‘I want to create a better future for our country’: Rangsiman

webfact

‘I want to create a better future for our country’: Rangsiman

By The Nation

12b57d6032834d56c6baed52922d274b.jpeg

File photo: Rangsiman Rome

Student activist Rangsiman Rome, a key leader of the newly formed movement “People Who Want to Vote”, has earned fame as a staunch critic of the junta.

1fecd962d0c34acde9a3f2de4c364267.jpeg

The 25-year-old first came under the media spotlight when he led a “sandwich-eating protest” against military rule a month after the May 2014 coup. His involvement in protests has led to seven legal cases against him, with charges including instigating disturbances. Rangsiman talks to The Nation’s Somroutai Sapsomboon about his group’s campaign for an election and his plans for the future.

HAVE YOU FELT DISHEARTENED FACING LEGAL CASES FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING?

Certainly, I am only human. Those cases are not usual for someone who is 25 years old. But I have never thought of giving up my fight. I believe time is on my side – I am still young. I may not win today but I must win in the future. That’s when the NCPO [National Council for Peace and Order] loses its power and the country returns to democracy. Thailand will have to go back to the international democratic system some day. 

YOUR GROUP PLANS A FOUR-DAY DEMONSTRATION FROM MAY 19-22, ON THE FOURTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE COUP.

Our main goals are for the election date to be clearly announced – it must be in November, as the prime minister had said. And the NCPO must promise the people they will make no attempt to return to power after the election.

DOES THAT ALSO MEAN NCPO CHIEF PRAYUT CHAN-O-CHA MUST NOT COME BACK AS PRIME MINISTER?

It’s okay if General Prayut returns to power through the usual process. But the NCPO’s organs must not be used in an effort to give him an advantage over competitors.

YOUR GROUP IS DESCRIBED AS STAGING PROTESTS TOO REGULARLY.

That’s an attempt to discredit us. People should focus on the essence of what I say. If it’s useful to the country, you should heed it. People with good intentions towards the country must not be discredited. Thai society should look into the essence of what is said, rather than who says it or the political preference or position of that person.

IT IS ALLEGED THAT YOUR GROUP IS FUNDED WITH POLITICAL PURPOSES.

The NCPO has investigated us for almost four years and they have found nothing. If they did find something, they would not let us walk free. I see that allegation as an attempt to discredit us.

I have no connections with the red shirts. But I have something to do with the yellow shirts. Some people in my family supported the People’s Democratic Reform Committee and they joined the rally organised by the People’s Alliance for Democracy. 

My family members dislike Thaksin Shinawatra and they certainly will not vote for Pheu Thai Party. Yet their support for the NCPO has reduced, although they see no other choices than General Prayut or the NCPO. A lack of choices is a problem. It’s like we get out of the frying pan into the fire.

PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF STREET PROTESTS THAT ARE VIEWED AS PREVENTING THE COUNTRY FROM MOVING FORWARD.

I understand those who have that feeling. But the question is whether any other method exists to make our country get back to democracy. What kind of future could we expect from the existing system? I don’t want to do it this way but there is no other means to force the NCPO to keep their promise given to the people. So we have to take to the streets.

WHAT IS YOUR PLAN FOR THE FUTURE?

I have to complete my postgraduate studies within four years. I want to be a university lecturer. But today I have to do my duty as a Thai citizen. If an election is held today, I can get back to do what I want to. I come from a middle-class family [in Phuket] and society has given me opportunities. So I want to pay back. Being a lecturer teaching younger people and making them a key force in the country’s development should be a good thing to do.

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN ENTERING POLITICS?

I have no passion in that field. There must be other people who can do it better than me. My family already is not happy with me becoming a political activist and having problems with the law. I have disappointed my family, but my family cannot take care of me forever. I have to take care of myself while staying in this country so I want to create a better future for our country. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30339236

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-20
  • Like 1

this seems to have an underlying sinister motive in this man and group. Somehow this man and movement are being allowed to protest and being told they protest too many times when other groups are being charged, arrested and intimidated or thrown into boot camps. Then within the interview is family ardent supporters of the yellow shirts, major bets on long term democrat supporters just want an election but no to red shirts, no to peu thai etc. and the in the interview its okay for Mr P to carry on as PM. No sir its not okay Mr P to be PM. Mr P in any rule of law society with freedom of elections would by now be rotting in prison

• Like 1

i dont know too the history of arrests and charges for this gentlemen. Anyone wanting a fair election and better society would never allow mr P to be able to run for any election but want under a better society a rule of law which would then have mr P in jail.

so many others wanting real change have had to leave homes, been put in boot camps and are not allowed to protest. 

This gentlemen has been allowed interviews etc but crucially wanting an election with those in power allowed to to form a government.For me this is the reason he is allowed air time.

"I don’t want to do it this way but there is no other means to force the NCPO to keep their promise given to the people. So we have to take to the streets."

That is just going to force their "hand".

You better be ready.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Certainly eliminate the external funding source from Dubai. Good he made it clear. So what external funding source is the NCPO blabbering about. 

There is no external funding, they are just looking for excuses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, humbug said:

i dont know too the history of arrests and charges for this gentlemen. Anyone wanting a fair election and better society would never allow mr P to be able to run for any election but want under a better society a rule of law which would then have mr P in jail.

so many others wanting real change have had to leave homes, been put in boot camps and are not allowed to protest. 

This gentlemen has been allowed interviews etc but crucially wanting an election with those in power allowed to to form a government.For me this is the reason he is allowed air time.

If those in power get voted in I have no problems with them being in power, just like I would not have a problem with PTP being voted in. 

Would be nice if there was a good alternative but there is not.

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Certainly eliminate the external funding source from Dubai. Good he made it clear. So what external funding source is the NCPO blabbering about. 

I don't know. Personally I think he is wrong, I believe the money still flows from that source. My point is that Thailand has been there done that, the definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. I don't care if PTP are the next government, if they cut ties to the Shins, but they won't because they are all in it for the money. They proved it in the past, the poor people in the North East deserve better, when the Junta get's the boot, let's hope they get better than what they have, and what they have had.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

If those in power get voted in I have no problems with them being in power, just like I would not have a problem with PTP being voted in. 

Would be nice if there was a good alternative but there is not.

i am going to be polite about how i feel about your posts and how the show me that this is more of a job for you scouring the net with those huge yellow tinted goggles of yours.

A person who has come to power through illegal force and murder should be tried in a court of law first before he is allowed to be free to run in an election.

its not dificult to understand how mr P should be locked away. But this is the reason for this interview mr P benefits ftom it thats why its been allowed to get through the media tight rope controlled by this group.

The main problem is, according to yellow shirts, any party that is not in the Democrats party is an arm of the pt or controlled by the pt or paid by the pt. 

Therefore, in their minds, any party elected that is not the democratic party will result in street protests by Suthep and his thugs. 

Everyone knows that. 

Nobody wants anymore shutdowns. 

Nobody can afford another shutdown. 

So here we are with Prayuth ???

On 2/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, Eric Loh said:

Thaksins wealth is peanuts compared to established Thai elites. In 2011 the democrats still lost by a massive margin.