The New 'thai Epic' Out Now At The Cinema...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hi all,

just a quick warning if you are going to see the new Thai movie that was 3 years in the making (the one about the Burmese invasion and subsequent fight back of the Thais):

It comes in 3 chapters/episodes.

On the surface, this is fine.

However, if like me, you've been exposed to the adverts and marketing only showing epic battles and the like, be warned - most of that action happens in the following movies, not this one.

I sat through 3 hours of gloriously filmed footage (with no English subtitles either as we'd been given a face gaining 'mai mee', as opposed to a face-losing 'mai roo' by the young ticket person when we asked him if there were any screenings with English subtitles... :D ) only to have the lights come up before anything remotely resembling a decent swedge occurred. I was totally surprised! :D

To put it in perspective, it was like seeing the adverts of the battles from Lord of Rings 2 and 3, but actually getting to watch the Fellowship of the Ring (minus the last 10 minute scrap).

To say that I felt a little miffed (and sore bummed) is an understatement.

Overall, I can't fault the film itself - good acting, great costumes and sets... I mean, it's a good 'scene setter' for the following installments, but just be warned fellow TV'ers, that's all it is.

If this word of warning helps a hapless victim not to get caught out, then it has been worth it. :o

After all what can you expect ...TiT :D

only to have the lights come up before anything remotely resembling a decent swedge occurred. I was totally surprised! :o

For those of us who are native English speakers my electronic Concise Oxford Dictionary defines 'swedge' as an informal Scottish word meaning a fight or a brawl.

Thanks for improving my non-English vocabulary.

I saw it and liked it, good actiing, story, and scenery with english subtitles..................the only problem is, it is in three parts and just stops.............. hope it is not 3 years till the next chapter. I would recomend it

Saw it over the weekend, with subtitles. The first installment focuses on the king as a young prince being raised as a hostage at the court of Burma (Hongsawadee), and is fairly boring. The next two installments should be more action packed, as he seeks to restore Thai independence and keep the Thai throne (two kingdoms) under his bloodline. I believe the next two installments will be out this year as well – number two is already ready.

For all the money they spent on the film, you would think that the person proof reading the English would have gotten it correct – there were a number of spelling and grammatical errors. However, even if you speak a reasonable level of Thai and can follow the local news, I would still recommend the English subtitled version – there is a lot of royal language in the film which was really throwing me off.

I sat through 3 hours of gloriously filmed footage (with no English subtitles either as we'd been given a face gaining 'mai mee', as opposed to a face-losing 'mai roo' by the young ticket person when we asked him if there were any screenings with English subtitles... :o )

You poor sod. You are in Thailand, not England.

Solution = Learn Thai.

Not a Solution = Winge about it.

I sat through 3 hours of gloriously filmed footage (with no English subtitles either as we'd been given a face gaining 'mai mee', as opposed to a face-losing 'mai roo' by the young ticket person when we asked him if there were any screenings with English subtitles... :o )

Solution = Learn Thai.

It doesn't really sound like whinging.

Your Thai needs to be at a pretty high level to go and watch a period drama with no subtitles! So I don't think, "learn thai" is a good solution.

I saw it and liked it, good actiing, story, and scenery with english subtitles..................the only problem is, it is in three parts and just stops.............. hope it is not 3 years till the next chapter. I would recomend it

Saw it over the weekend, with subtitles. The first installment focuses on the king as a young prince being raised as a hostage at the court of Burma (Hongsawadee), and is fairly boring. The next two installments should be more action packed, as he seeks to restore Thai independence and keep the Thai throne (two kingdoms) under his bloodline. I believe the next two installments will be out this year as well – number two is already ready.

For all the money they spent on the film, you would think that the person proof reading the English would have gotten it correct – there were a number of spelling and grammatical errors. However, even if you speak a reasonable level of Thai and can follow the local news, I would still recommend the English subtitled version – there is a lot of royal language in the film which was really throwing me off.

The subs of the Thai cinema version of Suriyothai suffered from similar problems; the major one being the all too short amount of time they were shown on screen. I am a reasonably fast reader but still had problems keeping up. Experienced subtitle translators will summarize the dialogue when necessary, instead of trying to include every single word spoken.

Showing now

:o Yes and live in the “Province of Supanburi” until 1st February 2007. :D

Light and Sound Show” at “Don Chedi”. One and a half hours of this action packed show. Over appox. 200 to 300 actresses, actors, horses and yes, the must see, “Good Old Changs” as well in the show. An Excellent performance, thank you to “Province of Supanburi”.

The program brochure, is in both Thai and English, and at 100 baht for both Thais and Non-Thais, it was great to see.

Will post more tomorrow in the “Central Thailand” “Forum”.

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Solution = Learn Thai.

It doesn't really sound like whinging.

Your Thai needs to be at a pretty high level to go and watch a period drama with no subtitles! So I don't think, "learn thai" is a good solution.

Are you another one of these people who doesn't realize that you are in "Thailand" with a movie made for a 70 million + strong audience of "Thai" people who do have "Thai language ability at a pretty high level" !! Maybe you should wait for the Francis Ford Coppola version at Cannes. haha.

Normal jingoistic Burma-bashing <deleted> then? :o

Don't think I'll bother going to see it.

Actually, it was not presented that way at all. The King of Hongsawadee (burma) was very well acted, and brought a wonderful sense of depth to the character. He was a warlord, but one with a great sense of honor and "smarts". At the end of the film, when we talks to the head monk of how his own two sons are not worth to be king, and he hopes that Ong Dam (Naresuan) will come back and conquer his lands when he dies, so his people will have a good king - very interesting.

I found the subtitles displayed at central pinklao (EVG) to be excellent. Not to fast, and most of the jokes were very easy to understand. For those who are complaining without having seen it, ignore them and see for yourself. For those who complain about the lack of action in the first movie, Its called "PLOT DEVELOPMENT". Something that most people don't appreciate, in the days of the "5 minute attention span" that we live in.

2nd movie comes out in February, and final movie in December.

• 4 months later...

I know comment is quite late, but here it is! I felt it was pure propaganda. Trying to keep the Thais loyal to their country over family and also to hate outsiders. That's jut my take on it!

post-41560-1180160504_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheExpat