Thai driver's license?

17 hours ago, davhend25 said:

Yes, it does seem a bit inconsistent to me as well.  This stuff happens, with bureaucratic entities in the U.S. as well; just not as often as here, and it's in English, so I can eventually sort it out.

The problem for me is that I don't have a car, and there is virtually no public transportation between where I live and these offices in Chanthaburi. My Thai wife's sister has been taking us there when she has time, but this is only about once a month. If I had a car, I would go to these offices everyday and just camp out until everything that I needed was clear or in hand. When I try to call, I just get native Thai speakers and nothing gets accomplished.  

At some point in next 3 or 4 months I will need to visit the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok (4 hour bus ride) to get an "Income Affidavit."  I can easily get this "Residence Affidavit" at the same time.  However, the embassy and the MFA are nowhere near each other and we don't have transportation other than bus/taxi. And this is all after I find someplace to do the translation. Does the MFA and translation services do these things while you wait? If not, we could be staying in a hotel in Bangkok for 3 or 4 days $$$, before the 4 hour bus ride home...

Wow...great information!! I feel somewhat better knowing that what I'm going through may not be that unusual. One question, though. Did you need to have your embassy document translated into "Thai" for your local transport office?

Thanks for this post!! 

DH

Hi No Thai translation needed for the transport office. Mine was in English and the two samples she gave me were in English/French for the Canadian one and French for the French one.

NB For the CoR at the UK embassy they would not take my Thai-only rental agreement (land is in g/f brother's name) but thankfully they accepted half a dozen delivery notes from Lazada which had the home address identical to the blue book. When i gave them the house contract they astutely pointed out ' this is in Thai'.

Glad to help. I think being in the sticks has advantages sometimes, but not always, as you soon find out!

10 hours ago, stud858 said:

Let's take this scenario.  I get my IDL from Australia valid for one year and it states that Thailand is part of the Geneva agreement.  I only intend to drive after 7 months into my 1 year stay.  That would mean the permit would be useless because of the so called 3 month or 6 month rule that is mentioned above.  Doesn't seem reasonable.  I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that my 1 year permit isn't valid for 1 year.  I'll take it as hearsay for now regarding time limit.

My Thai insurance company says all is good for the year.  I actually called them. Some insurance companies may have a certain differing policy that is confused with people thinking it is the law.  The "law/agreement" is able to be viewed online by reading about the Geneva convention licencing agreement between countries.

But, I could be wrong. Please pass on any official websites/phone numbers/offices that show otherwise.

As for people being duped and fined by unscrupulous officers saying otherwise . I'll just accept it as life tax and move on but one officer I chatted to on the street confirmed all I had to say here.

hi stud858 .... This is a common misconception regarding the Geneva accord between countries.

It allows a foreign tourist or visitor to drive in another country using their valid home country driver licence or IDP.

Once you have outlived your tourist status, you are required to obtain a local licence. Tourist visas in Thailand are valid for 90 days maximum, so after 90 days you are technically no longer a tourist, and as such, you need to apply for a Thai licence.

You stated that you will be in Thailand for 1 year, hence you are not a tourist. You are a long term stayer. This logic applies to all countries signed onto the Geneva thingy, including Australia. (ie. a Thai tourist in Oz can use his Thai licence for 90 days only. Any visit longer than that, he'll need to get an Oz driving licence.)

Driving in Thailand on an IDP or home driving licence after 90 days stay is technically illegal, and really leaves a person vunerable to big problems in the case of an accident, theft, traffic violation etc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, electric said:

hi stud858 .... This is a common misconception regarding the Geneva accord between countries.

It allows a foreign tourist or visitor to drive in another country using their valid home country driver licence or IDP.

Once you have outlived your tourist status, you are required to obtain a local licence. Tourist visas in Thailand are valid for 90 days maximum, so after 90 days you are technically no longer a tourist, and as such, you need to apply for a Thai licence.

You stated that you will be in Thailand for 1 year, hence you are not a tourist. You are a long term stayer. This logic applies to all countries signed onto the Geneva thingy, including Australia. (ie. a Thai tourist in Oz can use his Thai licence for 90 days only. Any visit longer than that, he'll need to get an Oz driving licence.)

Driving in Thailand on an IDP or home driving licence after 90 days stay is technically illegal, and really leaves a person vunerable to big problems in the case of an accident, theft, traffic violation etc

I have an METV 60 day at a time tourist visa. I am always a tourist here no matter how many times I leave and reenter.

For those on permanent visas, Can you provide where you got this information from regarding IDL not being valid for long time visa stayers? I have never seen any official information of the like?

Just wanted to add this for those interested in IDL if finding the hassle of messing with medical certificates, address certificates, copying passports, translating, presenting at offices, dealing with staff etc etc a bit too much.

Wiki seems to generally show facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

One interesting new thing I have noticed is that there is a Grace period of 6 months too. see Wiki.

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Just wanted to add this for those interested in IDL if finding the hassle of messing with medical certificates, address certificates, copying passports, translating, presenting at offices, dealing with staff etc etc a bit too much.

One interesting new thing I have noticed is that there is a Grace period of 6 months too. see Wiki.

Don't understand what you are saying..

On 2/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, stud858 said:

I believe it because I have experienced it. Many may be having a good experience at the DL office.  If you want more of a chance to be hassle free go IDL is my advice. I haven't heard one story of issues with IDL. Anybody had any issues with IDL. If so, I would change my view.

IDP is only valid for 1 year, then you have to go back to your home country to apply for a new one !!

That's a lot more hassle than getting a Thai licence. Just renewed mine, after letting them expire, so now have nearly 6 years validity on both car and bike :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't understand what you are saying..

If you want to drive in Thailand and you are a foreigner it may be a better option to get an International Driver's Permit from your own country rather than try to obtain a Thai driver's licence.

The details of International Driver's Permit/Licence (IDP/L) are on Wiki.

Seek out your own countries official provider of the permit with the help of Google.

I found it better. You may too. Give it a go.

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

The grace period you mention is for the IDP expiring. 

It does state this on that wiki page. Which is 90 days here.

driving licences issued by a Contracting Party shall be recognised in the territory of another Contracting Party until this territory becomes the place of normal residence of their holder;

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

IDP is only valid for 1 year, then you have to go back to your home country to apply for a new one !!

That's a lot more hassle than getting a Thai licence. Just renewed mine, after letting them expire, so now have nearly 6 years validity on both car and bike :)

IDP can be obtained online.  I don't believe that you physically have to be in your own country.  The IDP can then be posted to you in Thailand.  I'll check on those details though. Thanks.

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

IDP can be obtained online.  I don't believe that you physically have to be in your own country.  The IDP can then be posted to you in Thailand.  I'll check on those details though. Thanks.

I would check if I was you, pretty sure you have to apply in your own country.

IDPs advertised online are generally fake ones...

• Like 2

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

Sure, you have to make sure you are getting it from your approved source.

In my case was RACV, australian road insurance company authorized to do so. All done online. 

Each person can confirm with their local traffic authority.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

driving licences issued by a Contracting Party shall be recognised in the territory of another Contracting Party until this territory becomes the place of normal residence of their holder;

I believe that each person announces their residential status with some provisos.

If I state I am an Australian resident with an Australian passport and address, then I am. If I want to say that I would like to be a resident of Thailand and apply for the residential papers then IDP would not be applicable. Go for a Thai licence in that instance.  If I abode in an apartment in Thailand for a full year it won't affect my normal residential status being Australia and I'm good to go for an IDP.

Side note. I believe this is how many tax dodge, by stating their residential addresses unrealistically.

I guess the law allows for unreal things to happen.

27 minutes ago, stud858 said:

RACV Australia says can post to Thailand. Check with your own country's official office.

18 minutes ago, stud858 said:

If I want to say that I would like to be a resident of Thailand and apply for the residential papers then IDP would not be applicable.

You don't have to apply for permanent residency for Thailand to be your place of of normal residence. I think the definition of normal residence in the context used is where you spend most of your time.

Every country has their own rules for being considered a resident for using a IDP or a driver's license from another country. As far as I know for Thailand it is 90 days.

18 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Side note. I believe this is how many tax dodge, by stating their residential addresses unrealistically.

For Thailand if you spend more than 180 days in a calendar year you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

22 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

It seems you can apply on-line with the RAC, they do state that Thailand require an IDP.

If you reside in LOS it is only usable for 90 days, your passport info will provide info to the BIB or insurance company there if you are being naughty. My insurance requires a printout of my LOS license, when l renew my license l send them a copy of it where they reply with a thank you..This is LOS, stay ahead of the game..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

It seems you can apply on-line with the RAC, they do state that Thailand require an IDP.

If you reside in LOS it is only usable for 90 days, your passport info will provide info to the BIB or insurance company there if you are being naughty. My insurance requires a printout of my LOS license, when l renew my license l send them a copy of it where they reply with a thank you..This is LOS, stay ahead of the game..

I'm getting contradicting info from one traffic Policeman I spoke to+Wiki+RACV (all in agreement)  and general comments here.

Can you please say where this 90 day number comes from?

I'd like to make sure myself if there is ever any slight mention of issues.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to apply for permanent residency for Thailand to be your place of of normal residence. I think the definition of normal residence in the context used is where you spend most of your time.

Every country has their own rules for being considered a resident for using a IDP or a driver's license from another country. As far as I know for Thailand it is 90 days.

For Thailand if you spend more than 180 days in a calendar year you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

This may be true and sounds like it should be the case.  "For tax purposes".  Not for IDL purposes.  What a great loop hole. Lawyers must have so much fun sitting around a table chatting. 

8 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I'm getting contradicting info from one traffic Policeman I spoke to+Wiki+RACV (all in agreement)  and general comments here.

Can you please say where this 90 day number comes from?

I'd like to make sure myself if there is ever any slight mention of issues.

