO). Distances (from your home to the shops, markets, bars, golf courses, beaches whatever), and your resilience to weather of varying kinds will determine whether a motorcycle or a car. Relying on public transport taxis and motorcycle taxis as well as being expensive, gets old after a while, and you will frequently find none available when you want one - at any cost.

I have gone to Hua Hin for past 3 years during Christmas (last year for 6 weeks).  We stayed near Takiab, and agree that it's also like that area.  An easy 10 min motorbike to "town".  (You can rent a motorbike for 3k/month).  My suggestion is to go, rent a place for a month and snoop around Takiab area, west of the city and maybe even north (Soi 9) and look for yourself before committing to 2 years.  Heck, there's even places on or near the many golf courses if that's your thing.

Personally, I think it would be fun to try 6 months in Hua Hin, then the north or Thailand and also the south, but that's me. 

Not an easy question to answer and as others have stated a lot depends on what you plan to use for transportation.  I’ve lived in HH for 4 years and have been asking myself the same question for most of that time (though my standards are a bit high).  It also depends on what you consider a “reasonable” monthly rent.

I agree with UKrules concerning real estate company websites, but for different reasons.  I have spent many hours checking their listings and sending inquiries.  Most if not all of the photos you’ll see were taken when the properties were brand new.  The reality is that many of the properties look quite different now.  In addition, the monthly rent will be higher as companies will charge a monthly fee for managing the property.

I lived in a nice condo in Khao Takiab for 2 years and rented directly from the owner.  Bu the rent was not cheap by some people’s standards (27000B/month on a 1 year renewable contract).  And many condo owners get away with renting to tourists; which I personally got tired of since some tourists couldn’t care less about being considerate of others the way long term residents are more likely to be.

I now live in a nice 2 bedroom house in a peaceful gated community not far from downtown and the 2 large shopping malls.  But I’m paying 28000B/month on a 1 year renewable contract, have my own car and am basically managing the property myself (with the help of my Thai girlfriend) for the owner who lives in the UK.  And I was lucky to find the house via a former co-worker of my girlfriend.

Bottom line: it’s probably not an easy as you might have hoped, especially if you prefer a house rather than condo and do not plan on purchasing a car or motorbike.  If personal transportation is not in your budget, there is a neighborhood of 2 bedroom duplexes with community pool and security code controlled entry gate that is walking distance from soi 94.  From there you could take the 10B white “baht bus” to other areas.  The company I contacted was responsive but I never went to check any of the units as they looked somewhat small (based on the photos) so I don’t know anything about condition or price. I may have saved an email so PM me if you want me to check.

If you can drive a motorbike then rent one for a month & check out the many housing estates (moo bahn) which often have signs for rent by the owners. Many have swimming pools & some even have their own transport, monthly rents should be B15,000 to B20,000. But definitely don’t commit to a long term rental contract until your 100% sure about the location, neighbours, etc. There are lots of condos around Sois 88 to 94 for B5,000 per month where you can stay while looking.

Good luck.

not so much in khao takiab, apart from the beach i think.  if you want to be near bars, restaurants and the two shopping centres, plus not far from the beach, then look at soi's 88, 94 and 102.  this is where a high proportion of farangs stay now.

a good place to look for houses / condos where you can rent straight from the owner is the many hua hin facebook groups.  

good luck and enjoy hua hin :)

• Like 2

On 2/18/2018 at 7:44 PM, ukrules said:

Khao Takiab is a decent area but it's a bit quiet down there in the quiet times of the year and you will need transport if you want to go shopping in town, etc.

As for finding somewhere to live, forget the online places, they're for tourists. You need to go there, ask people in bars, etc and walk around looking for 'for rent' notices in apartment receptions or on house gates.

There are 3 or 4 bedroom townhouses available for 15,000 / month. I know this because I live in one right now.

You could also rent a small hotel type room for the same amount in the same street just a few hundred meters away. Separating the genuine offers from the greedy offers is something that definitely needs a bit of on the ground research.

Do you mind if I ask where you live? I rent a 3 Bed townhouse on Soi 88 for 13K/Month,  I am looking to move (issues with the landlord) and am looking for something similar to what I have now

11 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Do you mind if I ask where you live? I rent a 3 Bed townhouse on Soi 88 for 13K/Month,  I am looking to move (issues with the landlord) and am looking for something similar to what I have now

I live in the Nong Kae / Takiab area, there's a load of places to rent all around what I refer to as 'Takiab' which stretches from the Ibis hotel all the way down to the end of the road which has the large beach near the big Jamjuree condo complex.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I live in the Nong Kae / Takiab area, there's a load of places to rent all around what I refer to as 'Takiab' which stretches from the Ibis hotel all the way down to the end of the road which has the large beach near the big Jamjuree condo complex.

Cheers, I know there are good deals in that area but I have to come into town everyday, I only ride a bicycle so to far for me

Things to be aware of . Some areas have frequent water outages and can go days without water . Some areas flood during rainy season . A major problem in Hua Hin are the weekend party houses if you live near one prepare to have some sleepless nights . The beaches are nice foods good . My wife and I lasted three months down there then moved back to Chiang Mai. Hua Hin also has an abundance of soi dogs .