Cheers

As I said, be ahead of the game...Read it all..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

This may be true and sounds like it should be the case.  "For tax purposes".  Not for IDL purposes.  What a great loop hole. Lawyers must have so much fun sitting around a table chatting. 

What you are failing to look at is the validity of any insurance, an IDP cannot be used indefinitely and in the event of an accident then this period of use could well be carefully looked in to, it would be very difficult for anybody to claim that they have only been using an IDP for xxx amount of months if they had held the insurance for a longer period, it is a risk I certainly would not ever think of taking, especially considering how relatively easy it is to get a Thai license and be sure of the legality.

I've seen that already.

The part relating to 90 days is referring to renting or hiring a bike or car. Is that what you mean?

Please direct me to the correct part in relation to 90 day limit.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

What you are failing to look at is the validity of any insurance, an IDP cannot be used indefinitely and in the event of an accident then this period of use could well be carefully looked in to, it would be very difficult for anybody to claim that they have only been using an IDP for xxx amount of months if they had held the insurance for a longer period, it is a risk I certainly would not ever think of taking, especially considering how relatively easy it is to get a Thai license and be sure of the legality.

Checked with my insurance company. All good. But yes, Each person should consider what you say.

Important advice.

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I've seen that already.

The part relating to 90 days is referring to renting or hiring a bike or car. Is that what you mean?

Please direct me to the correct part in relation to 90 day limit.

Cheers

I think it is plain to see that it doesn't matter if you own or hire a ride in LOS you have 90 days on your home license with IDP...If folk want to take a risk of the BiB burying you then that is up to them..

• For the benefit of others. Below is the text from TripAdvisor.
  • Transam has a point.  It's all at your own risk.  I've got my own car that insurance has okayed the IDL. If i don't get stung in relation to licencing I'm sure they'll find something else anyway.

Anyway back to the point. IDL is a great way to go in my opinion for most people. Do your research.

•  
  • The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required. To obtain a Thai drivers license requires a formal in-person application, as well as hold and be admitted to Thailand on a non-immigrant visa status. This link to the the Department of Land Transportation website explains the procedure.

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

I have an METV 60 day at a time tourist visa. I am always a tourist here no matter how many times I leave and reenter.

For those on permanent visas, Can you provide where you got this information from regarding IDL not being valid for long time visa stayers? I have never seen any official information of the like?

Interesting!

So do you take out a separate Insurance policy just to cover each stay as a Tourist.

• Like 1

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Interesting!

So do you take out a separate Insurance policy just to cover each stay as a Tourist.

Car is insured by my partner. She's confirmed details over the phone regarding me and my IDL and that I'll drive the car.

No issues.  I'll endeavour to get an email from them so I'll have proof and post back to you guys for some peace of mind that IDL may turn out to be not so evil after all.  Each person must call their insurance company and obtain the facts.

Don't leave anything to chance. An accident can leave you a lot of money down.

I hate to comment like this, but even with proof emails, video evidence, proper licencing, have a pretty face, anybody can still be done hard by in this world.

Be peaceful to one another.

17 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Checked with my insurance company. All good. But yes, Each person should consider what you say.

Important advice.

The important thing is that your insurance company are bound by the laws of Thailand, so if Thailand does have a law that states the maximum length of time that an IDP can used for, then the insurance would have to follow suit, unfortunately there isn't any 100% reliable English language information out there in this regard, to be honest, I would be amazed if there isn't something written in Thai law about this, most, if not all, countries do specify a period of time allowed before you must obtain a license of the country.

• Like 1

In the UK a foreigner has 1 year to get a UK driving license if planning long stay. If it is proven you have been in the country over that period your insurance is void and they impound your ride and prosecute for no insurance..Passport tells all.

In LOS the BiB would be dribbling at the payout, and if an accident they will aid the claimant...

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Car is insured by my partner. She's confirmed details over the phone regarding me and my IDL and that I'll drive the car.

No issues.  I'll endeavour to get an email from them so I'll have proof and post back to you guys for some peace of mind that IDL may turn out to be not so evil after all.  Each person must call their insurance company and obtain the facts.

Don't leave anything to chance. An accident can leave you a lot of money down.

I hate to comment like this, but even with proof emails, video evidence, proper licencing, have a pretty face, anybody can still be done hard by in this world.

Be peaceful to one another.

If you have a claim against you then I hope you asked them to put it in writing that you are covered for any period of time with an IDP. But, if you are driving over the 90 days you will still be accountable to the BiB...

In the UK a foreigner has 1 year to get a UK driving license if planning long stay. If it is proven you have been in the country over that period your insurance is void and they impound your ride and prosecute for no insurance..Passport tells all.

In LOS the BiB would be dribbling at the payout, and if an accident they will aid the claimant...

I will try and find Thai law or confirmations of rules with the authorities.  I'll visit the city hall, police stations around town and the transport office for a start.

Please join in and let's try and find the official rule of law. 

Probably could be found online in Thai language. Anybody who reads Thai fluently want to take on the project with me?

This will take time ladies and gents. Let this fact finding mission continue......